Talk

Advanced search

Are we all going to watch Girls tomorrow night?

(15 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Sun 21-Oct-12 16:49:46

At 10pm I've heard really good things about it. It's a hit with my gay boyfriends. I don't know why as I know nothing about it. Sky Atlantic.

magoosmom Sun 21-Oct-12 21:27:25

Yes! really looking forward to it, hoping it fill the sex and city void thats been in my life for the past few years

lighthousekeeping Mon 22-Oct-12 15:49:40

I've heard it's ten times better than that.

lighthousekeeping Mon 22-Oct-12 22:23:52

I'm in love with it already. It reminds me of something. Not SATC.

lighthousekeeping Mon 22-Oct-12 23:27:56

Although, now I've seen two I'm finding it quite hard to relate to their age group!

magoosmom Tue 23-Oct-12 19:45:35

have it recorded but wont get it watch today either, sounds like it got mixed reviews.... hated SATC in the beginning too but ended up loving it

noddyholder Tue 23-Oct-12 19:46:24

I love the look of it but no sky atlantic sad

anonacfr Wed 24-Oct-12 13:50:34

Count me as hating it. I don't get what it's trying to be. It's not funny, the sex bits are literally pathetic.
Are we meant to feel sorry for those self-invoved dysfunctional girls or merely laugh at their inadequacies?

I found it cruel and rather painful to watch- there was a weird bullying aspect to it. The main character is clearly being sexually abused by her boyfriend and the rest of them are totally devoid of empathy.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 24-Oct-12 14:52:26

I quite enjoyed it (but am in the mood for ridiculous escapist nonsense at the moment). Reminded me of My So Called Life.

lighthousekeeping Wed 24-Oct-12 15:02:09

I don't think it's sexual abuse. We've all been there in our twenties. I don't know if I like it or not. I think my stumbling block is that I'm twenty years older than them.

anonacfr Wed 24-Oct-12 17:21:27

I've not been there in my 20s! There's a scene where he clearly implies that he's not used condoms every time they've had sex and I thought the sex scenes shown were sordid and verging on the non-consensual.
That's why I found the whole thing uncomfortable- are we supposed to laugh because she's not attractive and is desperate and as such 'deserves' bad sex? Or we supposed to feel sorry for her? Or is it meant to make us feel better about ourselves.

I'm 10 years older than they are and I don't remember being so immature and self-obsessed at that age.

anonacfr Wed 24-Oct-12 17:22:29

The other problem is that it's not 'escapist nonsense'- it seems to be trying so hard to be cool and edgy and quirky etc. which automatically puts me off.

MrsJohnDeere Wed 24-Oct-12 18:35:47

It is escapist nonsense for me because it is as far removed from my life as could be!

anonacfr Wed 24-Oct-12 19:02:22

Fair point! I guess to me escapist involves fun, like Revenge or Once Upon A Time. This is just depressing.

lighthousekeeping Wed 24-Oct-12 19:17:01

I think we need to give it a chance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now