Talk

Advanced search

Stand up to Cancer

(20 Posts)
CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 20:42:55

I'm finding it hard watching. I lost dsis to this and other relatives and friends. I feel I need to watch though. My other sis is a cancer survivor so there's a good chance I'll end up with it?

It's so fucking awful, I HATE cancer angry I just hope they find a cure and soon?

owlelf Fri 19-Oct-12 20:45:24

I'm watching too. Heartbreaking stories.

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 20:47:20

I know.

DS2 is 12 and gets so angry when he hears about it. He can't quite fathom how it's still happening?

Del123 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:07:07

I really wish they would put more money into researching the causes of cancer. I was at a cancer research presentation last year and they said very soon it will be 1 in 2 people diagnosed in their lifetime. A cure seems elusive, there are hundreds of different types of cancer so it won't be a one size fits all cure anyway. I have had breast cancer and whilst I am ok now I know it can recur at any time.
So many people are suffering, so much more research needs to be done as to why rates are sky rocketing.

I really hope some of the money raised tonight goes to this area.

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 19-Oct-12 21:31:11

I've just put it on.

Cheryl was shit.

I have lost my aunt at 42 to it and my mum is currently waiting for results to see if she does.

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 21:32:16

Sorry to hear about your cancer Del123, hope and pray it stays away.

I know there are so many types, both my sisters had different types. I've lost 2 friends to brain tumours, both young. Plus numerous others who I know who've had it in different forms.

Hate it sad

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 21:33:11

Oh Fanjo am so sorry to hear this. I hope to God your mum is ok?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 19-Oct-12 21:38:45

My aunt had lung and throat cancer which she fought but it came back ended up in.her liver too. She didn't drink or smoke either.

My mum has something up with her liver. Mum doesn't drink or smoke either. Just waiting for results now. No news is good news though I guess.

Del123 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:41:58

Thanks curious, I am 2 years out and crossing my fingers. I think people don't realise you are never out of the woods, especially with breast cancer and that is why this whole 'surviving cancer' isn't good enough. I would rather we had less people diagnosed, those are the numbers that need to fall.

Fanjo, I really hope your mum is ok.

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 21:42:38

I know a few who live such a clean life and get it. Makes you wonder doesn't it? My brother is an alcoholic and yes he has ailments but hasn't got cancer. Hopefully neither will he. He's more a social drinker now but he'll always have the addiction.

Yes no news is good news. It's awful the waiting.

Del123 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:46:08

True, that is why I feel so much more research needs to be done in to the causes. I feel I ate healthily, never smoked, exercised etc. Some people appear to be able to eat and drink whatever they like and they live long long lives.

Annoys me the blame culture in cancer.

Definitely no news is good news. They tend to move very quickly if cancer is suspected.

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 19-Oct-12 21:47:10

Mum doesn't seem worried, its like she's accepted she has it though results haven't come. It was her sister that died. My nannas brother also died from cancer.

I think she expects it as its been in the family.

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 21:51:35

Yes you do half expect it. I've had breast scares and tbh just thought 'well this will be my cancer then?' Sister who died had stomach cancer, survivor womb. I'm ok though afaik? My mum's 82 and has ailments, on warfarin etc... mild diabetes. But no cancer. Dad died at 57 so we don't know if he'd have ended up with it? His was heart, also rife in our family.

I'm not normally this miserable but the programme is a sharp reminder. It's just so frustrating that there's no cure on the horizon afaik?

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 19-Oct-12 21:53:23

My nanna died from a heart attack at 60.

Life span just get shorter in my family and I feel that's why my mum is just accepting it.

Del123 Fri 19-Oct-12 21:54:10

I think these days, due to the 1 in 3 figure then the prevalence in a family has to be significant for it to be genetic if you see what I mean?

My paternal aunt had breast cancer, my uncle died of throat cancer and my grandad of Leukaemia. My oncologist said as cancer is so common that is just a normal amount in a family and I would have to have 2 first degree relatives suffering to have genetic testing.

Of course your Mum will think the worst but only 15% of cancers are genetic.

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 19-Oct-12 22:22:32

The stories are heart breaking - we've been so lucky so far with dh. Long may it continue!

Programme is pretty shit though...

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 22:23:24

Yes it's not that watchable tbh. Bit of eye candy here though wink

InSPsFanjoNoOneHearsYouScream Fri 19-Oct-12 22:24:22

I'm disappointed with the show. Does anyone know what happened to cheryls voice at the begining? Or did they forgot to play the CD so she could mime?

JazzAnnNonMouse Fri 19-Oct-12 22:28:46

And why did leona lewis have sperm dancing on the screen behind her?

CuriousMama Fri 19-Oct-12 22:36:28

No it isn't good at all is it? Shame really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now