Talk

Advanced search

Friday night Dinner. It's not doing it for me.

(21 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Sun 14-Oct-12 22:21:23

I so wanted to like it as well.

TheRealAmyFarrahFowler Sun 14-Oct-12 23:36:51

Gad, how disappointing is it? So stupidly OTT.
Like you I really wanted to like it - first series was funny - but no.
Bleh.

foxymoon487 Mon 15-Oct-12 02:19:42

This series is not nearly as funny as the first

lighthousekeeping Mon 15-Oct-12 06:24:13

I was surprised when they commissioned a second series tbh.

ProfYaffle Mon 15-Oct-12 08:17:03

So pleased to find this thread. I thought the 1st series was OK, watched Ep 1 of series 2 on 4OD last night to catch up in time for the 2nd ep and was quite shocked at the awfulness of it. Poor old Tamsin Greig reduced to just saying "Boys!" every 30 seconds. Digitalspy seem to think it's hilarious though hmm thought I was going mad!

lighthousekeeping Mon 15-Oct-12 08:51:20

It's dire. I won't be watching again.

kerstina Mon 15-Oct-12 09:35:21

Your right it is not as funny as the 1st series. I know it is deliberate repeating the joke but eating butter as if its cheese was not that funny the 1st time !!
However I could not help giggling at the chaos of the last scene. It was often like that with the 1st series you would just be thinking why am I watching this rubbish and it would descend into complete silliness and make you laugh.
Think the ideal audience is 10 year old boys my DS loves it!

lighthousekeeping Mon 15-Oct-12 22:22:14

I think we will prefer the new Gina Mckee comedy that starts on Thursday, Hebburn. Its also got a Jewish theme from what I saw on the BBC this morning.

joanofarchitrave Mon 15-Oct-12 23:33:49

I got really fed up of the amount the boys were fighting. In the first series they would be behaving like adults and then suddenly flip into tormenting each other - in this episode they were like extreme 8-year-olds from start to finish. Nothing like as funny.

jessiegee Tue 16-Oct-12 21:23:03

I totally agree. Completely dreadful - badly written, badly acted, annoying, totally unbelievable and utterly infantile. Agree that it's like a kids programme.

wonderstuff Tue 16-Oct-12 21:26:11

I really like it.

LineRunner Tue 16-Oct-12 22:34:50

I did think that these were the man-boys that many posters on Relationships find themselves married to.

jalopy Wed 17-Oct-12 08:45:42

Love it. Second episode better than first. It's meant to be badly acted, annoying, infantile and unbelievable. That's why it's funny.

CrumblyMumbly Wed 17-Oct-12 08:55:23

I tolerate most of it because I love Jim, the strange neighbour, who is scared of his own dog! He makes me laugh every time.

RubyFakeNails Wed 17-Oct-12 11:48:07

I really enjoyed it. I loved the first series, although preferred when it was on Fridays because it fitted in quite nicely with our own friday night dinner ritual.

This series has been less funny so far but definitely seems to improve episode by episode.

Compared to some of the dire shit out there I don't think this is too bad, admittedly its hardly cerebral but at least it gives me a few laughs. Some of the characters, particularly the dad, and the behaviour of the boys rings quite true for me so maybe thats why I find it so funny.

lighthousekeeping Sun 21-Oct-12 22:17:29

At least Auntie Val is back in it tonight.

lighthousekeeping Sun 21-Oct-12 22:46:50

Another rubbish episode.

ScaryFakeNails Mon 22-Oct-12 01:16:27

Tonight was disappointing. The Lady Di bit was such an anti-climax.

Hopefully they're alternating humour and next week will be funnier. Although I'm not too hopeful.

toldmywrath Tue 23-Oct-12 21:38:11

I like it, but I find Jim the neighbour slightly menacing!

Bessie123 Tue 23-Oct-12 23:30:39

I love the bits with Val in

Bessie123 Tue 23-Oct-12 23:31:28

I find the dad too disgusting to watch though - does he make anyone else retch?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now