Talk

Advanced search

Location location location

(55 Posts)
Jux Thu 11-Oct-12 20:59:09

they're doing East Molesey. DH and I grew up a couple of miles away. In those days, East Molesey was the arse end of the universe; where the poor people lived, the roughest of the Council tenants were dumped. Dangerous and nasty.

We are greatly enjoying the fact that this particular couple may not actually be able to afford to live there, when they are clearly very well to do. In our day if you couldn't afford to live there, then you were seriously on your uppers.

The contrast between then and now is extraordinary, and making us laugh like drains.

Horsemad Thu 11-Oct-12 21:26:50

I watched this - couldn't believe Kirstie found a property on one of their designated streets & they didn't want to pay a fair price for it!!!

sailorsgal Thu 11-Oct-12 21:31:40

I wish I had their budget. grin

CiderwithBuda Thu 11-Oct-12 21:31:59

I know Horsemad! Unbelieveable! Property not even on market yet. Why on earth would the owners agree to sell for so much less than their asking price!

I don't know East Molesey at all but do know some parts of Surrey well. House prices there are why we decided on Somerset on returning to UK after years overseas. We lived in Ewell for a few years and did well on the house we owned there but DH was panicking at the thoughts of current Surrey prices.

exoticfruits Thu 11-Oct-12 21:44:36

They were mad. They couldn't afford any house they wanted in such a small area. They leafleted the house-why on earth would the owners take a low price when they hadn't even put it on the market?! Common sense says they need to change the area.

Arithmeticulous Thu 11-Oct-12 21:49:53

We decided that they couldn't change the area because otherwise they'd lose the school place.

exoticfruits Thu 11-Oct-12 22:00:25

It can't be the only good school in Surrey!! There were no houses for sale in their 18 streets and they couldn't afford the ones they liked, even if they were for sale!

sailorsgal Thu 11-Oct-12 22:01:20

I thought they were crazy but then realised it was probably down to school catchment area.

noddyholder Thu 11-Oct-12 22:02:21

These programmes are full of the most ungrateful people I have ever seen. Their 'requirements' are ridiculous!

AKissIsNotAContract Thu 11-Oct-12 22:03:40

I missed the end. What did they offer on the house? Was it refused?

exoticfruits Thu 11-Oct-12 22:06:35

Yes-it was refused-they offered far too low when they hadn't even put it on the market.

exoticfruits Thu 11-Oct-12 22:07:11

Sorry-can't remember what they offered, but way below what they wanted.

mrspink27 Thu 11-Oct-12 22:14:07

840 and then 870

Horsemad Thu 11-Oct-12 22:15:06

They offered 830k I think. Was up for 927k!

RandomMess Thu 11-Oct-12 22:16:29

Ended up getting one over the road that needed work doing to it!

Horsemad Thu 11-Oct-12 22:17:21

Yes, was 840 as mrspink says.

Horsemad Thu 11-Oct-12 22:18:38

That was the other couple random

wonderstuff Thu 11-Oct-12 22:21:36

The primary coundn't possibly have only had a catchment of 18 streets all with price of around a million surely? I loved the first house they showed them. What does one do to be able to spend £950K on a house?

OldBagWantsNewBag Thu 11-Oct-12 23:48:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

diddl Fri 12-Oct-12 08:54:00

OMG it was fucking hilarious.

What made you think the couple were well to do, Jux?

Seemed very ordinary to me.

Jux Fri 12-Oct-12 12:47:28

Certainly well to do in comparison with us! We couldn't even think about houses in that price range! They looked well heeled, but people can dress up a bit for tv, I expect. (Even if I dressed up, I wouldn't look like that, though. grin )

I suppose I was still thinking of East Molesey as I knew it, when it was a place where the dregs of society were dumped, alongside people who couldn't afford Surbiton, Wimbledon, Ewell (which was also a bit down-market). That's really what was making me laugh. Along with the knowledge that we could never afford to,live there ourselves, either!

redskyatnight Fri 12-Oct-12 12:51:46

I had a big row with DH over the school catchment. I pointed out to DH that if they were moving before their eldest started school then they actually needed to move before school applications closed (so they had an address in catchment). DH pointed out that people who had 950K to spend on a house were probably going to send their DC to private school (sweeping generalisation alert). But then neither of us could work out why they were so set on just 18 streets!

diddl Fri 12-Oct-12 12:53:52

Oh yes-the money-well, that´s only a dream amount to us as well!

So well off, yes.

I suppose I think of well to do as well spoken, which they didn´t especially strike me as.

Galaxymum Fri 12-Oct-12 13:24:55

DH and I had a good giggle at this last night. We're planning to move and have such an open area but his parents (also moving) have a list of four roads they want to live on. We're thinking of sending them to Kirstie and Phil!

whatkungfuthat Fri 12-Oct-12 13:42:14

I missed the last quarter of this. The 18 streets people were clearly arses but did the other couple buy a house near the water in the end?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now