Talk

Advanced search

Jewish Mother of the Year

(10 Posts)
jessiegee Tue 09-Oct-12 12:53:53

Anyone else dreading this? Am waiting for every Jewish Mother stereotype to be hammed up (if you'll excuse the unkosher turn of phrase) to cringe point. It sounds like it's going to be another Strictly Kosher but possibly even more unrepresentative of most Jewish people. Will be watching with cushion to hide behind. Anyone else think the whole idea is hugely in bad taste? Would they ever make a 'Moslem Mother of the Year' or 'Catholic Mother of the Year?' do you reckon?

Davros Tue 09-Oct-12 13:48:44

I believe its a documentary about a competition run by Jewish News so it ought to be authentic. I am going to watch and let DH's sisters know its on (if they're not in it!)

sleepdodger Tue 09-Oct-12 13:56:18

When is it on?

gingergran Tue 09-Oct-12 15:05:54

I know two of the women who could not be more different. One is a typical Jewish Princess, very well off and flashy, who is not observant at all and the other is a religious mother of 6 who teaches part time in my children's school and is mad as a box of frogs!

I think I will also be watching through my fingers and cringing but we'll see - maybe it will be different this time!

MrsMicawber Wed 10-Oct-12 01:37:11

Gingergran, your last description was apt if not a bit too mild.

Davros Wed 10-Oct-12 09:32:11

So what did everyone think?!

jessiegee Wed 10-Oct-12 14:19:58

It was everything I thought it would be and worse Davros. Just confirmed every stereotype anyone is likely to have about Jewish women. The whole premise of the programme is just so insulting imo. It had nothing new, fresh or intelligent to say and wasn't even entertaining. We've had centuries of being thought of in a bad light as a religion/race and stuff like this just makes us look like a load of bitchy, bossy, self-righteous, over-indulgent princesses. Yak yak yak. We've taken a huge step backwards with programmes like this, Citizen Khan and Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.

BobbiFleckmann Wed 10-Oct-12 14:24:23

gingergran, the princess did herself and Jewish women absolutely no favours at all and I can only imagine what her husband and daughters are saying to her today. What was she thinking?

the only really interesting one is the Irish lady who is literally one in a million in the midst of a catholic country with only one kosher outlet.

BobbiFleckmann Wed 10-Oct-12 14:26:01

(in contrast, the first 15 minutes of the recent show about Manchester jews seemed sympathetic, informative & intelligent. This is reality telly bollox at its very best / worst)

gingergran Thu 11-Oct-12 07:17:58

I agree Bobbi that she did herself no favours and I not her biggest fan in rl either. However, it is undeniable that she represents a section of the community, particularly in the area that she lives, who are spoilt and have done from having a rich daddy to having a rich husband.

She doesn't represent me but then again nor do any of the other women on the programme

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now