Talk

Advanced search

So many (good) American sitcoms.

(22 Posts)
TheRealAmyFarrahFowler Tue 02-Oct-12 19:29:55

I do love American sitcoms. Right back from Roseanne and Cheers, through Scrubs, Friends, Malcolm, through to The Big Bang Theory and Curb your Enthusiasm. And loads more besides.
But in the couple years I've been a bit disappointed with stuff like New Girl and 2 Broke Girls.
Then, this summer, I discovered Modern Family and Rules of Engagement (and a little bit How I met your Mother but not sure yet) and I love them!
Any others I might have missed/be missing? And how great is it to discover you love stuff that is ALWAYS on at least one channel?

cocolepew Tue 02-Oct-12 19:33:09

The Middle is usually on before Modern Family it's good. Going back a few years Everybody Loves Raymond.

Sparklingbrook Tue 02-Oct-12 19:33:21

The Middle is very funny.

twolittlemonkeys Tue 02-Oct-12 19:33:32

I like lots of the ones you mention above. Have seen a few episodes of Mike & Molly which are pretty funny too - about two people who meet at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting. BBT is probably my favourite but I love HIMYM, Scrubs, Friends etc.

LineRunner Tue 02-Oct-12 19:45:12

I really like 2 Broke Girls. I was so glad I found it by channel hopping!

Their accents are wonderful. Funny script. Mental plots.

LeeCoakley Tue 02-Oct-12 19:45:37

I love them too! Before Roseanne I loved Kate and Allie and The Golden Girls. ALF was (is) my all time favourite I think. So many great one-liners. Not keen on current stuff but have really got into The Big Bang Theory recently. Have only got Freeview so when I go babysitting I have a ball watching back-to-back sitcoms! Family Guy is what I watch the most. (Although not a sit-com as such) Hilarious.

wintera Tue 02-Oct-12 19:47:40

Another one here recommending The Middle, its great!

TheRealAmyFarrahFowler Tue 02-Oct-12 19:51:44

Oh yes of course - The Middle. Yep - love that one too.

RedBlanket Tue 02-Oct-12 19:51:49

Modem family and the Middle are back on Friday. Modern family is my favourite programme ever, I can't wait.

Rutherford Wed 03-Oct-12 16:46:24

Can't wait for new Modern Family and The Middle!
HIMYM is dragging on a bit but some very funny moments if you stick with it.
Recently discovered Rules of Engagement and Mike and Molly to fill my sitcom void grin
Cougar Town with Courtney Cox?
Waiting for new Big Bang Theory to start...

Gunznroses Wed 03-Oct-12 16:52:03

I still cannot understand what was so mind blowing about "Frasier" confused

cocolepew Wed 03-Oct-12 16:54:41

I loved Frazier, Niles was my favourite.

LineRunner Wed 03-Oct-12 16:55:10

Lilith and Niles made it.

Gunznroses Wed 03-Oct-12 17:00:56

Just didnt find any of it funny, whereas "friends" i only had to watch for 5 mins and i'd be wetting myself. Tried frasier about 4 times after half an hr i gave up each time, just not my kind of humour.

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Oct-12 17:01:21

And to think Lisa Maxwell was nearly Daphne. shock

LineRunner Wed 03-Oct-12 17:03:02

Lisa Maxwell? Dear lord.

I also liked Ros.

cocolepew Wed 03-Oct-12 17:03:33

I love the way Lisa Maxwell says, when it's brought up in interviews, that she was glad she didn't get the part because she wouldn't have been in The Bill otherwise.
Yeah, right hmm.

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Oct-12 17:05:17

And wasn't Patsy Kensit nearly Emily in Friends?

LineRunner Wed 03-Oct-12 17:09:20

I really love Janice in Friends. What a fantastic actress.

And then OTOH there's Lisa Maxwell and Patsy Kensit, playing themselves in everything they're in.

wintera Wed 03-Oct-12 17:16:55

Little bit of trivia here but Lisa Kudrow who was Phoebe in Friends was originally supposed to play Ros in Frasier but was replaced. Worked out ok for her though cos then she got the part in Friends and the rest is history as they say!

Sparklingbrook Wed 03-Oct-12 17:21:26

Perhaps Lisa Maxwell could have been Phoebe. grin

LineRunner Wed 03-Oct-12 17:37:31

Lisa Maxwell could have been Phoebe's annoying spare head, like Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now