Talk

Advanced search

Will you watch Room at the Top for me tonight?

(14 Posts)
lighthousekeeping Wed 26-Sep-12 16:45:38

BBC4 at 9pm. I've got to watch the Sopranos but I'm recording it. I will watch it if you all like it. I'm still getting over my disappointment of The Paradise last night

MrsBovary Wed 26-Sep-12 20:44:54

I'm going to watch this one. I was another disappointed by The Paradise.

lighthousekeeping Wed 26-Sep-12 20:50:49

Please do and I'll watch it later. My friend said its used fan locations in Manchester. I do love Maxine Peake

MrsBovary Thu 27-Sep-12 08:09:11

This was far better than The Paradise, I think it would perhaps be worth watching.
Goodness me, though I should have guessed really, Maxine Peake plays the older love interest. She's only a little older than me! She's very good in the part, actually.

GettinTrimmer Thu 27-Sep-12 11:46:37

Just seen this on catch-up and really enjoyed it smile best drama I've seen on TV for a while. Maxine Peake was excellent, playing a strong woman (she does that brilliantly!).

Also the guy was brilliant, predatory with women and very compelling.

SaguaroBlossom Thu 27-Sep-12 21:25:08

Watching Episode 2 now, he's being even more ... compelling.

Blackberryinoperative Fri 28-Sep-12 17:13:42

I loved it!, he is so gorgeous. How many episodes is it?

MurielTheActor Fri 28-Sep-12 18:19:48

Love Love LOVE grin
One of my favourite books and I also love the Laurence Harvey movie.
Deeply sexy story and, yes completely compelling.
I am totally in love with this new production.
Just fabulous!

There was a second book Man at the Top. Hopefully they will do that one as well.

Pantah630 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:24:48

I loved this, even DH watched and enjoyed it. Maxine Peake played Alice exceptionally well. I wonder how long Joe and Susan will last, wouldn't think it would be happily ever after there, what with her being a 10 and all smile

slartybartfast Sun 30-Sep-12 09:42:47

watched this last night. sad for the excellent maxine peake.

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sun 30-Sep-12 22:29:23

Just watching it now. Really good, I love Maxine peak. The guy who plays Joe, was he the chap Hattie Jaques had the affair with inter BBC4 dramatisation?

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sun 30-Sep-12 22:29:41

Or Peake even...

janesnowdon1 Sun 30-Sep-12 23:35:35

I watched it on catch up too whilst off with the flu (had not seen it advertised)- thought it was great and like others very impressed by Maxine Peake. Joe was not a nice guy - wouldn't like to be his young wife! May have to look out for the second book Muriel mentioned to see how things pan out.

Laurence Harvey in the old movie was very handsome too.

Ethelred - I think the guy in Hattie was played by Aiden Turner (Mitchell from Being Human,Rosetti in Desperate Romantics who is now off being a dwarf in the new Hobbit movie) Joe was played by Matthew McNulty who was the special powers dealer in the last series of Misfits. Both though are exceedingly handsome young men IMO!

The Paradise was simply dire- writing by numbers - only managed 10-minutes. How dare they use the title and theme of a Zola novel for such drivel.

How come the BBC always hide away and hardly advertise wonderful drama such as Room as the Top ??

EthelredOnAGoodDay Mon 01-Oct-12 21:37:40

Jane I have no idea... When mad men first started they had it on bbc4 and I think it was repeated on bbc2 in some crazy late night/early morning slot. And it seemed to never be advertised. We only knew about it cos I think at the time the Radio Times did a preview feature on it, so we thought it would be worth a try, so we looked it up and we loved it. I can't understand why they make/buy these fantastic dramas, which are then shown once and never seen again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now