Talk

Advanced search

Mummifying Alan - on Ch4.

(18 Posts)
Sidge Mon 24-Oct-11 21:48:40

Anyone else watching? DD1 and I are watching it together, it's really quite fascinating.

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 22:09:00

i am now on +1.

I want a chromotograph gas spectrometer in my kitchen.

MissMunsterMogwi Mon 24-Oct-11 22:10:33

I am. It's very interesting isn't it. I like how they've filmed it, hearing Alan all the way through.

Sidge Mon 24-Oct-11 22:24:39

Me too MissMunster - he sounds like he was a lovely man.

Zombies do you think you'd have much use for a CGS in your kitchen then? grin

YourCallIsImportant Mon 24-Oct-11 22:32:40

I imagine that scientist's neighbours are a bit hmm about him.

KurriKurri Mon 24-Oct-11 22:44:05

I'm watching now on +1, I really like Alan and his wife.

I don't think the slightly creepy music is necessary though.

monkeywench Mon 24-Oct-11 23:03:34

Watching on +1. The bit about flies has made me decide I'd prefer to be cremated rather than buried smile.

smartyparts Mon 24-Oct-11 23:05:21

Agree re horror film music.

It was both bizarre and fascinating. The technician seemed overly fond of dead Alan. Dh and I thought she might take him home at the end.

PersonalClown Mon 24-Oct-11 23:05:23

Sky+ ing it for later.

It's fascinating. I don't know the bloke and think he's brilliant!

smartyparts Mon 24-Oct-11 23:08:24

How old is your DD Sidge?

My 13 yr old had +ed it, but I have deleted it as I thought it was a bit gruesome in parts blush.

<Hopes he'll forget he recorded it>

monkeywench Mon 24-Oct-11 23:10:24

LOL at Tutankham-Alan!

ZombiesAteYourCervix Mon 24-Oct-11 23:12:54

That body farm is quite possibly the most disgusting thing I have ever had the misfortune to hear about.

Alan is a good chap.

BigFatSpider Mon 24-Oct-11 23:14:19

Fascinating stuff - what a gift the self-styled Tutanalan has given to science! Agree about the OTT sound track, and Stephen bearing more than a passing resemblance to Craig Revel-Horwood is also slightly off-putting...

AmberLeaf Mon 24-Oct-11 23:16:43

What a lovely couple they are, Alan seemed like such a nice, happy man.

Really interesting.

KurriKurri Mon 24-Oct-11 23:43:09

Wow - Alan's mummy looked amazing, how fascinating, and how incredible that people were using this complex technique so long ago.

I loved his wife's reaction when she saw the mummy, - kind of 'look at you lording it Alan!' -she was lovely.

Sidge Tue 25-Oct-11 11:51:36

smartypants DD1 is nearly 13. I offered to turn over but she said it was OK which surprised me as she's normally a bit squeamish. I think because it was quite "sciencey" she found it less gruesome.

I did laugh at the overly friendly technician - she was very sweet and respectful but I think she'd overdone the tanning a bit and looked half mummified herself. It was good to see them take such good care of Alan.

AmberLeaf Tue 25-Oct-11 12:10:08

Wasnt his wife lovely?

I didnt watch the first showing, I watched it on ch4+1 because I got scared at the start by the egyptian mummies they were showing [silly wuss emoticon]

I was touched by his wife wanting to feel Alans hands, I thought it may be a bit wierd but I was surprised by how appropriate it all seemed.

BehindLockNumberNine Tue 25-Oct-11 12:16:55

Dh and I watched this last night, I wish I had taped it for science mad DS.

Alan seemed like a wonderful man. I loved how Alan's voice was heard throughout the programme.
A fascinating insight into an old process with a lovely personal angle due to Alan's voice.

His wife is lovely - I loved how she could laugh about what what was being done to him (sleeping again?, floating about in a tank having a whale of a time, etc). She is great!

There was indeed one shot of the female technician where she was looking either sad or serious and her face did look a bit overtanned and mummified. She was great though, the whole team took great care of Alan and I like that they never forgot they were dealing with a human being and did not get carried away with the scientific experiment side of it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now