Talk

Advanced search

Masterchef - now I know that I'm really unobservant...

(17 Posts)
wahwahwah Sat 22-Oct-11 09:20:45

Buy I hadn't realised that Michael Caines had only one hand. I know that I am probably the only person in the world who didn't know that!

saythatagain Sat 22-Oct-11 09:23:49

I think you may be! I goggled his gaff....thought it would be lovely to stay, then I saw the prices, fell down with shock and realised Im rather poor....!!!

MilkNoSugarPlease Sat 22-Oct-11 10:58:39

No your not the only one who didn't know that!!

But then again, up until 3 days ago, I didn't realise Liza minnelli was Judy garlands daughter!!

HarrietJones Sat 22-Oct-11 11:26:46

I didn't know either & watched loads with him on until dh pointed it put.

wahwahwah Sat 22-Oct-11 18:31:45

DH spotted it too. Maybe its a boy thing to notice. I wonder if it was something that jappened after he became a chef - I can't imagine being able to do all those fiddly things with one working hand.

I worked in the same office as someone with one arm and it was about a year before I noticed!

wahwahwah Sat 22-Oct-11 18:48:21

Er - Liza is Judy Garland and Vincente Minelli's daughter!

purpleturtletoise Sat 22-Oct-11 18:53:56

He lost his arm in a car accident after he'd trained, I think.

wahwahwah Sat 22-Oct-11 18:57:04

Imagine losing your right hand - that would be terrible. You'd have to relearn so many things (assuming you were right handed to start with).

i didn't know till a few months ago when there was a thread about people with disabilities making it to the tops of their professions.

KatieMortician Sat 22-Oct-11 19:11:03

Oh I thought this thread would be by someone like me who watched yesterday's show (complete with custard slice and cup of tea) and failed to actually notice who won.

And only realise this morning that I hadn't noticed blush

wahwahwah Sat 22-Oct-11 20:15:45

He was blubbing again, the big softie! Quite sweet really. We are big fans of the programme in our house!

iarebaboon Sat 22-Oct-11 20:31:17

So you're not taking about him off the films then?

Abcinthia Sat 22-Oct-11 20:38:56

I've seen him on other cookery shows but I've never noticed that.

triplets Sat 22-Oct-11 23:40:11

What a mess up this year with the programmes! I have been recording all the stupid time afternoon shows then watching them in the evening. Watched yesterdays last night, the final. So then they come out, stand awaiting the result and the prog finishes without telling you!!! So then I am scouring the paper in a panic, see that tonight they are replaying the final again...........only this time they announced the winner at then end, glad Phil won but what a coq au vin up!!

Maryz Sat 22-Oct-11 23:57:17

Yes, I had it on series record, and odd ones weren't included in the series for some reason and had to be recorded separately. This week Monday was separate, and also today's programme.

Which I missed shock. ds tells me that Phil won (and I'm delighted) but I would have liked to see it.

And to add insult to injury, I'm in Ireland and can't access BBC iplayer [grumpy].

I missed the Saturday show too, my Sky+ has been playing up this week though so I blamed that. We sat down last night to watch the Friday and Saturday programmes, got through Friday's and realised the last one hadn't recorded, grrrr. I googled the result, didn't realise it was going to be on agin tonight.

I have only been dipping in and out of the series as there are just too many shows, I'm glad Phil won, I think he was the best of the finalists.

Greg isn't irritating me half as much as he used to either, which is good.

schroeder Mon 24-Oct-11 20:32:39

Cor I was impressed with him making tortellini on saturday kitchen, but never noticed his other hand was prosthetic shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now