Talk

Advanced search

Later, Jools, Later

(16 Posts)
Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:11:08

Well, Pete Gabriel was pretty awful; a bit like an old man trying to pretend that his (very) old song had some relevance by using an orchestra because he hasn't got enough mates to make up a decent band.

Why do these old guys always (generally) grow those silly little grey beards and shave their heads. We know you've got no hair, or if you have that it's grey because your beard is grey.

Please stop kidding yourself that your 3-minute wonder is akin to anything of Mozart's just because you're got a load of classical musicians playing it.

OK, bitchfest over.

Enjoyed Noah and the Wale, though.grin

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:13:52

This however is dross; and it's in 4/4 time but someone is very badly out (that's what dh said; I thought it was a way of trying to make the song more interesting, even though it doesn't work).

said Tue 11-Oct-11 22:17:22

Yawn at Noah & the Whale - dull song

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:21:44

Horrors (sp?) were just htat imo. Mind you, I am old and not really cut out for this grin

I think I might quite like this girl, though I'll withhold judgement on the song until it's gone on a little longer.

Hi! Thought I was the only one....

said Tue 11-Oct-11 22:23:06

Going to see her soon but her voice is going a bit off here hmm

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:24:54

Actually, I think she's dreadful on 2nd thoughts. And the song's really boring.

said Tue 11-Oct-11 22:25:53

Well,the tickets were cheap grin

lovelychops Tue 11-Oct-11 22:31:16

I was quite alarmed by the state of Peter Gabriel - don't quite know what I thought he looked like, but his whole 'look' isn't really doing it for me! He should know better.

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:34:21

grin @said.

PG needs to have a pipe and slippers by the fire.

Dull, Jules, dull.

In fact, it's sent me to sleep so I'm going to bed. Night night.

JeremyVile Tue 11-Oct-11 22:38:39

Loved The Horrors, Lana Del Rey...hmm, absolutely love that song but live she sounded, not quite dodgy but like she might just cry any second.

Rest was a bit meh.

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 22:47:29

I frequently wonder if BBC sound engineers actually know what anything other than classical music is meant to sound like. DH says that they just use engineers who are completely snobby about music and if it's not classical then it's shit and will sound like it, so they don't try very hard.

I have found Later to be one of the worst in terms of sound reproduction; the engineers really don't seem to know what they're doing.

lovelychops Tue 11-Oct-11 22:54:55

I always longed to be in the audience for Later.. These days I'm not so sure!

mycatsaysach Tue 11-Oct-11 23:14:59

used to have great line ups - now not worth watching i wonder if budget has been cut??

kitya Tue 11-Oct-11 23:17:46

Its like flogging a dead horse now, isnt it? I dont even watch it anymore.

Peter Gabriels look is probably due to having a much younger, gorgeous wife.

Jux Tue 11-Oct-11 23:30:59

I was lucky enough to go when he had Dr John - who was fantastic. Also P J Harvey, who was also fantastic but not quite as much.

MsHighwater Tue 11-Oct-11 23:37:30

I really liked Peter Gabriel. Still in great voice at 61 and, as for his look, he's always been unconventional. I'd rather a balding man shaved his head than wore a comb-over.

Who else is doing real, live music anyway? It's about airing poeple who don't necessarily all have great exposure already. That means they're not all mainstream so you won't like them all already. I wasn't keen on The Horrors or a couple of the others. Next week will probably have more that's to my taste.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now