Talk

Advanced search

Sandhurst

(16 Posts)
mothmagnet Tue 04-Oct-11 21:19:37

Did anyone watch this documentary series on BBC4?
It was brilliant, they even address the class system, a bit anyway.

It's a good change from the Channel4 documentary style as well, still a storyline but not sensationalist.

Bugsy2 Tue 04-Oct-11 21:34:26

Yes, really enjoyed it. Was a bit slow to start with, but got better & better. Great to see that twat, Harbord, get his comeuppance!

mothmagnet Tue 04-Oct-11 22:08:22

I felt sorry for him at the end, but yes, probably the first challenge his background couldn't overcome. That was what was great, the people in charge saw through it all.
I do hope he improves and passes next time though.

Eldridge will definitely be appearing at some tory conference in the future. She started out a bit infuriating, but I was impressed at how articulate she was. Funny her stabbing that dummy though.

Bugsy2 Wed 05-Oct-11 08:57:54

Yes, she was impressive. Not sure her leanings were Tory though - did you hear what she said about Lenin? Interesting views. I was impressed by the training. At first, I couldn't quite get my head around it, but by the end I saw how it all fitted together & actually forced them to question their own motivations about why they wanted to be in the Army and to really dig deep & see their strengths & weaknesses. I kept wondering to myself if I could have done it.

TheMitfordsMaid Wed 05-Oct-11 09:01:57

Yes, I really enjoyed this.

I worked with someone who went there and I couldn't help but think of her in some of the training exercises. I really am quite in awe of her now.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 05-Oct-11 09:11:38

I thought I was the only one watching this. I loved it and I am the biggest pacifist ever.
I think it was to do with my crush on the former electrician blush
I was glad that Harboard had to re do it, I am not entirely sure what beagling is, but the idea that that or Polo would increase your fitness is laughable.
The episode where the soldier with the clergy father was well done too.

notyummy Wed 05-Oct-11 09:18:49

DH and I both watched this. We went through Cranwell, the RAF officer equivalent, and I was later a member of the Cranwell Directing Staff (the assessing officers who you saw with the cadets at Sandhurst.) Cranwell is similar to Sandhurst in some ways but not as physically demanding I think - the RAF is very different fighting force and mental agility and technical skills are arguably more highly prized than physical fitness. That said, we did a lot of PT, and things like the log run and the marches on the moors are done (or certainly were done until very recently) at Cranwell as well. I enjoyed watching it and was getting v frustrated by Harcourt and his utter failure ti improve ('What sport have you done this term?' 'Polo' What sport did you do last term?' 'Shooting.' hmm Try running and circuit training, you lazy git.)

TheMitfordsMaid Wed 05-Oct-11 10:18:19

I share your crush on the lovely former electrician. blush

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 05-Oct-11 13:08:52

Wasn't he gorgeous? He reminded me of my first boyfriend in both looks and manner of speaking. Loved his take on clingy women - needy birds.

stressheaderic Wed 05-Oct-11 13:21:50

My brother went to Sandhurst.
Our family are what might be deemed very working class, both parents in manual jobs, we both attended bog standard comp in north of England. I was first person in entire family to go to Uni.
He applied at 17 and no-one thought he'd get in, but he did. He's now a high ranking officer in the army air force.
I watched this series, and couldn't be prouder.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 05-Oct-11 13:41:26

It certainly changed my views about it. I honestly thought that Sandhurst was only for people like royals, overseas royals and those who went to Eton and Harrow. I had no idea that women went there blush
I am still a pacifist though.

meditrina Wed 05-Oct-11 13:46:32

I saw some of it, and was impressed, especially by the whole ethos of "serve to lead".

The former electrician went to the Paras, didn't he. I should imagine he'll go down very well there.

I found the understated RIP at the end to Dan Clack, who was killed in Afghanistan (presumably between filming and transmission) to be very moving.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Wed 05-Oct-11 13:53:51

Yes, that was really poignant meditrina.

Bugsy2 Wed 05-Oct-11 14:34:00

I have quite a few friends who have either been through themselves or have other halves who have & they have gone up in my estimation! I spoke to one friend, who'd been, about the programme after the last one on Monday night & he said he thought it was a very fair reflection of what they go through.

proudestmum Fri 12-Oct-12 17:11:04

Dan Clack was my son. I've just found this reference and want to thank you for your kind words. It was purely by accident that the guy driving out of Sandhurst had the radio on on the sunday when Dan's name was first announced. The BBC were really good and asked if I wanted it left in. I said yes as it was as if it was there for a reason

calypso2008 Thu 18-Oct-12 14:52:13

You should be proud, proudestmum
So sorry for your loss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now