Talk

Advanced search

Terra Nova

(14 Posts)
HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 12:07:17

what a bucket o shite.

HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 12:34:36

on episode 2 and still shite.

if they were building a whole new world why did they pack so many big guns?

HelloSweetie Tue 04-Oct-11 12:35:00

and who elected beirdy guy to be leader?

strandednomore Tue 04-Oct-11 14:49:42

and why are they all americans? what happened to everyone else in the world?
agreed, pile of shite. The only thing that makes me wonder about watching any more was the drawings on the rocks at the end. But I hated pretty much every single character so not sure I'll bother....

VivaLeBeaver Tue 04-Oct-11 14:53:41

Total crap. I couldn't watch it all the way through.

Ephiny Wed 05-Oct-11 12:59:37

I've only seen the first one. Seems like it's basically a rehash of Outcasts - with a Star Gate, the dinos from Jurassic Park and the ending from Battlestar Galactica thrown in.

I'll watch another one to see if it gets better, but a bit disappointing. Didn't really like or care for any of the characters.

strandednomore Wed 05-Oct-11 13:23:00

I read a review which says that the 2nd episode is better but I can't see how it's going to improve massively unless they get rid of all their characters and bring in some new ones.
I wish, just for once, people acted like you would expect them to after going billions of years back in time/finding themselves the only humans left alive/reaching another planet. Instead they all carry on like it's the most normal thing in the world to suddenly find yourselves living in a different timezone and co-habiting alongside dinosaurs. Surely they should freak out just a little bit?

ArtyFartyPants Wed 05-Oct-11 13:57:08

I thought it was good and yes the second episode was much better. The three of the main characters are actually from the uk (dad, mum & oldest daughter).
As for the acting, it's not all that bad. How would someone know how to act if they were suddenly transported back it time? It has and never will occur.
Personally I'm excited for the next episode!

strandednomore Wed 05-Oct-11 14:09:45

arty - it's not the acting that I object to, it's the writing. It's the fact that after not seeing their imprisoned dad for two years, leaving behind everyone they know and love and then being transported not only back in time but into a very alien and potentially dangerous environment these people calmly go to bed with a cheery Waltons-like Goodnight all....

I think only the mum is a Brit? But she's living in the States. I want to know where all the French, Chinese, Brazlian, Russians etc are. If they've all been wiped out, fine - but it should be explained.

it's so obviously written for the American market!

limitedperiodonly Wed 05-Oct-11 15:27:40

I didn't realise it had started but I guessed it would be rubbish.

Glad to hear it is.

Falling Skies was another rubbish Spielberg project.

I have ranted about Falling Skies on other threads but am never one to miss a chance.

Pixel Fri 07-Oct-11 00:26:23

We gave up halfway through.

NadiaWadia Fri 07-Oct-11 02:33:46

I enjoyed it. OK it was a bit cliched but quite exciting.

And I love dinosaurs blush (No I am not 7 years old!)

NadiaWadia Fri 07-Oct-11 02:41:40

The only thing was, like in most TV sci-fi, it doesn't really get into the concepts, it's basically just an adventure story with a sci-fi setting.
I mean, if these people were sent back into time several million years, what would then happen with the evolution of the human race? Would there be the descendants of these time travellers and then later on other humans would evolve on schedule, who would be the ancestors of the time travellers? Or would the time travellers presence mean that homo sapiens would not get a chance to evolve? Therefore the time traveller people themselves would cease to exist? IYSWIM?

See, TV sci-fi writers just never think these things through. (except maybe on 'Fringe')

tabulahrasa Fri 07-Oct-11 08:35:41

It's an alternate time stream.

The guns are for the dinosaurs and the big beardy guy is in charge because he got there first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now