Talk

Advanced search

Are we going to bother with Boardwalk Empire?

(29 Posts)
kitya Sun 02-Oct-11 19:02:33

I think its starting soon.

Pagwatch Sun 02-Oct-11 19:04:05

I watched the first half a dozen episodes on sky but lost track. It was very good but I missed too much to catch up.
I might start again

paulapantsdown Sun 02-Oct-11 20:31:34

Going to bother?!?!?! I CANNOT WAIT for next Saturday. Agree that you do have to really concentrate on it, but its worth it.

Euphemia Sun 02-Oct-11 21:57:34

Tried it, boring. I think I've seen too many Mafia-related progs and films.

Northumberlandlass Mon 03-Oct-11 12:19:37

I am looking forward to it...remind me again what happened at the end of Series 1 ?? I have so many new series starting again, I have brain freeze.

OchAyeTheNooPal Mon 03-Oct-11 12:30:47

I can't wait till it starts either although a couple of episodes in series one were just crap I thought.

Can't remember what happened at the end of last series. Margaret Schroeder (sp?) and Nucky were back together and he won an election? My memories terrible!

paulapantsdown Mon 03-Oct-11 12:40:09

oh it was all going tits up for Nucky, the young fella (his protege, can't remember name), has agreed with the commador to take on Nucky and his empire to try and take over, along with Nuckys brother the Sherrif who is pushed out by Nucky and out for revenge! Its going to be all about revenge and gang war - love it! Hopefully as many boobs and as much mindless violence as last series too!

Northumberlandlass Mon 03-Oct-11 14:02:49

Oh yes, thanks Paula! Yes I hope for tits/ sex & mindless violence too smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 03-Oct-11 15:22:10

I don't get Sky Atlantic (and don't want to, fecking Murdochs), so I haven't seen it. Is it worth getting off the interwebs, would you say?

limitedperiodonly Mon 03-Oct-11 16:11:58

I like it and so does my sister. So there.

I like the plot, the humour and shocking violence, love the costumes and attention to detail.

Some people accuse it of being slow and Steve Buscemi as Nucky being an unlikely lead.

Northumberlandlass Mon 03-Oct-11 19:25:32

Limited, the best part for me is costume, set & music ! I love all of it smile

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Oct-11 11:50:02

Oh here we go again Lady Clarice!

I do have to declare an interest; a close family member has a connection with H.B.O.

if you like cleverly written, well acted,directed, sexy, violent stuff with good attention to detail then it's well worth 'bothering' with.

I have watched some eps on DVD but as don't like violence (there's enough in RL as far as I'm concerned) It's not to my taste. Somehow when it's "good" it makes it even harder for me to watch IYSWIM.

ppeatfruit Tue 04-Oct-11 11:54:45

Oh and Ladyclarice I TOTALLY agree about the MXXXXchs (the name itself should become a swearword IMO!!)

limitedperiodonly Tue 04-Oct-11 12:06:45

northumberlandlass The costumes and sets are fantastic, aren't they?

I was marvelling so much over the authenticity (well, it seemed like that to me) of a pretty but modest necklace Nucky gave Margaret that I missed quite an important bit of plot and had to rewind.

It seemed very accurate as a gift from a billionaire to his rather prim mistress for its time. Not bling enough for me, though. I'd be more like his trashy first mistress.

Northumberlandlass Tue 04-Oct-11 13:06:39

Limited, didn't the necklace he gave Margaret belong to his late wife?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 04-Oct-11 13:37:50

Hi again ppeatfruit! I'd love to watch it. I'll have to find it illegally online like Game of Thrones and The Borgias

<insurrectionist emoticon>

Pinot Tue 04-Oct-11 16:51:08

YY because I can then do my irritating wonderful impression of "Mrs Schroeder" and perfect my oirish accent.

limitedperiodonly Wed 05-Oct-11 22:47:17

nothumberlandlass possibly. I told you I was woolgathering. It was definitely a green semi-precious stone and her fellow mistress was saying something about it that meant it might have belonged to someone else. After that it all goes hazy.

Any other details, please fill me in.

Ladyclarice The Borgias was a bit rubbish. I was mostly fascinated by how low Jeremy Irons's voice could go. DH identified Cesare's evil manservant as the evil crackhead from Harry Brown which would have been worth a point if we were in a pub quiz rather than watching at home.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 06-Oct-11 10:15:05

limited, was it? I'm still deliberating over whether to bother searching it out. I do love quasi-historical tosh (Camelot, Pillars of the Earth, The Tudors etc all float my boat) so I might give it a try.

limitedperiodonly Thu 06-Oct-11 13:26:02

LadyClarice The Borgias is enjoyable rubbish, well worth watching. And it's history so it's educational.

Not as much sex as the Tudors and not as many pretty people having it. The upside is that it has more of a connection with things that actually happened. Jeremy Irons can act so his hamminess is deliberate rather than being the only thing Jonathan Rhys Meyers can do apart from a Joachim Phoenix in Gladiator impression.

I liked The Pillars of the Earth though anything by Ken Follett does drone on about all the historical research he's done. But I like anything with Rufus Sewell in it -apart from trousers.

Ditched Camelot after one episode. I am always distracted by Eva Green's strange accent and bonkers eyeshadow.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 06-Oct-11 14:28:21

Thanks! grin at 'apart from trousers'. He doesn't float my personal boat but I can appreciate that he's quite hot stuff.

LOVE Eva Green. For my money she was the best thing in Camelot. I loved and coveted her make-up and costumes. smile I have a bit of a girl-crush, 'I wanna be her' thing going for her actually.

littleacceb Sat 08-Oct-11 11:09:33

I am so excited about the new season! I can't believe how good an actor Steve Buscemi is. How he hasn't been given a lead role before is completely beyond me. Curse Hollywood and its obsession with beauty.

kitya Sat 08-Oct-11 23:24:44

How was it?

littleacceb Sun 09-Oct-11 08:28:51

We're rubbish at staying up, so saving it for another evening. blush Did anyone watch it yet?

Northumberlandlass Sun 09-Oct-11 10:06:08

Yep, Sky+ for us too. Will watch it sometime this week & report back smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now