Talk

Advanced search

Hugh Laurie selling his arse to the night!

(24 Posts)
schroeder Wed 21-Sep-11 19:34:31

I cannot believe I just saw Hugh Laurie flogging moisturiser!

eaglewings Wed 21-Sep-11 19:36:46

Also very surprised.

Not very house

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:38:25

Not quite as bad as rainforest-saving preachy ecologist Sting flogging Jaguar cars, but still ...

Am loving your thread title, btw grin.

said Wed 21-Sep-11 19:40:02

Jane Horrocks is the worst offender - Tesco and now Sky. She'll sell anything.

hocuspontas Wed 21-Sep-11 19:40:14

I heard Kylie advertising something yesterday and was shock. Are our A-listers really that hard-pressed for cash at the moment?

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:43:56

Makes me truly sick to the stomach that someone with enormous wealth needs to pimp themselves out for a little bit more.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:46:07

I don't agree about Jane Horrocks, actually.

Its not like she's made gazillions out of her day job, like Kylie and Hugh Laurie.

Hugh Laurie is the highest paid actor in American television, I believe.

Worst offender of course = David Beckham. Then Jamie Oliver.

hocuspontas Wed 21-Sep-11 19:48:51

But does it sell the product? I used to stay in Premier Inns occasionally but now I'm loathe to book incase Lenny Henry's there for the weekend.

said Wed 21-Sep-11 19:58:01

Jane Horrocks has made a fortune out of Tesco (which was pukey enough). I read an interview where she said it meant she never had to work again but if I do I'll whore myself to Sky rather do an actual job. <Enters her name into book of People I now Permanently Loathe> (Sure she's worried)

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 19:58:56

This is what I wonder hocus.

But then I read that if a popular soap actress wears an off the peg outfit that looks nice on her, that item sells out immediately.

I always just wonder who are these sadsters who can't dress themselves?, are they sheep?

But then I am 100% IMPERVIOUS to advertising.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 20:01:09

Yes, she's made a fortune out of Tesco, yes.

But the others had made a fortune anyway. So why the need for even more. I sincerely hope they are giving it away to charity.

said Wed 21-Sep-11 20:04:33

Oh, I agree. Hate them all. grin What I'd love, is a list of people who have turned down advertising. I want to know who they are.

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 20:09:53

I can think of loads. Anyone who is famous who is not in an advert, or does not endorse a product, basically.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 21-Sep-11 20:10:26

George clooney does loads of ads, Martini, coffee and now Norwegian banks.

AnyoneButLulu Wed 21-Sep-11 20:10:57

Hugh Laurier does baffle me, because he's done a load of British advertising since he started House, he used to do Huggies/Pampers and now he's flogging moisturiser. But he is notoriously the highest paid actor on television.

Either a) he has the world's most expensive coke habit
b) he has pathological psychological issues around financial security (aka he's just a greedy bastard) or
c) he is secretly funding his very own charitable hospital to deal with his well known guilt problem

I luuufffff him, so hope it's c).

AnyoneButLulu Wed 21-Sep-11 20:12:25

And Hugh Laurie too, not sure who Mr Laurier is, but my iPhone seems very keen on him.

SpeedyGonzalez Wed 21-Sep-11 20:15:01

People! You are so meeean! Give these stars a break; they must be really struggling in the recession. wink

said Wed 21-Sep-11 20:16:47

They but they might just not get asked. I want to know who actively refuses - and I can't think of many who haven't been in an ad (admittedly, I'm not spending a lot of time thinking about it)

bibbitybobbityhat Wed 21-Sep-11 20:20:21

Trust me, they all get asked. So anyone who you don't see has turned it down.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 21-Sep-11 20:20:38

Hugh Laurie has said several times that all the money he earned from the L'Oreal advert (which incidentally IS taking the piss) is going to charity.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 21-Sep-11 20:21:23

Behind the scenes?

AnyoneButLulu Wed 21-Sep-11 20:39:44

Nice to have it confirmed that the cash is going to charity, it was always the most plausible hypothesis. L'Oreal OTOH are trying to have their cake and eat it by doing an ironic version and then cutting it down to a non-ironic version which makes HL look like a twat. And they're part owned by Nestle.

SayCoolNowSayWhip Wed 21-Sep-11 20:41:46

He's apparently sending the money to Africa for schools. I imagine he couldn't give a fuck about what he looks like - tis all for the kids, innit grin

schroeder Wed 21-Sep-11 20:53:01

Oh well I stand corrected, it didn't seem to fit his personality (like I'd know hmm).

I only saw the ad briefly and was just OMG.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now