Talk

Advanced search

This is Jinsy, Sky One

(11 Posts)
limitedperiodonly Tue 20-Sep-11 14:44:23

Was it just me or was this shit?

All the online reviews I read say it's a work of near genius and if anything in it doesn't work that's not because it's shit, it's because it doesn't work in the traditional way - as in comedy traditionally being something that makes you laugh.

I don't think people would be as keen to say that if the opening episode didn't have David Tennant in it.

NadiaWadia Wed 21-Sep-11 01:05:26

Yes I just watched episode one because of the good reviews. Twas extremely strange and surreal - nothing wrong with surreal (I'm a fan of sci-fi and fantasy), but like you say it's billed as a comedy and I didn't laugh once.

Won't bother again.

limitedperiodonly Wed 21-Sep-11 11:28:23

I read that it was a bit like The League of Gentlemen, which I loved.

Yes, it's got grotesque characters in it and it's surreal...

I won't be watching again either.

takeonboard Wed 21-Sep-11 11:29:34

it was bonkers! glad it wasn't just me who didn't get it..................

limitedperiodonly Wed 21-Sep-11 13:10:29

I've become a bit obsessed in my search for a review that says it was rubbish but everyone says it's great.

The only thing I can think of is that TV reviewers don't want to upset the guest stars such as Tennant, Catherine Tate, Harry Hill etc in case they refuse to talk to them again.

NadiaWadia Wed 21-Sep-11 16:31:21

Yes or perhaps they don't want to look uncool by saying they don't get it. A bit 'Emperor's New Clothes'-y IYSWIM?

If it was supposed to be the new 'League of Gentleman' then it has definitely missed the mark.

picnicbasketcase Wed 21-Sep-11 16:35:06

I really liked it. I loved the pilot episode which was on BBC3 and have been looking forward to seeing the series on Sky Atlantic. I wouldn't worry about it - how many people didn't like or 'get' Monty Python at the time? There are loads of people who hated League of Gentlemen, Mighty Boosh etc. Each to their own, innit.

pinkhyena Wed 21-Sep-11 16:37:30

<whines> I didn't get iiiiit!!!

Though I was impressed with David Tennant walking in those heels.

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 21-Sep-11 17:08:18

it was just weird.
there's weird and funny like python and boosh and league of gentlemen. but this had nothing that made me laugh.
well i did like the idea of the dog judged talent show and the song but mostly because that descended into bum/ wee type jokes [immature emoticon] blush

doings Thu 22-Sep-11 18:35:36

I thought it was funny. I liked the idea of the marriage lottery and the singing obituaries. Prefer Harry Hill's woman to David Walliams any day.

I was a bit obsessed with one of the comedy duo's teeth - the one that had the face lift - very odd. I think they were his own!

Loved David Tennant but not keen on spotty, warty islanders - thought they were a bit cliched.

All in all, worth another look I thought. DH hated it and thought it tosh.

limitedperiodonly Fri 23-Sep-11 13:08:51

I don't get Monty Python even now and I hate The Mighty Boosh and Harry Hill. The IT Crowd is another show whose comedy evades me.

I hate Miranda, My Family and Michael McIntyre too so I'm not a total reactionary.

Doings I thought the same about the teeth too. I don't really want to think about whether they're real or not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now