Talk

Advanced search

The Sopranos is bloomin brilliant isn't it?

(20 Posts)
akaemmafrost Sun 11-Sep-11 21:11:28

New to it after all this time and watching 23 back to back episodes that I Sky plussed.

How have I missed it all this time? Love Christopher, he is so loyal to Tony. Great tv.

sneakybeak Sun 11-Sep-11 21:13:34

OMG - I am watching the series for the THIRD time. I have it on DVD boxset. Amazing.

acsec Sun 11-Sep-11 21:15:50

Love The Sopranos. DP and I are on season 4 of the boxset!

40notTrendy Sun 11-Sep-11 21:16:28

God yes!! Just started series 5, been borrowing the DVDs from a friend. Love it when Tony gets his evil eyes. Actress who plays Carmela superb too.

akaemmafrost Sun 11-Sep-11 21:17:29

Just watching the episode at the end of Season one where they try to assassinate Tony and he fights them both off. Obviously I knew he survived, there are five more seasons but it was so well done, the music etc I was on the edge of my seat. Sopranos my new obsession!

Byeckerslike Sun 11-Sep-11 21:18:09

Yes! Amazing, have watched all series beginning to end three times, i could watch it over and over!
Paulie is hilarious, i love the episode where him and christopher get stuck in the snowy forest all night and paulie looses his shoe!!

Byeckerslike Sun 11-Sep-11 21:18:28

*loses.... Obviously!

acsec Sun 11-Sep-11 21:51:01

Byekerslike DP and I watched that episode the other night and were laughing all the way through - brilliant!
Bacalar is my favourite - he's so sweet.

kitya Sun 11-Sep-11 22:52:16

Im watching on Sky Atlantic, just seen the rape episode. It was very moving. I hope she tells Tony.

What was the Pussy thing? I cried my eyes out.

Is it just me or, is Tony fanciable?smile

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 12-Sep-11 14:16:24

Oh, Christopher is brilliant. What a performance.

Tony is quite fanciable, yes.

Byeckerslike Mon 12-Sep-11 14:18:09

It's addictive i find, also The guy who plays Ralphie does a great job... I would love to slap his face repeatedly!

sneakybeak Mon 12-Sep-11 20:23:17

I really like Adriana's devotion to Christopher - despite how awful he is. It's so believable.

chipstick10 Mon 12-Sep-11 20:56:49

i hate christopher, hes horrible. The 1st time round i watched it i did find tony quite fanciable, but this time i really get the measure of just how horrible they all are, evil. The acting and scripts are suburb. I love the scenes between carmella and tony they are mesmerising together.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 13-Sep-11 10:13:34

Oh, the woman who plays Adriana is so good!

chipstick, I think part of the brilliance of the show is that yes, they're horrible and evil but also quite ordinary people at the same time. I've always found that, much as I condemn most of Tony's actions, I still find him very human and don't actually dislike him as such. Wonderful wonderful writing and acting. And yes, he and Carmela are just fantastic together. Edie Falco is a class act.

limitedperiodonly Tue 13-Sep-11 10:54:44

I agree with chipstick.

I loved the show but as it went on it reinforced what vile parasites all the characters are and how totally incompetent most of them would be in any other walk of life where they weren't protected by fear. I think it's funny that Tony is shackled to a bunch of lazy, greedy idiots.

His own family are an unlovely, overentitled bunch too.

The only one I liked was Sil because he's loyal, clever and competent - though ruthless.

But that's what I really liked about the show - I found it a much more realistic portrayal of gangsters rather than in The Godfather, where the Corleones are really nice people who just want to look after their family and friends.

It's a brilliant joke that Christopher and the rest of Tony's crew regularly compare themselves to the sentimental pap in The Godfather.

TheGoldRoad Tue 13-Sep-11 11:08:45

We are also working our way through the box set, currently on Season 4.

The episode in the forest was directed by Steve Buscemi IIRC. So funny, 'I'm fuckin' starving here and you got fuckin' TicTacs!'

Paulie is so funny. According to Wikipedia he was part of an organized crime family before he got into acting smile

TheGoldRoad Tue 13-Sep-11 11:18:45

Also, that episode 'Pine Barrens' was wrote by Christopher!

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 13-Sep-11 11:45:44

Brilliant episode.

limitedperiodonly Tue 13-Sep-11 13:16:31

I like the one where they're blundering around in the snow and Paulie loses his shoe too.

I also like:

The one with Janice at the little league match;

The one where Tony uses a trip with Meadow to check out a university as cover for a hit on a rival;

The ones where Christopher writes some awful script about a supernatural gangster and eventually hawks it round Hollywood convinced that Ben Kingsley would want to be in it;

And Johnny Sack's daughter's wedding.

Byeckerslike Tue 13-Sep-11 15:08:54

Johnny sacs daughters wedding! Excellent! I like the one where janice kills richie, and when she hides the russian womans leg, but it bugs me to death that she pronounces it 'laig'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now