Talk

Advanced search

am I missing something, I just don't get twilight?

(38 Posts)
griphook Wed 17-Aug-11 21:07:32

Is it me, it just long and boring, but everyone I knows loves it.

malovitt Wed 17-Aug-11 21:08:29

No, it's not just you.
I don't get it either.

redlac6 Wed 17-Aug-11 21:08:36

First film is the best. I love it

HeidiKat Wed 17-Aug-11 22:08:22

Not just you, I thought they took 4 books/films to tell a story with so little actual plot it would have struggled to fill one.

BleughCowWonders Wed 17-Aug-11 22:12:48

Dd seems to be loving every moment. But she is 10 so prob the target audience (tweens and teens)

Bunbaker Wed 17-Aug-11 22:53:03

I fell asleep when I watched it. The lack of plot and sheer dullness of it makes it one of the most boring films I have ever seen. However, at 52 I doubt that I am the target audience.

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 17-Aug-11 23:43:19

Oh it's a proper load of old bollocks but I just couldn't bring myself to stop watching.

mavornia Thu 18-Aug-11 00:28:42

you may all scoff now but watch it a second time and you'll be bemoaning your lack of a vampire lover and bitterly resenting your partners!

solidgoldbrass Thu 18-Aug-11 00:31:23

Well, it's lame, unoriginal, abstinence-peddling, woman-hating, eroticizing-domestic-violence bullshit so it's kind of OK not to get it.

FoundWanting Thu 18-Aug-11 00:37:38

I watched it tonight with DS1 and DD, haven't laughed so much in years. grin But that may have been down to their commentary.

My favourite bit was the scene in the forest, and DD shouting, "Tell him to get lost. He's a weirdo freak and he is stalking you. Tell your dad - he's a cop."

Or perhaps, during the fight in the dance studio, DS singing, "I'm a fire-starter..."

differentnameforthis Thu 18-Aug-11 10:12:34

It is misogynistic shite.

Girl meets boy
Boy leaves girl
girl doesn't feel whole
finds new love (#2)
boy comes back
girl leaves love #2
girls feels better again until boy goes away again.

Boy breaks into her house & watches her sleep
girl stays with boy who badly scars her face while he was a wolf

NO way will my girls be exposed to this nonsense!

differentnameforthis Thu 18-Aug-11 10:13:18

you may all scoff now but watch it a second time and you'll be bemoaning your lack of a vampire lover and bitterly resenting your partners

I don't think so!

KayHarker Thu 18-Aug-11 10:35:33

Watched it to see what all the fuss was about and found myself chortling merrily at the sight of a vampire doing a monkey impression climbing up trees at megaspeed. Enjoyable cobblers.

thesunshinesbrightly Thu 18-Aug-11 10:44:56

Robert Pattinson <swoon>

First is the best one.

onelily Thu 18-Aug-11 10:59:42

Its not a bad one time watch. Else i liked the first part of it only. Rest are jst okayish. ANd seriously don't understd the hoopla arnd it. strange!

sieglinde Thu 18-Aug-11 15:59:10

There are many hilarious parodies available; my dd found them all when her class got preoccupied with the thing and she loathed it. Here is a link to my favourite: Buffy Versus Edward. Twihards, look away now.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM

pink4ever Thu 18-Aug-11 16:53:44

I watched it last night and couldnt decide if it was old fashioned and romantic or a load of old twaddle. My dn are both obsessed by it. I will admit to reading final bookblush in the hope that they would finally get down to some hot,dirty vampire sex<spoiler they dont>
I really really dont get the robert pattinson thing-he just looks like a moody git all the time.
I do think its a bit hmm the whole ethos behind the books. It does seem that it is pushing the whole christian,no sex before marriage thing too strongly.

iklboo Thu 18-Aug-11 17:22:58

Nah, give me a lycan anytime over a pasty faced blood sucker.

drawingalinebehindme Thu 18-Aug-11 18:26:33

I read all the books and thought they were fab, the films however are a different story. I dont think they can act and its painful to watch. Cant see the attraction in Robert Pattinson either, he looks like a turd.

superjobee Thu 18-Aug-11 18:38:38

i enjoyed the first and have watched new moon and eclipse to keep up.

that bella cannot act to save herself she has one look. even at awards ceremonys she has that one look plastered on her face. rob pattinson tries but acting with that stupid woman must be torture.

he was good in remember me, but that was dire great ending tho i was shock at that he chooses really crap films.

taylor lautner OTOH grin he is good in everything <swoon>

Bunbaker Thu 18-Aug-11 20:24:13

"but watch it a second time"

No thanks. I found it hard enough to watch the first time around let alone giving it a second chance.

I also find Robert Pattinson deeply unattractive, but that may be because I am old enough to be his mother.

ILovePonyo Thu 18-Aug-11 20:36:44

Love that link sieg grin

I saw a bit of Twilight the other night, is it just me or was the baseball scene incredibly cringy and embarrasing when I think it was meant to be cool?

sieglinde Fri 19-Aug-11 09:19:01

IlovePonyo, yes indeed. To me RPattz and Lautner just look like they belong in gayland. Does pattz wear lippy and eyeshadow? Which is fine, let the boys get on with it, but makes it hard to get up any real lust. Is meyer aware that traditionally vampires are gay icons? Hetting up vampires is the curse of our age. The gay ones were cooler and far far more sexy. And het vampires also need to be DANGEROUS.

ILovePonyo Sat 20-Aug-11 08:17:38

Interesting - I didn't know vampires were gay icons! The best ones appear in Buffy anyway as far as I'm concerned (am on mat leave and catching up on Buffy during the day grin)

Pattz is definitely wearing make up anyway, I think its to make him look 'cold' etc but doesn't work.

CotesduRhone Sat 20-Aug-11 08:35:14

It's actually a Mormon allegory (there's stuff on the internet about it :waveshandvaguelyinthatdirectionsmile and it's also the most pernicious anti-feminist twaddle. My students hate it, I am so proud of them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now