Talk

Advanced search

The Hour - episode 5

(27 Posts)
clutterqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 22:07:02

probable SPOILER ALERT

Anyone just finished watching this? What the heck was that stuff with Lord Elms - is he himself a spy? What did he mean by "men like us"?

clutterqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 22:14:02

cmon - anyone?!

PlumSykes Tue 16-Aug-11 22:15:03

I think he just meant 'men in the Government'

Freddie said to him "Who do you mean by 'they'?" So, the Brits or teh Soviets, I suppose, and Lord Elms was confirming he meant the Brits. I think.

clutterqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 22:16:11

hmm. so how did he end up being responsible for Ruth's death do you think?

PlumSykes Tue 16-Aug-11 22:17:27

Hmm. Will ponder and get back to you.

clutterqueen Tue 16-Aug-11 22:24:08

if you could please! grin

Good tho innit? I even fancy the posh one now.

MurielTheActor Thu 18-Aug-11 22:55:17

I don't think he just meant Brits, or 'men in government' more the men who make up the government/ the upper class/ privileged/ top drawer/ top public school/ Oxbridge educated - those that make all the decisions. And it was his realisation that being one of them meant that his daughter would be caught up in their actions and so he is responsible for her death by association.
I think....

teejwood Fri 19-Aug-11 13:22:37

agree with Muriel - accepting the deaths of other innocent people for the sake of national security was fine as long as it wasn't his own daughter. now he is having to face the consequences of not standing up and querying whether the actions of his peers were morally correct.
he did not want her to die - he thought if he could marry her off and cover up the baby's paternity she would be safe. so who killed her? i did wonder if it was Kish, but perhaps he really was just watching from the pavement while the real perpetrator was inside.

PlumSykes Fri 19-Aug-11 13:32:49

Have just realised we go away on Tuesday. Will Sky+ it, but will have to wait another WHOLE week to watch it. Dammit!

MrsCampbellBlack Fri 19-Aug-11 13:33:53

Its just so good isn't it!

pamplemousserose Wed 24-Aug-11 07:48:01

So disappointed with the end of this... fed up of watching 6 weeks of a program for it to have a shit ending

ppeatfruit Wed 24-Aug-11 11:06:01

pamplemousserose i've been disappointed right through this, so the ending wasn't a surprise only more of the same IFYSWIM.

i did think that the actual Hour was finally done well with Hector loosing it and the young man showing his true strengths; the matching winning and loosing of Bel was sexist but inevitable, I don't remember seeing Bell sticking her neck out for him though does anyone?

Did anyone guess that Clarence was the mole?

On the whole IMO it could have been done a lot better.

higgle Wed 24-Aug-11 13:13:24

I knew clarence was the villain, his pantomime grimace when he was muttering about there being a mole at the BBC rather gave it away.

ColdSancerre Wed 24-Aug-11 13:17:12

I was also disappointed. I rarely make the effort to watch series, now I remember why.

pamplemousserose Wed 24-Aug-11 13:27:33

It would have been better if Clarence had killed Freddie, or if Belle and Freddie had got together. I wonder if there will be a second series.

The ending left me feeling really flat. It was neat and tidy I suppose but dull.

ppeatfruit Wed 24-Aug-11 15:52:57

I did get the feeling that Bell and Freddie were going to get it together, but the whole series seemed to be about stopping the audience actually enjoying it; as if it was old fashioned to actually spell anything out so we could understand it!! You could hear the meetings of the producers and writers etc. ' yeah y'know let's not let anyone know anything make it cool man' etc.

A shame; a waste of time and a waste of a little talent.

javo Thu 25-Aug-11 18:51:11

I enjoyed the HOur, but still don't understand why Mr Kish felt obliged to kill himself - since everyone seemed to running around with some knowledge of the spy/MI6 plot.

have read that it is being commissioned for a second series

Pawsnclaws Thu 25-Aug-11 21:26:32

Bugger missed the last one - had to go with ds3 to hospital that evening. Anyone kind enough to summarise in a sentence or so?!

Paws its on the BBC iPlayer

Pawsnclaws Thu 25-Aug-11 23:01:47

Thanks!

Jix Thu 25-Aug-11 23:10:15

So Ruth was a Soviet spy... M16 had suspicions about her and murdered her because she knew about the plot to assassinate Nasser.. is that right?

And Javo.. I totally agree with you.. I still don't get it why Mr Kish killed himself. Anyone else got any ideas?

I'm left a bit confused and a feeling the story just didn't hang together.

Thought Ben Whatshisname was great as Freddie though.

javo Fri 26-Aug-11 10:03:22

Jix - that was my understanding about Ruth. However, it seemed a bit extreme to murder her since Lix was able to find out about the assassination plot with just one call "to her man in Cairo" - no a great secret.

Just felt at the end it didn't quite hang together - still I enjoyed it - so little to watch atm

pinkteddy Fri 26-Aug-11 16:01:48

Agree with other posters, I enjoyed the series and there was some great acting, in particular by Ben Whishaw, Anna Chancellor and Tim Piggott Smith but the ending was very disappointing. It was obvious that Clarence was the mole from weeks ago and the reason why Mr Kishaw killed himself wasn't answered at all IMO.

Jix Fri 26-Aug-11 17:22:38

And more than a plot that doesn't hold together, it's not even that accurate. They made such a big play of getting the historic details right (comparing it to Mad Men etc) but actually at the time of the Suez Crisis there was a very controversial news programme that was on air, that apparently had very lively debates, including a contribution from a young Michael Foot.

Mind you, I have gleaned that bit of trivia from Wikipedia (look up the Suez crisis) so can't guarantee it's accurate.

Nevertheless, it seems pretty poor to be showing the BBC hamstrung to such an extent by the govt, when that simply wasn't the case.

Hmph.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now