Talk

Advanced search

Shall I give up Eastenders?

(24 Posts)
MummyDoIt Tue 16-Aug-11 10:13:36

I've watched it from the very first episode. It's the only soap I watch and I used to really enjoy it. It was great when it was on a couple of times a week with some decent characters and good plots.

The other day, though, I realised that I don't actually like any of the characters. The baby swap plotline plumbed new depths and most of the other plotlines aren't much better. Plus it's on so often now. Two hours a week! I'm always several episodes behind as I just can't keep up.

Shall I persevere in the hope that it picks up at some point or shall I give it up and spend two hours a week doing something more productive? MN Jury - you decide!

RedBlanket Tue 16-Aug-11 14:03:07

I think I'm 2 weeks behind and I was thinking the same thing. There's noone in it I like anymore.
I hate all the new Moons especially michael
The masood/yusef story is done to death
Tanya and max is ridiculous

Not sure why I still watch it really.

cjbartlett Tue 16-Aug-11 14:04:51

It was good last night, just for Zoe Lucker's Shri my wailing melt down

Fimbo Tue 16-Aug-11 14:08:01

Its the only one I watch. I watch it at 10 on BBC3. Dh thinks I am mad, he hates all soap opera type things.

Why does Vanessa only ever wear white? And that hair, by god how many cans of Elnett hold that up?

VelvetSnow Tue 16-Aug-11 14:11:14

But did anyone see Vanessas sweaty underarm last night in the Queen Vic - was odd to see that on Easties tbh.

Rather refreshing though (as refreshing as a sweaty pit can get grin)

ChrisPBacon Tue 16-Aug-11 14:18:23

give it up
it's dull /repetitive
EE is boring and was over some time ago

You will enjoy not being tied to it.

(ex soap watcher - Corrie as well)

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 16-Aug-11 14:20:35

I gave up about 4 months ago and to be honest it feels great.

I have no interest in the lives of the characters any more ( I know that makes me sound like a sad muppet) I just stopped caring.

MummyDoIt Tue 16-Aug-11 15:43:10

There have been a couple of things recently that just really annoyed me. Big Mo illegally subletting her council house and Wotsisface Moon (David Essex)taking over premises for his business by squatting/conning someone out of them. It doesn't exactly glorify crime but just presents it as normal.

Plus there isn't a single 'nice' person in. Well, maybe Dot Cotton, but she's the only one. I like a good villain in a drama but Janine? Phil Mitchell? They're just thoroughly unpleasant and not very interesting about it.

My finger is poised to delete the episodes on my Sky + planner and liberate myself.......

ChizChizChiz Tue 16-Aug-11 16:03:36

I gave up EE years ago and have never looked back. It's an appalling programme, really. Scripts and plotting are just way OTT and there's not one sympathetic, appealing, interesting character among the whole lot of 'em.

Honestly, you'll feel so much better for it. In fact, I'd equate the feeling of smugness and wellbeing with that of giving up smoking grin

(If you really must watch a soap, make it Corrie. At least there's some humour and warmth in the scripts now and again.)

MercyMe Tue 16-Aug-11 16:20:00

I gave up on it a few months after realising that I did not like any characters as all most of them seem to do is shout and bawl at each other on the street, pub. And as for the baby swapping, that was appalling.

I say delete! You probably would be really bored if watched all the episodes anyway!

LordOfTheFlies Tue 16-Aug-11 21:36:40

I stopped watching months ago (before Ronnies trial).
Don't miss it.

Also stopped watching Corrie after the John Snape loses the plot storyline. Watched one episode last week. A bir meh.

Still going strong with Corrie

NoseyNooNoo Wed 17-Aug-11 09:20:57

The baby plot was the prompt for me - it is all just so miserable and unlikeable. I did happen to turn it on on Monday so got the denouement of what was probably a long-drawn-out sage.

Not for me anymore. It does feel liberating.

ShoutyBag Wed 17-Aug-11 13:30:17

Vanessa looked much better without her hair done, when she was sitting around with it wet. I hate Michael Moon too, and agree that the storylines are really naff. All been done before. I think they need to have a re-think, or it's going to go the same way as Brookie.

SESthebrave Wed 17-Aug-11 14:40:38

I stopped watching on NYE with the baby swap. I've not missed it and don't really care what's happened.
DELETE YOUR SKY+!!!!!
Seriously, you'll have an extra 2hrs to do more valuable stuff each week!

griphook Wed 17-Aug-11 21:04:58

the new moons have really ruined ee, particulary with all the really poor acting

sanssucre Wed 17-Aug-11 21:10:17

I gave it up around the baby swap time and also feel completely liberated. I thought the girl who played Stacey (Lacey Turner?) was ace but she alone wasn't enough to keep me interested (and anyway I think she left around that time too). Let it go... think what valuable mumsnetting things you could be doing in those two hours a week

littleshinyone Wed 17-Aug-11 21:14:55

I can honestly say my life became a better place when i stopped watching eastenders.

snice Wed 17-Aug-11 21:21:02

i gave up watching Corrie/Eastenders about 5 years ago. It was liberating! There were so many hours of it on TV, I was always trying to catch up on the omnibus and I didn't want my children to watch as I think its v unsuitable.

Go for it and get back hours a week

Phoenix Wed 17-Aug-11 21:21:15

Do it.

I used to watch all the soaps and a few month ago I just gave up watching them all, much to dh's delight grin

I don't miss them at all but my only issue is there's nothing else to watch grin

chocolatchaud Wed 17-Aug-11 21:24:59

I gave it up just before the baby swap storyline began (for that reason).

I have not missed it AT ALL - there are loads of other things on TV, and there's always mumsnet. I just flick past it now - have absolutely no interest in it.

Give it up and find an extra 2 hours in your week! (and a lot less misery in your life!)

MummyDoIt Thu 18-Aug-11 18:21:39

Decision made, then. Seven episodes deleted from my Sky planner and I've removed it from series link. The final push was realising that I have several DVDs, including a couple of box sets, still in their cellophane because I haven't had time to watch it. I'm going to spend those two hours a week catching up on those (or just MNetting!!).

TragicallyHip Thu 18-Aug-11 18:35:42

I have been deliberating over this too. I had 15 episodes to get through, I hadn't missed watching it but couldn't delete it so I had to watch them all. I am addicted..

naughtaless Fri 19-Aug-11 10:38:05

I would rather eat my own eyeballs than watch Eastenders, and I was Addicted for years, It was when I realised I felt depressed just watching it, that I deleted my Sky+ well that and the baby swap storyline.
I still Sky+ Corrie, and fast forward over the storylines I am not interested in, ie. Snape/Fizz - The screaming Banshy that is Becky. I am an inch away with not bothering with Corrie either

Islagiatt Fri 19-Aug-11 10:43:28

I stopped watching years ago. Everybody is just so miserable and nasty to each other and like Naughtaless - realised it made me depressed watching it.

<Admits: I now only watch Neighbours, not realistic at all, but at least the people are nice to each other>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now