Talk

Advanced search

TV for young kids

(3 Posts)
jillinthailand Fri 29-Jul-11 04:44:38

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but:

Can anyone recommend any good TV shows for young kids? My dd is 8mo and we live in Bangkok so have no access to UK TV. I'm looking for a few good, entertaining (and maybe a bit educational!) shows to download that would be suitable for an 8mo.

And yes I realise that plonking an 8mo baby down in front of the telly is not necessarily good parenting but surely everyone does it at some point... don't they?

idlevice Fri 29-Jul-11 06:31:59

The American Academy of Pediatrics & the Australianb Government do not recommend TV viewing for under-2s, but of course a lot of people can't adhere to this esp if there are older siblings in the house. When my DS was 6mths DP went away with work so he made some videos of himself for DS to watch, about 10mins each day. After that we had videos of ourselves, things we did, everyday stuff & relatives for DS to watch as I felt it was better than anything on TV which seemed really garish, full on, too bright & noisy. About 18mths we started on a few programmes like Teletubbies, Night Garden, etc & of course he was enthralled. You can download Baby Einstein & other educational stuff but mostly it is personal choice as to what the parent thinks is suitable.

Moomachine Fri 29-Jul-11 06:38:27

We bought the Bee Bright DVDs with Justin Fletcher, which my DS loves. They have DVDs for different ages, starting at 6 months+. They are educational and quite short (about 15 mins each episode). I know you can download excerpts from You Tube, but don't think you'll get a whole episode.

HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now