Talk

Advanced search

Did Hollyoaks get awful or did I grow up?

(25 Posts)
nevergoogle Thu 28-Jul-11 09:59:15

Pondering.
I used to love Hollyoaks, but now can't stand it.
Discuss.
grin

nomorecake Thu 28-Jul-11 10:38:12

i'm not sure.
when it started i don't think it was that bad.

but stopped watching (having it on in the background really) about a year ago.
it started turning me into a cross between my parents and mary whitehouse.

i think its on far too early in the day.

nevergoogle Thu 28-Jul-11 11:33:53

yy, i'm also channelling mary whitehouse.

EricNorthmansMistressOfPotions Thu 28-Jul-11 15:30:54

It was always awful but we also grew up. I can't watch neighbours or stenders anymore either.

stardustn Thu 28-Jul-11 15:37:11

I also used to like it but gave up on it about a year ago. IMO it went rapidly downhill after Chris Fountain left blush

nevergoogle Thu 28-Jul-11 17:33:45

i don't remember when i stopped watching it. just like i don't remember when i started watching question time.
next thing it'll be bloody midsomer murders.

ppeatfruit Fri 29-Jul-11 09:45:48

Hi nevergoogle (waves) . Oh dear Hollyoaks! sad Iam well past the age when it MIGHT have interested me but my eldest DD works on it for channel 4 so I've TRIED to watch it!!! Oh dear apologies for repeating myself grin

Even she understands why i can't get past the terrible acting (the fire didn't kill them all off!!) There's one who doesn't look like a yob or a tart and can act but she is sadly underused and doesn't make up for the dreadful script and storylines.

ppeatfruit Fri 29-Jul-11 10:06:47

Mind you I'm thinking about Emmerdale (which my mum loves!!!) that has all the drawbacks of H.O. I can't watch it either like stenders and corrie(which I used to enjoy) IMO it's the ridiculous sensationalising all the producers\ writers for t.v. go for nowadays.

What should tell the producers something is the success of Downton Abbey; a lot of the public actually LIKE something properly character led, well acted, and slower!!Sorry for the rant I know i'm on the wrong thread to set the world to rights!!

nevergoogle Fri 29-Jul-11 13:40:46

I didn't watch downton abbey. although now i have visions of a period costume hollyoaks.

ppeatfruit Sat 30-Jul-11 10:23:47

That vision sounds like a nightmare!! Downton is coming back never It was def. worth watching and hopefully will be again. Don't be put off by the fact it's set around the 1st W.W.

mumatron Sat 30-Jul-11 10:26:28

I gave up when warren died for the first time. and around the time the lovely Calvin turned into an arsehole.

it's just too hard to watch these days.

FriskyMare Sat 30-Jul-11 10:29:30

I only watch for the gorgeous Darren <lustful emoticon>

soymama Sat 30-Jul-11 10:39:21

I agree! Bring back Kurt and Jambo!!!!

happymole Sat 30-Jul-11 10:44:34

Last time I watched it Kurt, Jambo and Ruth were in it, ohh and evil Lewis (?)

<old gimmer>

nevergoogle Sun 31-Jul-11 10:23:01

i think it's the same for me happymole. I remember Ruth's wedding mostly.
I also was into the teen pregnancy story. I notice that character is back but totally different?!

ppeatfruit Sun 31-Jul-11 11:35:25

i remember starting to go off soaps when they changed the characters' personalities to suit a ridiculous plot line.Now they do it all the time or bring in an 'evil' character; more like panto IMO.

oiwheresthecoffee Sun 31-Jul-11 11:38:38

Yeah i gave up around when Warren killed Louise.

happymole Sun 31-Jul-11 16:30:25

That's right nevergoogle I think she was called Cindy? She ended up running away to avoid Social Services taking the baby IIRC

nevergoogle Sun 31-Jul-11 18:16:37

ppeatfruit, they do change personalities depending on the plot. i only watch eastenders and have noticed they do it all the time. they go around telling each other off for stuff when as far as I'm concerned they should all be hanging their heads in shame for their own misdemeanours. grin

diddl Sun 31-Jul-11 18:19:59

I always thought that Hollyoaks was for teenagers!

nevergoogle Sun 31-Jul-11 18:30:48

well it is diddl. only i don't remember waking up on my 20th birthday and thinking, oh god, switch that shit off. which is where i'm at now.

diddl Sun 31-Jul-11 18:47:46

Well, by teenagers I was thinking 14-17ish.

TartyDoris Tue 02-Aug-11 23:42:09

It's always been shit. It sucks that shows like Hollyoaks have killed childrens programming for secondary school aged kids, like Grange Hill etc. Hollyoaks is utter bollocks but kids watch it and think thats what real life is like.

allmyfriendsaremarried Tue 02-Aug-11 23:48:35

I enjoyed it until recently and I'm 28 but now its all a bit too fake! It was easy watching but now I'd much rather Come Dine With Me!

ppeatfruit Wed 03-Aug-11 09:30:26

Yes yes Tarty You are SOOOO right, but I hope the kids don't think it's what real life is like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now