Talk

Advanced search

the hour

(110 Posts)
HoneyDuke Tue 19-Jul-11 21:34:23

Not as good as mad men is it?

WipsGlitter Tue 19-Jul-11 21:55:13

Not seen mad men, but this really isn't grabbing me yet.

zanz1bar Tue 19-Jul-11 22:04:22

Shaping up nicely, like the murder mystery, miss marple meets mad men.
Now I have a craving for a brandy in a cut glass tumbler, maraschino cherry optional.

katkitya Tue 19-Jul-11 22:28:48

Nothing can be as good as Mad Men!

HoneyDuke Tue 19-Jul-11 22:42:13

I didn't think the sets and costumes had the same attention to detail as mad men either.

KurriKurri Tue 19-Jul-11 23:43:18

I haven't seen Mad Men, but I quite liked it, I think its going to be good.

hattymattie Wed 20-Jul-11 08:13:10

I think the media shouldn't have compared it to Mad Men. It's just a sixties setting that's all. I enjoyed it for what it is but found it entirely different (except for the sexism). I love Mad Men by the way.

HoneyDuke Wed 20-Jul-11 10:48:22

I think its basically trying to be a British mad men and failing miserably

katkitya Wed 20-Jul-11 12:42:52

It sold itself as the new Mad Men though, it wasn't all the presses fault. I was looking forward to watching it I will save it for tomorrow night.

CeliaFate Thu 21-Jul-11 19:11:45

I enjoyed it, but in no way thought of Mad Men. I agree, the attention to period detail just wasn't there. It could have been any era; the clothes, hair, make-up, cultural references weren't strong enough IMO.

HoneyDuke Thu 21-Jul-11 19:18:30

The period detail in mad men and the crimson petals and the white was spot on, that's why the hour was so disappointing.

SenoritaViva Tue 26-Jul-11 18:15:14

I heard the producer and writer being interviewed, they were not happy about it being compared to Mad Men and said it was different.

I really enjoyed it to be honest and didn't think it was like Mad Men.

pawsnclaws Tue 26-Jul-11 22:00:31

I'd really like to enjoy this, but it's so slow ....

HoneyDuke Tue 26-Jul-11 22:21:36

It was a bit better this week. The lack of attention to period detail still grated though.

CeliaFate Wed 27-Jul-11 07:31:58

I started watching but fell asleep! blush. Will catch up on sky planner later.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 27-Jul-11 10:06:32

I'm not liking this at all and am really disappointed. The period detail doesn't ring true for me, and the script is poor. I like Romola Garai generally but am not enjoying her here, and Ben Whishaw (or the writers) can't seem to reconcile the different aspects of his character. Is he a chippy, class-resentful, petulant manchild, or a maverick, infuriating but brilliant young journalist? I'm not saying he can't be both, but at the moment he's not convincing me as either. And I'm tired of being told how 'charming' Dominic West's character is but never actually being shown him being charming. For a real-life public-school posh boy, he seems to be having trouble portraying one convincingly. I'd like to see more of the internal stresses and politics of setting up and running a ground-breaking news programme, and to be shown more clearly exactly why it's so ground-breaking. It all comes back to the script I think; we're forever being told things but never actually shown them. It's not coming to life at all. Very poor.

ppeatfruit Wed 27-Jul-11 11:29:13

yes LadyClarice I agree; i didn't like the trailers much so watched last night's thinking it may have settled down but as you say there was no continuity. Romola's character looked and behaved as if she was from the 70s not 5Os sitting on the desk for a meeting indeed!! (her make up was esp. bad as was her hair which would have been sprayed to within an inch of it's life).

Also (this is a personal grudge) why do T.V. writers or directors think that going home and having a large whiskey is the thing that every stressed out businesswoman does? It happened with Maxine Peake's lawyer character (I've forgotten the name of the series.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 27-Jul-11 11:39:31

Yes, the stiff-drink thing is such a cliche isn't it? I'm not sure it's just women though; it seems to be what every stressed working person on telly does. To the point where I sometimes feel as if I'm letting the side down because I've never come home from work needing a whisky smile.

HoneyDuke Wed 27-Jul-11 11:43:13

Even the smoking is unconvincing. Don Draper knows how to smoke.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Wed 27-Jul-11 11:53:19

Yes, you're right. In fact everyone in Mad Men is a good smoker. I don't smoke and don't have any desire to normally, but the sheer stylishness of the puffing in MM used to make me feel like lighting up!

notimetotidy Wed 27-Jul-11 18:58:32

I missed this week's episode - is it repeated anywhere (apart from iplayer)?

HoneyDuke Wed 27-Jul-11 19:08:12

You can get it on player on da net

ppeatfruit Thu 28-Jul-11 10:03:21

notime you haven't missed much sadly.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 28-Jul-11 10:37:15

ppeatfruit speaks the truth!

Ephiny Thu 28-Jul-11 18:17:03

Speaking of 'period detail' - I don't notice sets and costumes so much, but I did think there was a lot of very 'modern' sounding dialogue. Annoyingly I can think of examples right now, but there were some phrases used when I thought 'people didn't say that 10 years ago, never mind in the 50s!'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now