Talk

Advanced search

Camelot - thoughts?

(16 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Sun 17-Jul-11 21:21:27

It was a bit raunchy last night, wasn't it?

smile

What I mean, (she says hastily) is why the gratuitous nakedness? It's a bit much for 9pm - I was very glad that I wasn't watching it with kids/'tweens. Surely they can expect stuff about King Arthur to be watched by, say, 12 yo, squirming with embarrassment on the sofa?

Made me laugh when one of the blokes said something like "A feast, a fuck and a fight. That's what I call a good night!" Not much has changed, has it? Add "... and Football on the telly" and you've brought it up to date.

As for Arthur, don't know about you but he doesn't do it for me. He reminds me of a sheepskin rug and is about as regal. (Prefer Laertes - nice.) Surely Arthur of the Britons would be dark? At least they got Guinevere right in that she was blonde, supposedly (guin = white) although this one is a bit.... drippy.
But Bond girl Eva for me is the star of the show. She'd make a better king than Arthur!

One other quibble - IIRC the fairy Vivienne was Merlin's girlfriend in the stories & here she's Morgan's servant, which is a bit odd. Can anyone shed any light?

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 18-Jul-11 10:32:16

Can't shed any light about Vivienne I'm afraid. But I don't think she is the only 'fact' they've played fast and loose with!

Arthur is the weakest link IMO. I know he is meant to be young and a bit naive, but he's just so contemporary-looking; it really jars. And for the boy-king thing to work, I think Merlin needs to be more ever-present and powerful as the power behind the throne; this Merlin did start off as a spin doctor but now seems to have faded into the background a bit.

LOVE Eva Green. The best actor in it by a long long way, and how much do I covet her eye make-up?!?

Totty-wise, for me it's the bloke who plays Gawain. Phwwooooaaaarrrrgh!

MirandaGoshawk Mon 18-Jul-11 22:20:47

Agree about Arthur. And I want Merlin to do a bit more magic. He's more of a Mandelson character than anything else!

sfxmum Mon 18-Jul-11 22:24:47

Apart from being full of pretty people, very pretty people in fact, I honestly find it is cringe worthy, full of over acting and whispered dialogue, can't really see it getting a 2nd series unless it improves or gets a lot more nakedness I guess

HoneyDuke Mon 18-Jul-11 22:27:21

It's wank. Thought the tight lycra lace knicks the dancers were wearing were particularly authentic.

GothAnneGeddes Mon 18-Jul-11 23:43:22

Eva Green is hypnotic in it. I'm not sure what Claire Forliani has done to her face, it looks oddly plastic. Arthur is very unconvincing, agreed. And I like the BBC Merlin better.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 19-Jul-11 10:20:10

Oh, I'm loving it. It's guilty-pleasure territory and there's not much I like better than a guilty pleasure, largely because I don't really actually do guilt. grin I'd happily watch another series, although I don't know how much of the story will be left at the end of this series.

I'm finding Eva Green's pet nun very creepy. Anyone else?

sockpoppet Sun 31-Jul-11 23:40:34

So what do we think is going go happen next episode?

polyhymnia Tue 02-Aug-11 15:02:35

So awful, cringe-making and without characters you can be interested /believe in we have abandoned it. And I enjoyed The Tudors and Game of Thrones so am generally quite susceptible to guilty pleasures of a 'historical' or 'medieval' type. Even watched all of Rome (though not Spartacus!!).

Eva Green is its only redeeming feature.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Tue 02-Aug-11 15:06:13

I missed Spartacus. Must try to find it on the web. I love historical rubbish. grin

MummyAbroad Sun 07-Aug-11 03:00:44

Its a poor mans Game of Thrones. I've seen the whole series, its shoddy all the way through, but the plot does pick up a bit.

wildfig Sun 07-Aug-11 20:31:26

I hung on in there until Ye Olde Shaggyng Rota got round to Merlin. I will suffer any amount of sub-Mamma Mia acting for the sake of Joseph Fiennes in a historically suspect four-poster, albeit with unconvincing Biro scribbles on his hands and a terrible hairdo.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Mon 08-Aug-11 11:26:45

Ah, Joseph Fiennes. Was it on MN, or somewhere else, that someone said he had two facial expressions; 'You've got garlic breath' and 'I've just farted in one of your cupboards'? grin grin

I'm going to hang on to the bitter end. Only the last one to watch now! It's been fun.

justinhawkinsnavalfluff Thu 11-Aug-11 19:52:15

Any ideas if there's going to be another series?

sockpoppet Thu 11-Aug-11 20:10:21

Apparently not because the actor playing Arthur was so crap

justinhawkinsnavalfluff Thu 11-Aug-11 22:03:28

He really was!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now