Talk

Advanced search

I have a serious addiction... to The Wire

(55 Posts)
fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 09:34:33

OMG this show is brilliant - a friend of my DH lent us the box set a couple of weeks ago, just finished watching Series 1 - it is so good, DH and I were exhausted as we were still watching it at 1am nearly every night.

Watched Episode 1 of Series 2 last night, first half seemed to be getting to know the characters but BAM by the end of it, I can't wait to get the kids to bed tonight, glass of wine and drool at McNulty and Stringer.... grin

Anyone else watch it or watched it? (no spoilers please!).

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 10:11:34

No-one else watches it...?! Can't believe that or am I behind the times grin

limitedperiodonly Fri 15-Jul-11 11:57:50

Be careful of what you wish for. There'll be a stampede of Wire fanatics along any minute now grin

Good, isn't it?

lucykate Fri 15-Jul-11 11:59:52

dh got me into it, was fab. we will be watching the box set again no doubt.

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 12:45:39

Oh brilliant - people to talk to about my new obsession.. wink

The acting is impeccable, I am yet to see anyone in it whose character I don't believe. The way they show every side to the case is fascinating and really gives you an idea to how corrupt the Police etc can be.

However Stringer I now have a huge crush on (yes I know he's the bad guy but he is sexy as fuck...!) and been informed he is on Luther! <takes a cold shower>

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 12:47:03

Never have I been so into a TV show. It's like I am 8 again and waiting for Knight Rider to come on... grin

limitedperiodonly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:24:22

My favourite bit of season 2 is Omar in court. (Not a spoiler, I promise)

I'd love a pet Omar of my own. We'd eat honey nut cereals together and I'd set him on anyone who'd ever upset me.

MindyMacready Fri 15-Jul-11 13:25:39

Can't reveal too much, but "The Wire" is still about my favourite recent TV show!

limitedperiodonly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:27:51

I forgot to say. Don't go on Youtube to search for clips. It's full of spoilers.

DamselInDisarray Fri 15-Jul-11 13:28:22

They're showing the Wire on Wednesday nights on FX. They've just aired the second episode of season 2. DH and I are watching it.

thestringcheeseincident Fri 15-Jul-11 13:29:01

Oh god yes, it's fab.
I'm so disappointed with tv at the min i'm rewatching The Sopranos on Sky Atlantic. It's glorious all over again.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 15-Jul-11 13:32:27

Don't go on wikipedia either searching for stuff about the actors as the series is fond of killing people off unexpectedly.

Dh and I just have series 5 to go - we have watched the rest in the last couple of months and we both think it is the best tv show we have ever seen.

It's so damn clever it spoils most other shows. And the best thing about it for me is that every character is flawed in some way, there are no goodies or baddies - it is just like real life in that sense.

TobyLerone Fri 15-Jul-11 13:34:57

We tried to watch it a couple of weeks ago after hearing nothing but good things, but were underwhelmed.

It's so full of jargon and slang that it was extremely hard to understand exactly what was going on. It felt like we needed subtitles! And there was such a huge amount of swearing that it seemed a little 'forced' (and this from me, with a mouth like a sailor's).

I realise I sound like an old gimmer (I'm 33 and DP is 25), but neither of us were as impressed as we wanted to be.

Does it get better? Do you get used to all the jargon so that it becomes clearer? Is it worth persevering with? Or am I just past it?

limitedperiodonly Fri 15-Jul-11 13:44:16

You need subtitles toby

It's very dense so is a real effort to watch at first. Then it all just fits.

It's also hilarious in parts. Have just Youtubed bits. Must do some work...

TobyLerone Fri 15-Jul-11 13:45:33

Oh, thank goodness it wasn't just us! grin

We were like "are we supposed to understand WTF is going on??"

LaurieFairyCake Fri 15-Jul-11 13:50:56

No, no, no to the subtitles - you will get your ear 'tuned' in - it took me 4 episodes to start to understand every word.

If you read the subtitles you won't get as attached to or empathise with the characters.

I accidentally switched the subtitles on for one episode and it really took me away from the action (as sometimes it happens very fast)

LaurieFairyCake Fri 15-Jul-11 13:52:04

I'm nearly 40 and it took me 4 episodes to love it and I knew that I would eventually and that's why I persevered.

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 13:54:42

I'm a scouser so somehow I can understand the lingo grin. Like the Barksdale crew call the Police "the Five O" which is what I've heard some scousers say too... I agree the first 3 episodes quite draining to watch but I'd been told to persevere and I'm so glad I did. Around episode 6 of series 1 it gets brilliant.

Omar the best as is Bubble. At first I was expecting to not like them but you just can't help love their craziness.

Chandon Fri 15-Jul-11 13:58:01

Those of you who like it, what other series do you like? just so I get an idea if it's for me.

I liked Sopranos, 24 and Prison Break, but NOT CSI.

would it be for me?

LaurieFairyCake Fri 15-Jul-11 14:02:23

Yes, it sounds like it's for you Chandon. I like clever, character driven shows and not reality tv.

The wire is probably the slowest show ever - it's on no way like Law and order where the perps are found at the end - it can take months to catch someone and some of the cop work is in almost real time. And so many opportunities are missed just like in real life - people in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It's just incredibly 'real' in some ways.

TobyLerone Fri 15-Jul-11 14:02:33

Thanks, all. Will persevere then smile

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 14:16:51

Laurie you've put it in a nutshell - it being so believable is what makes you truly love it - it feels like you're a fly on the wall.

lucykate Fri 15-Jul-11 14:52:30

i can't quite remember which episode it is that mcnulty is naked in wink

fannybanjo Fri 15-Jul-11 16:10:06

Is it full frontal lucykate....?! grinblush

lucykate Fri 15-Jul-11 16:29:45

am pretty certain there's a butt on view. he ends up in bed with his ex wife, there's a brief shagging scene wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now