Talk

Advanced search

Best Kids' TV Show of All Time?

(37 Posts)
MeantToStopAtTwo Sun 03-Jul-11 16:14:55

I've been watching old videos/youtube clips of classic TV shows this weekend with the kiddos. My vote goes for Rainbow as the best kids' show of all time. It's educational, entertaining and I still find it engaging viewing today as an adult.

I've also been very impressed with an old 70s ITV show called Hickory House for the same reasons, which barely gets a mention these days.

I'm less keen on the BBC's Play School which seems dry in comparison.

What would you get your vote?

NetworkGuy Sun 03-Jul-11 18:40:16

I suppose it depends on age a bit. I remember "How" which had 4 presenters (from memory) where different 'how it works' type things were explained.

Fred Dinage, Bunty [someone], and at least a couple of other men were the presenters. One might have been Jack Hargreaves, who also had a 'Tales from the riverbank' show [early evening] on ITV when I lived down in Sussex (Southern TV, which used to open at 16:30 with photos of the white cliffs of Dover and some nautical music over it, I think)

Somehow when I went off to look for clips I found [a younger] Carol Vorderman in leather, and got distracted smile

mozette Sun 03-Jul-11 18:41:28

Play school or Rentaghost for me!

flipthefrog Sun 03-Jul-11 18:54:30

hector's house

flipthefrog Sun 03-Jul-11 20:43:49

wow i killed the thread with hector sad
that would have made him a sad hector

MigratingCoconuts Sun 03-Jul-11 20:49:25

play away!

dr Who?

meditrina Sun 03-Jul-11 20:52:14

There are quite a lot - there are the worthies, like Play School, Play Away, , Vision On, Record Breakers and Blue Peter.

Then the "classics" like the Magic Roundabout, Camberwick Green and The Clangers (and Doctor Who)

And just the ones that you remember fondly, like Hong Kong Phooey, Spiderman, Batman, Dangermouse, Hector's House, (add loads more here)

Plus current ones you think will stand the test of time, like Horrible Histories.

CQrrrneee Sun 03-Jul-11 20:55:55

I think the old ones are crap. I remember them fondly but then if I actually watch a clip they are awful. Even Dangermouse which I thought I loved, I have now realised was actually crap. Horrible Histories is awesome - I love it.

MrsJamin Sun 03-Jul-11 20:59:03

Maid Marian and Her Merry Men. By a mile!

MigratingCoconuts Sun 03-Jul-11 21:00:01

I do think Deadly 60 is genius!!

MigratingCoconuts Sun 03-Jul-11 21:01:16

and i also have very fond memories of 'the flashing blade' and 'champion the wonder horse'...I realise though, that beyond the opening credits, they were probably crap grin

notnowImreading Sun 03-Jul-11 21:07:00

Knightmare!

MrsBuntyisRatherGrumpy Mon 04-Jul-11 18:04:24

Mr Benn

muminthecity Mon 04-Jul-11 18:08:46

Bagpuss

WakeUpRosemary Thu 07-Jul-11 21:46:26

Sesame Street, especially the one with Stevie Wonder.

oaks56 Thu 07-Jul-11 21:53:33

Trapdoor
Willlow the wisp
Rentaghost
Chocablock

LordOfTheFlies Fri 08-Jul-11 02:01:52

Pingu-even though I couldn't understand a flippin word.
He was either very naughty and got his comeuppance or very good and got a reward.
So a good moral role model for DS. (Who is now 11 so wasted on him now)

YY to Horrible Histories- but mainly to catch a glimpse of Mathew Bayton in a toga (or less) blush

madhattershouse Fri 08-Jul-11 02:11:19

Willo-the-whisp anyone? Loved Kennth Williams narration!

LordOfTheFlies Sat 09-Jul-11 15:52:32

Ah Willow the Wisp.
I called two of my guniea-pigs Mavis and Edna. (And Edna was Evil believe me!)

monkeyslut Sat 09-Jul-11 17:21:47

Yup Maid Marion was briliant!

Also Knightmare was awesome!

But best ever kids program is The Simpsons seasons 1-10. Hands down the best

David34 Wed 13-Jul-11 00:52:26

Definately Bag Puss.

Simpsons is not a kids program, and has never been shown as a kids program either here or in the US.

wotabouttheworkers Wed 13-Jul-11 01:00:26

Noggin the Nog

Grange Hill was fab!! Anyone else remember Lizzy and the Witch?? And Kizzie??

ShowOfHands Wed 13-Jul-11 12:57:22

Agree about Knightmare and Maid Marian.

Simpsons is most definitely not a children's programme.

DramaInPyjamas Wed 13-Jul-11 13:03:47

I loved things like The Queens Nose, The Wild House, Demon Headmaster, Grange Hill, Boot Street Band.. etc

Wasn't much of a cartoon fan tbh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now