Talk

Advanced search

The Scheme?

(18 Posts)
MarioandLuigi Tue 21-Jun-11 22:04:57

Did anyone else watch last week, and will you be tuning in this week?

slartybartfast Tue 21-Jun-11 22:07:48

oh yes i did.
shocking.
but possibly i am a bit tired to be staying up tonight to be shocked again.

MarioandLuigi Tue 21-Jun-11 22:30:51

I am not watching it tonight - one week was enough, and the dog shite on the floor last week was enough to put me off.

Tuggy Tue 21-Jun-11 22:32:36

Saw it ages ago when it was on in Scotland... read in the paper that they're now showing it down in England and I think I heard that they're going to be putting subtitles on it shock

They're not speaking a different language it's called an accent hmm
Can people really not understand English spoken with a regional accent?

Certainly didnt have subtitles when they showed it in Scotland so not sure if that's true or not.

Anyway i LOVED it , total car crash TV that you should sit with your jaw dropped going OH. MY. GOD

SingingSands Tue 21-Jun-11 22:36:38

Lots of my Scottish friends used to report back on Facebook about what they'd seen. From their descriptions I don't think I'll bother. Sounds like Shameless, but Scottish.

As for the comment about subtitles - don't get a chip on your shoulder -plenty of people struggle with accents. And also, what about hearing impaired viewers? I'm sure they will appreciate the subtitles.

MarioandLuigi Tue 21-Jun-11 22:42:54

The whole thing wasnt subtitled, just a few bits that were hard to make out.

HeidiKat Tue 21-Jun-11 22:46:33

I'm Scottish and I wished it had subtitles sometimes, couldn't make out a word that Kerry was saying.

slartybartfast Tue 21-Jun-11 23:17:02

my dh - a scot - needed the subtitles btw, as he woudl do for rab c

realhousewifeofdevoncounty Tue 21-Jun-11 23:56:51

OMFG! Just watching now! Like another world. I thought I was working class, but this takes it to a whole new level! The mum bouncing her neighbour's head off the pavement in front of her dcs? shock

sundayrose10 Wed 22-Jun-11 00:55:01

I watched it. I could NOT understand ONE word they were saying. Sorry! shame I do not know how to work my TV for subtitles.

I judged. Heavily. They're not working class more like underclass.

I might as well just watched without sound as I was like 'WTF' at their regional accent. Long live London.

Lol somebody will be up soon to tell me to fuck off. I will gracefully take it because that accent is just NOT the business.

Tuggy Wed 22-Jun-11 10:19:59

It's an AWFUL accent I agree and also agree they are NOT working class. They don't work! They're underclass...

slartybartfast Wed 22-Jun-11 10:23:32

did it cause much controversy in scotland when it was shown?
only a handful of people agreed to be filmed i think i heard, and the rest must be saying Dont tar us all with the same brush!

lorelilee Wed 22-Jun-11 13:00:07

I'm Scottish and watched it and, yes, it shocked most of us! Wait till you see ep 3 with the guy shooting up heroin in his kitchen - horrifiying! However, I'm sure they could find pretty much the same scenes in any 'sink estate' in the UK.

slartybartfast Wed 22-Jun-11 21:03:59

that is a fair point

AmberLeaf Wed 22-Jun-11 21:15:56

I think the subtitles were needed......not so much for the regional accents but for the drugged slurry voices!

constantlytired Fri 24-Jun-11 19:07:45

Sundayrose - seriously? Long Live London? You're right, i'm sure there are no people like this in London hmm This sort of estate is rife throughout the whole of the UK. FWIW, i watched about 20 mins of it, and was absolutely disgusted, those poor kids i feel sorry for. sad

AmberLeaf Fri 24-Jun-11 21:24:29

constantly tired,. there are these types everywhere however there arent whole estates of them in London, its generally much more mixed even in the 'rougher' considered areas.

constantlytired Fri 24-Jun-11 22:14:37

AmberLeaf - I couldn't really comment as to the accuracy of your statement, as i don't live in London, but to think this kind of scheme only exists outwith London is naive, just my opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now