Talk

Advanced search

The Kennedys

(6 Posts)
CaveMum Mon 20-Jun-11 13:32:31

Did anyone catch the first two parts over the weekend?

I thought it was very good. I have to confess that I don't know a great deal about the family - barring the obvious. I know it is a dramatisation, and therefore not be taken literally, but old Joe Kennedy seemed a right piece of work! I was shocked to read about what he did to his daughter. The poor girl.

I'm not surprised that the series has caused controversy in the USA - it seems some people have a very rose-tinted view of JFK. The golden boy who can do no wrong.

MurielTheActor Mon 20-Jun-11 17:03:29

I thought it was extraordinarily uninteresting. I always thought it was well known that Father Joe was a complete tyrant.
I found the script unbelievably banal.
The only thing I liked was the wallpaper...
Will not be watching any more.

sharbie Tue 21-Jun-11 19:01:45

saw the last 10 mins of the home video prog last night - seriously creepy

MelinaM Wed 22-Jun-11 00:51:18

I found it rather interesting too CaveMum, a very bizarre family indeed! There was a program on Saturday evening that was from the point of view of the 'Kennedy children's' nanny, that was good too!
The Marilyn saga is covered by the next ep!

streakybacon Wed 22-Jun-11 07:13:50

I'm surprised there was so much controversy, actually. The Kennedy family story has been widely known for decades and there wasn't anything new in the series. I think it's just that the Americans have always regarded the Kennedys as the closest they've ever had to a Royal Family and as such they don't want to hear a bad word against them, even if it's been in the public domain for ever.

Also, lots of present day viewers may not be familiar with the well-known personal history and not feel comfortable with learning that their giants of history were less than perfect.

Enjoyed the Kennedy Family Album programme, from the nanny's perspective. No wonder those kids were all so screwed up sad.

Empusa Thu 23-Jun-11 23:22:38

I have to admit my knowledge of American history is sketchy at best, so this is proving interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now