Talk

Advanced search

Dispatches-The Thief Catchers-Ex drug addict given £2000 to refurbish flat, guess what happened next?

(8 Posts)
Hammy02 Tue 14-Jun-11 12:36:12

Did anyone else watch this? One guy had been in and out of prison and drug rehab. Eventually he'd been off drugs for a few weeks, was given a new flat, all brand new. Then given £2000 in cash to buy furniture. He went straight to his old drug dealer. Even as someone with no experience in drug use, I saw this coming. Surely the agencies that deal with ex drug users should realise that someone prepared to burgle for money is not going to be responsible enough to have the willpower not to spend that much money on a very strong addiction?

EricNorthmansMistress Wed 15-Jun-11 11:37:16

Who gave him £2k cash? Total set up. Unless it was the Social fund in which case they don't check up on what the money is spent on (odd)

MrsVidic Wed 15-Jun-11 20:20:57

I work directly with people like the clients in this programme- the community care grant my clients get is £500-£1000 when they set up a new flat.
I really liked the programme as it was one of the first realistic documenteries I've seen about theft/ drugs

Hammy02 Thu 16-Jun-11 11:18:08

But why give relatively recent addicts, cash? Why not vouchers? It would take a hell of a strong addictive character to have the willpower not to spend the money on drugs/drink/whatever the addiction is?

MrsVidic Thu 16-Jun-11 12:09:19

This is always my argument but unfortunately it's easier to give them cash

CeliaFate Thu 16-Jun-11 12:31:44

Oh FFS! Surely they can set up an account with a local furniture store and then give the customers a credit voucher to a certain value. It's not rocket science is it? It's like giving a child £2000 and saying "now don't spend it all on crap". Grrr. I'll stop now before I become welded to my soap box.

Hammy02 Thu 16-Jun-11 14:32:30

Exactly CeliaFate. I never understand why things aren't more obvious to the people making the decisions. If these people have spent years burgling houses to fund their habit, it will be like all their Chrismases coming at once to give them that much cash. And if anyone pipes up about human rights, I think these people were incredibly lucky to be given free rehab, free house, benefits etc.

MrsVidic Thu 16-Jun-11 19:24:53

Money is the worst thing you can give a recovering addict, at work we dread their 'pay day' as it always means some will have a relapse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now