Advanced search

Anyone watching "Terry Pratchett: Choosing to Die"

(213 Posts)
MindyMacready Mon 13-Jun-11 21:35:23

Uncomfortable viewing.

2cats2many Mon 13-Jun-11 21:41:15

I can feel myself welling up.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 21:43:37

Very uncomfortable, and I am welling up.
But I work with people with dementia, some days it's okay, other days I come home and tell DH that is I get like that to give me a handful of tablets. For his sake as well as mine.

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:49:05

im watching. very thought provoking. i do believe that you should have the choice, without travelling abroad, if that is your choice, if youre of sound mind, and if there is no hope of recovery.

watching this has not changed my mind.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Mon 13-Jun-11 21:49:28

Very hard to watch, and thought provoking.

How awful that such a brilliant man has got a disease that will leave him able to know that he is not as he should be. Must be absolutely heartbreaking for him.

olivo Mon 13-Jun-11 21:51:04

sobbing away here, but I agree totally that it should be their right.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Mon 13-Jun-11 21:52:52

His poor family, watching him do this- they must just want to knock it out of his hand, even if it is for the best.

MsHighwater Mon 13-Jun-11 21:53:22

I feel so sorry for this man's wife. She does not want this, does she?

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:54:14

oh my goodness....this is hard,

sailorsgal Mon 13-Jun-11 21:54:50

His wife is been incredibly brave. sad

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:54:59

im crying now....bloody hell

MindyMacready Mon 13-Jun-11 21:57:27

welling up here, his wife was so strong for him.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 22:02:20

I think as a family member you never ever want that for them, but when someone is in pain, or no longer the person they want to be then I can imagine people allowing them to do it.

Dementia is particularly hard because people stop being the person they were, but by that point they can't make the choice for themselves. The mid stages of dementia are heartbreaking for family, and scary and confusing for the person. The later stages are still heartbreaking for family, but the person is often no longer aware of what is happening.

BrokenBananaTantrum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:02:24

I'm in tears here. But I do not regret watching this. Gosh its hard though. I didn't expect him to struggle but I felt he did when he was asking for water. Did I misunderstand that bit?

EightiesChick Mon 13-Jun-11 22:05:19

I was watching. Don't know what to say. Very moving.

Watching the Newsnight debate now.

BrokenBananaTantrum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:06:44

I'm watching newsnight too. I'm a bit at a loss as to how I feel.

2cats2many Mon 13-Jun-11 22:07:31

That was really quite hard to watch. It wasn't quite as peaceful as I always imagined it, but he obviously really wanted to go. Just hideous fornthe family member accompanying them.

bilblio Mon 13-Jun-11 22:08:05

BBT - They'd said earlier that the medication would make him feel very sick, even though they gave him medication to ease the nausea. I think that's why he was asking for water.

2cats2many Mon 13-Jun-11 22:08:58

I think that bishop is talking out of his arse. I didn't see anything coercive about the programme.

BrokenBananaTantrum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:09:14

I thought that too 2cats. It didn't seem as peaceful as I thought.

gailforce1 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:09:32

So sad that people seem to have to choose to die early because they are scared to leave it too long incase they are unable to make the journey.

BrokenBananaTantrum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:11:03

Ah yes bilibo I remember. Why would they not let him have some?

ThatVikRinA22 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:11:29

had to turn off the newsnight debate. i think there is probably not a great way to die, but thats as near to it as it comes. he seemed quite peaceful, apart from i thought he struggled just a little when he asked for water, then seemed to slip into a deep sleep. i was moved by the way the doctor held him as he died.
the poor old fella. and his poor poor wife. but i do believe in the right to chose when to call it a day under the right circumstances.

BrokenBananaTantrum Mon 13-Jun-11 22:13:51

I agree vicar. It is as close to peaceful as you can get I suppose. Its so sad.

EightiesChick Mon 13-Jun-11 22:15:33

I was troubled by the info that 21% of the users of Dignitas don't have a terminal or incurable condition. That's a very difficult area to get into. I can see why they couldn't cover it in the programme, but still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now