Talk

Advanced search

Wonderland - Travels with my family

(9 Posts)
latermater Wed 08-Jun-11 21:37:44

Anyone watching? Lovely documentary about 4 families on different journeys. Very moving. I am a sucker for a great documentary and this has been a great series.

ilovepesto Wed 08-Jun-11 22:17:53

Hi latermater, I caught the last 15 minutes, so missed most of it. What was the story with the older Scottish boy. What lovely families they all were, but I have to confess the mother of the adopted black girl left me feeling slightly uncomfortable.

latermater Wed 08-Jun-11 22:22:14

Hi Pesto, he has aspergers, but you may have missed a lovely scene in the car when the brothers told each other (in a completley genuine and non-soppy way) that they loved each other. Agree about the adoptive mother: "I wanted black" was a very odd remark to make to your own adopted daughter.

ilovepesto Wed 08-Jun-11 22:26:10

I thought it was aspergers, I had a difficult time trying to describe what aspergers was to my son. I did see the bit where they told each other they loved each other. I thought it was lovely. I cried when the children scattered their mothers ashes. How did she die? What beautiful boys. It really was a lovely programme.

latermater Wed 08-Jun-11 22:40:27

The mother died of liver cancer and I missed a bit so wasn't sure if the subsequent discussion about whether she mostly drank fosters or heineken was in any way related or completely irrelevant but I cried too at the ashes: lovely boys.

atswimtwolengths Thu 09-Jun-11 23:23:01

I've just watched this on iPlayer. What a wonderful documentary. Those three boys sitting in the car - that image will stay with me for a long time - the expressions on their faces. And yes, I wondered about the Fosters, too - one of the boys says something about everyone they know has liver cancer - I didn't know whether they meant people they knew from the hospital. What lovely boys.

Wasn't the little black girl (sorry, don't know her name) absolutely gorgeous? And such a sunny personality. I didn't like the mum - she seemed a real bully with her husband. And yes, I didn't like the way she said 'I wanted black' - as though her daughter's colour was the most important thing. I didn't get the impression she and her husband had a very happy relationship.

I loved the family with the two boys, too. I was sad for the younger boy though - I felt he missed out on something with his brother being so much the centre of attention - though their relationship was lovely at times.

At the end, when the three boys scattered their mum's ashes, I thought the scene of the beach was absolutely beautiful - almost like a painting.

I'm going to watch some of the rest now - this is the third series - I can't believe I hadn't heard of it.

ilovepesto Fri 10-Jun-11 21:30:10

wasn't it fab atswim. I've loved the series and can't wait for the next episode.

atswimtwolengths Sat 11-Jun-11 16:58:03

I haven't seen any of the others, ilovepesto - can you recommend any of them in particular?

ilovepesto Sun 12-Jun-11 11:19:36

atswim, it's been going on for years, if you google it I think you can watch some of the back series. There was a brilliant one about posh families and their relationships with their children. It was really moving and funny at the same time. There's a few threads on here too if you do a search. Sorry I can't remember the name of the series.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: