Talk

Advanced search

What is the appeal of Glee, Fame, Dirty Dancing et al

(11 Posts)
KatyMac Sat 04-Jun-11 20:32:08

Why do they appeal (not to everyone, but obviously to me)

Flashdance, Strictly Ballroom, Footloose, Grease?

I can watch them over & over again (btw why hasn't 'Kids from fame' been repeated?)

bruffin Sun 05-Jun-11 01:00:22

I just love a good musical and they usually have a feel good ending. It's easy to loose yourself and forget your worries.

I have the kids from fame series 1 and 2 (i think) on dvd. My DCs loved Britannia High a few years back and they used exactly the same story lines as Fame grin

antlerqueen Sun 05-Jun-11 05:58:13

Some people like karaoke, i guess..

(no offense, i just don't see the appeal :p)

jaggythistle Sun 05-Jun-11 06:28:41

I was going to say I started off watching musicals when i was wee, now Glee is my guilty pleasure. smile

I used to love a bit of West Side Story etc.

CeliaFate Sun 05-Jun-11 08:50:47

They're colourful, cheerful, energetic, escapist and you can join in. What's not to love? grin

KatyMac Sun 05-Jun-11 09:38:43

Oh Old musicals wow - my favourite

Yes they are feel good

Georgimama Sun 05-Jun-11 09:49:40

Dirty Dancing isn't a musical so I wouldn't class it in the same group really. I can easily explain the appeal of DD though - this man had the best bod I have ever seen, frankly.

KatyMac Sun 05-Jun-11 10:21:44

Well neither are Flashdance or footloose or Strictly Ballroom either

But they provide me with the same feelings

bruffin Sun 05-Jun-11 10:52:20

Funny thing is Patrick Swayse never really did it for me - he always looked short.

Flashdance , Dirty Dancing and Strictly are still based around music and dance as are the Step Up films. I suppose you could call them dance films as apposed to musicals.

LetThereBeRock Sun 05-Jun-11 11:06:11

I generally love musicals,but I loathe Glee. I've tried to watch it a few times now,and really don't understand its appeal. It's as obnoxious as High School Musical,and the overuse of autotune is painful.

KatyMac Sun 05-Jun-11 16:34:16

& the older musicals were often both musicals & dance films; or maybe not

I just love 'em

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now