Talk

Advanced search

Anyone going to watch Google baby on more4?

(24 Posts)
Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 22:02:24

.............? I am going to brave it.

FairyArmadillo Tue 31-May-11 22:19:39

Yes. It's uncomfortable viewing but I'm sticking with it. As I'm watching I'm Googling surrogacy in India. I really don't want to judge but am a bit agog at what I've already seen.

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 22:33:38

Me too! And the surrogate mums don't look as though they are enjoying it much. It's a big price to pay and I bet they get very little of the money paid for the child. sad

FairyArmadillo Tue 31-May-11 22:40:48

The website I looked at had a photograph of a glamorous pregnant Indian model with braided hair extensions and a sari floating around her belly. Looked nothing like the women in the clinic.

I couldn't quite believe that the doctor was taking a phone call from a client while she stitched up the lady after her section. I really, really wanted to watch with an open, non judgemental mindset but am failing spectacularly!

Valiant1 Tue 31-May-11 22:42:34

when is it on

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 22:45:05

Now

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 22:47:05

I just find the whole 'chosing' what your baby will look like or chosing specific traits in a load of pictures of different people very difficult. It is scary.

Valiant1 Tue 31-May-11 22:48:02

doh dh has the remote sad will watch on 4 on demand if its on x thanks

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 22:49:25

No problem Valiant - it is very interesting and is opening my eyes!

MelinaM Tue 31-May-11 23:35:40

Very interesting indeedshock That chap Doran is making me very uncomfortable, one word, GREED!

Wottywot Tue 31-May-11 23:38:42

Yes Melina, it's actually making me quite angry about it all.
I think he thinks he is the new 'God'

MelinaM Tue 31-May-11 23:44:25

I totally agree! He's not a doctor/medical professional, nor does he hold the relevant licences for these activities, why oh why is it allowed?!!! Also, he seems to dedicate most of his time to 'the cause', and spends very little time with his much wanted child!

Vashali's husband is also making my blood boil. "I'll send her off again...", dear me who the hell does he think he is!!!!

I really must calm downgrin

puffylovett Wed 01-Jun-11 08:44:25

Well that made for uncomfortable watching, Indian poor used as incubation cash cows. I mean, why all the planned caesarians? Why no vaginal deliveries? Or am I just being too cynical.

FairyArmadillo Wed 01-Jun-11 09:27:02

Vashali didn't look very happy, did she?

I had to change the channel towards the end, when they were cutting open that poor woman and they were decided to carry on even if it was hurting her.

MelinaM Wed 01-Jun-11 10:08:58

I thought that too puffy, very bizarre indeed, although I'm guessing there's some sort of financial incentive behind itshock

No, she looked very sad and withdrawn, whilst her husband was deciding what to spend her next 'surrogacy payment' on!

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this business go against their religion/beliefs etc...

FairyArmadillo Wed 01-Jun-11 11:09:27

This program is still haunting me. I'd love to know what happens to the babies. I'm sure they go to loving families but it looked to me like they were churning them out like expensive supermarket goods. Probably got too emotional but I really felt for the baby girl at the end of the program.

JuicyLips Wed 01-Jun-11 11:25:03

I watched it on+1 last night, I found it disturbing to watch. I felt for that baby too FA, All the mothers did seem to be poorly looked after as well, did they need to be lying down on the beds all that time?

Wottywot Wed 01-Jun-11 14:48:27

I'm still thinking about it today. The mother's did all look rather slender and they didn't look all that healthy did they?
I don't know. I can't get my head around it. There are so many little babies needing to be adopted and cared for (I wish they made the process easier) it almost seems wrong to be 'making' babies like this. I think the cash made from it (especially the american woman donating eggs and having to inject medication everyday to make she ovulates at the right time) is just dirty money. I am of the opinion that people should work to earn the money they want for extras, its not like they were hard up or anything like the Indian women. Must be awful being pregnanct for 9 months and having to hand the baby back too.................lots of mixed emotions! sad

FairyArmadillo Wed 01-Jun-11 17:37:19

www.medicaltourismco.com/assisted-reproduction-fertility/low-cost-surrogacy-india.php

I looked this up while I was watching. At some point even Doran had a moment where he felt uncomfortable taking his suitcase of embryos to India. I'm didn't like it at all. I know I will never fully understand the point of view of a woman who can't have their own children. I've never been in that position- but this is just wrong. It's like The Handmaid's Tale but horrifically real.

MelinaM Wed 01-Jun-11 23:30:02

I agree, it's completely and utterly wrong. Money can indeed buy you ANYTHING you want!

Wottywot Thu 02-Jun-11 07:21:33

Glad we all agree on that! smile (it's wrong)

kitkatya Thu 02-Jun-11 23:24:58

I had to turn it over, I felt sick. Where will it end?

PurveyorOfBaloney Thu 02-Jun-11 23:33:11

I picked it up on On Demand yesterday, the beginning was so dreadfully, awfully WRONG that I though for at least the first 10 minutes it was some kind of sick mockumentary. That woman, sauntering into theatre for the c-section, no washing that I saw, then talking on the phone whilst performing major surgery FFS.

Whole thing was SICK, SICK, SICK

Wottywot Fri 03-Jun-11 07:25:27

sad Exactly where will it end? It's immoral. Interesting it was a man (Doran) that was doing it I think too. How can he think it's ok (and that Indian woman organising the other side) to barter with the human race?
I really hope this is not the future for us.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: