Talk

Advanced search

Louis Theroux - Miami Mega Jail

(14 Posts)
KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 29-May-11 21:25:32

Anyone watching ?!

blabalalalablabla Sun 29-May-11 21:53:07

yes - watched last week as well and I couldn't sleep after watching it. This week is less harrowing.

NoelEdmondshair Sun 29-May-11 23:03:19

And the United States dare to lecture the rest of the world about human rights when they keep people who have not been found guilty in such hellish conditions (talking about last week's episode, not seen this week's yet).

EttiKetti Mon 30-May-11 08:23:57

I watch it like this shock but I have to admit to loving programmes about American prisons - I think just so I can be so shocked! The size of them, the awful conditions, the unbelievable ratio of non-white:white inmates hmm. It looks absolutely horrendous but its still not a deterrent, is it?!

Louis has never looked so out of place tho, has he grin even in the biggest brothel he fitted in more grin

Wilts Mon 30-May-11 08:28:32

Awful, I found the case of the 14 year old quite distressing. How on earth can he be in an adult prison and not even having the opportunity to access education.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-May-11 08:54:58

The boot camp was ridiculous. No wonder it didn't work.
There seems to be an awful sub culture where people are left to rot. And almost all appeared to be black.
Louis is very good though!

howsthatworkingforyou Mon 30-May-11 12:59:29

did anyone think that small geeky lad from the first episode was unnerving??

noddyholder Mon 30-May-11 13:02:45

I found this whole thing so distressing The awful mentality of bootcamp trying to rehabilitate young offenders by screaming at them when they have probably been screamed at all their lives. The 'guards' were awful

blabalalalablabla Mon 30-May-11 13:06:50

To be honest the bootcamp was a thousand times better than the alternative. Watch part 1 for the true horrendousness which can only demonstrate the true inequalities in the states. Not a good country to be poor in sad

lizziemun Mon 30-May-11 13:13:06

howsthatworkingforyou

Yes there was diffinatly (SP) something very wrong with him.

i was very shocked how long these men were in prison awaiting trail, I'm sure one said he'd been waiting for nearly 10yrs in last night programme.

KenDoddsDadsDog Mon 30-May-11 18:12:41

In the first programme the geeky boy said that that's they try to stay on remand for as long as possible. So the state loses interest and so does the public. Especially if you are facing the death penalty.
There is no doubt that there are some very bad men in that place!

RoyalWelsh Mon 30-May-11 19:49:34

I watched it too, I couldn't help but feel for that 14 year old. I too thought that boot camp was a much better alternative, but I'm sure that it doesn't actually work. Tbh I'm not sure any sort of reactionary thing CAN work, I just think that fhe sort of world the majority of people in that prison live in breeds more prison fodder. It's just so sad.

<wanders off to sing happy songs and cuddle her dog in denial of the horrible state of the world>

Straight2Extremes Mon 30-May-11 22:36:21

The problem is poverty often mixed with inadequate parenting and peer pressure (because of the neighborhood). The American Jail system does nothing to stop the problem they throw people in jail where they have to become harder and more brutal in order to survive then when released they are unable to function normally in society and end up right back in prison.

Most of the people in prisons are re-offenders with many being in juvenile prisons as children/teens. Then there is a high black population in prisons (in some states like Miami) because there is a disproportionate amount of black Americans in the poverty trap and America has a habit of putting black Americans in jail and throwing away the key at the slightest sign of trouble.

pawsnclaws Tue 31-May-11 10:41:33

DH and I used to feel the same watching The First 48. I'm struggling to remember a case where the victim and the suspect were not black or Hispanic. And the reason for the crime was so depressingly familiar - robbery or a row over a small debt/drugs/gangs/a girlfriend.

Yes, there were some very bad men involved, and there was terrible fear on the part of witnesses who were afraid of being labelled a snitch. But most were also men that you could see had found themselves trapped in a cycle of poverty/neglect/drugs/violence - some who never knew their parents. The saddest were the young men who confessed and then sat there and cried for their mums, their girlfriends, or their children they would never see grow up.

It was hard to see the parents and families of the victims too - very often they didn't seem surprised - just resigned to the fact that their child had been gunned down young. That's not to say there wasn't grief, but it was almost expected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now