Talk

Advanced search

Fans of 'The Killing'. Swedish Wallander on 9pm, BBC4 slot tonight!

(60 Posts)
TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 07:58:43

Apparently the original Swedish series, Series 2. I haven't seen any of these before but I am v excited to be filling that little Scandinavian hole left by The Killing.

Anyone else fancy watching?

foxinsocks Sat 21-May-11 08:02:17

I'm going to watch. Is it the one with the blonde Wallander or the one with the dark one?

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Sat 21-May-11 08:03:56

They've been running the swedish versions for months and I keep missing them or catching part of it an going "damn that's good, I'll watch later" and never do.

They are meant to be much better than brannagh's version - thanks for the heads up, I'll try and properly watch them now!

TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 08:08:40

Red, I think. Is that good or bad?

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rs406/Wallander_Series_2_The_Revenge/

foxinsocks Sat 21-May-11 08:20:43

The dark Wallander is the best by miles (Krister Henrikkson). Your link just takes me to the main iplayer page but I think it is him.

There is a blonde Wallander (rolf someone or other) but I never thought that he was as good as the dark one.

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Sat 21-May-11 08:29:48

Yup, my scandi friends rave about Henrikkson.

Did you see the bb4 series on Iceland last week? They had a docu on scandi crime that was good and interviewed him.

TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 08:30:46

Oh goody. Just checked again (not sure why link not working) and it is Krister Henrikkson. That's Saturday night sorted out then smile

PacificDogwood Sat 21-May-11 08:34:30

Oh, thanks for that reminder.
I watched series 1 and it was absolutely compulsive viewing. Much better than The Killing shock. I never got into the English language one. I think it kind of helps that you have to watch the screen to read the subtitles and therefore are forced to actually pay attention to what's happening. Yes, I am v easily distracted...

<<off to set Sky+ for the whole series>>

TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 08:48:57

Better than The Killing, pacdogwood shock shock shock???? Is that possible? Sorry, I'm a bit of a pathetic fan, really. My life did kind of come to a halt when it finished. <saddo emotion>

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 11:14:19

Do you have to have seen season 1? We have never watched Wallander but were huge fans of The Killing.

PacificDogwood Sat 21-May-11 11:38:24

Well, I really liked The Killing and thought Sarah Lund was just such a perfect, imperfect heroine. But I felt let down by the end. I suppose I really wanted it NOT to be Vagn, although I had spotted in one of the first installement that he had a plaster way back on his neck (not were you'd expect a guy to cut himself shaving <<taps nose knowingly>>) grin. I got waaaayyyyy too sucked into the bereaved family's emotions - I just cannot imagine losing a child. At all. Ever. Let alone under those circumstances.
BUT - I was expecting more of a connection to Troels and his lot. So, ok, in the end he was not quite the paragon of virtue he and us wanted to believe, but hey ho.

Wallander season 1 was quite different in that every program is a complete story with a resolution of sorts - even if it is that Wallander and his team know damn well whoddunnit, but cannot prove/prosecute, whatever. Which I am sure, is far closer to the truth than CSI want to make us believe.

Isla, I think you'd be fine just diving into season 2.

Cannot wait <<pathetic>>

dottyaboutstripes Sat 21-May-11 11:44:50

This Wallander is a repeat series sad

BUT - tis EXCELLENT! I love Wallander!

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 11:46:35

Thanks PG.

PacificDogwood Sat 21-May-11 12:11:32

Noooooooo, not a repeat, say it ain't so, dotty, I feel so let down!! sad

WowOoo Sat 21-May-11 12:20:06

Have seen them all before, years ago on DVD.

But have Spiral series 1 and 2 on DVD instead.
And last episode of Shadow Line? Anyone else seen that. I love Mr Eccleston. grin

Want to see more of the Killing.

Some of the Wallander ones are so good. I love BBC4.

TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 13:09:42

Pacdogwood I do know what you mean about the ending of The Killing. I was involved on a thread here that discussed each possible ending/theory in great depth, and most of us thought it was Vagn, but kind of wanted it to be Troels (iyswim). Still, incredibly gripping stuff that really made you think.

Sorry, didn't realize (as a Wallander virgin) that this is a repeat tonight. Am embarrassed blush

TooTiredToArgue Sat 21-May-11 13:21:12

<rushes back in, blushing>

seashells can you tell me the name of that documentary? I'd love to see it but a quick search on Iplayer hasn't come up with anything that looks like it. Thanks.

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Sat 21-May-11 13:32:03

I've just checked and it's expired sad there is still a really interesting Storyville program on an Icelandic photographer from may 9th still there.

BUT if you google time shift Nordic noir someone has uploaded it onto YouTube smile

IslaValargeone Sat 21-May-11 15:05:34

I'm having a bit of a wobbly knee moment remembering Troels.

HugoFirst Sat 21-May-11 15:08:10

omg on twitter "He" got me vaguely sexually aroused

MavisEnderby Sat 21-May-11 15:18:21

i the swedish version of Wallander has been on beeb4 last year?Saw a couple and once had got used to the subtitles think I liked it better than the one with kenneth branagh

SeaShellsHasSandInHerShoes Sat 21-May-11 22:30:24

Brillient- thanks for reminding me, that's my Saturday sorted smile

atswimtwolengths Sun 22-May-11 12:56:44

I'm still really pissed off that it was Vagn in The Killing. He was so obviously a creep and the series was so clever, that I thought it was a really bad move having him as the killer.

(Oh god I can feel a rant building up here...)

The main thing that didn't tie up was the timing. Nanna had the taxi ride to the flat. She told the driver she was leaving the country to be with her boyfriend (yet the driver worked for her mum and dad and she hadn't told them that - bit unlikely she would tell him.)

She went up to the flat to get her passport (again very unlikely that she would have left it in a drawer there - given her then boyfriend's wasn't even meant to be using the flat.)

In the time it took her to come down again, Vagn had received a phone call from the taxi driver, stolen some sleeping tablets from the nursing home where his uncle was staying, gave them to his uncle and (presumably as the uncle had no recollection of him leaving) waited until they took effect. He then drove over to the flat (not knowing which number it was) and found Nanna and fought with her.

This just doesn't add up!

All I can think is that the poor writer's brain was so scrambled by the end (if ours were, think of his!) that he made a mistake and assumed that Vagn had a lot more time than he actually had.

So as you can see, this series has obviously really affected me! I have arguments in my mind all the damn time.

PacificDogwood Sun 22-May-11 15:37:22

atswim, I am SO with you!

Also, the motivation just did not sit quite right with me: the whole keeping her for 20 hrs or whatever, washing and cutting her fingernails, then releasing her into the forest to let her run and chase her down - that's all quite hard-core socio/psychopathic behaviour, not just 'oh I attacked her because I lost my rag as there was no reasoning with her re her running off with her lova and it got out of hand, and oh oops, I raped her a little, didn't mean to' hmm.

And how dare the writers do that to the poor family?? (Told you I am far too caught up in their feelings blush):
So your beloved child dies.
No, got brutally murdered.
No, was raped, tortured, held for hours and then drowned alive.
AND it was your close family friend, godfather to your sons, 2nd in command in your business etc etc.

Point 1 makes no sense and Point 2 is just plain Wrong <<gavel>>

<and breathe>

BTW, last night's Wallander was one I had not seen, must have missed the first episode last time round, so all was good grin! See, now there the whole plot made sense, take note, Killling Writers - can we have a Series 2, pretty please?? <<flutters eye lashes in ridiculous show of neediness>>

muminlondon Sun 22-May-11 22:25:13

I watched Wallander again last night - I loved the way the two rookie characters develop. And also showing Wallander at his best in that negotiation scene on the square.

Was really pleased to see The Killing won a Bafta, up against Boadwalk Empire and Mad Men in the international category. Maybe series 2 will get shown end of August/September? It'll take three months for Wallander 2 to get shown.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: