Talk

Advanced search

I'm confused - The Good Wife

(157 Posts)
TracyK Mon 11-Apr-11 20:58:48

Can someone explain to me the bit between Calinda and Blake and Will?

Did Will tell Blake to kneecap the witness - but only metaphorically and Blake did it - literally??

And Blake is trying to set up Calinda for it? And Calinda is trying to set Blake up for it?

paulapantsdown Mon 11-Apr-11 21:02:04

jeez - i watch this every week and I have no idea!

I find it all a bit hard to keep track off on this show tbh as it does move a bit slowly

sorry am NO help smile

anonacfr Mon 11-Apr-11 21:12:08

Will has a 'history' with Blake who used to work at his old firm years ago. He did mean the whole kneecaping thing metaphorically but Blake went ahead and did it.
Blake is basically employed by Bond who has his own agenda for the firm and wants to get into bed with the sexy drug dealer guy- who Blake also works/worked for.

He's trying to set Kalinda up presumably to get rid of her and take her place in the firm. Although having watched a few more episodes he seems to have a random vendetta against her which is never fully explained. I think the writers were aiming for a love/hate sexual tension thing between Blake and Kalinda but the actor is so poor it never worked out.
Stick with it and ignore Blake as much as possible- it's turning out to be a very tense of season!

llareggub Mon 11-Apr-11 21:17:15

I think initially the tension between kalinda and Blake was down to professional rivalry. I don't think she approves of his investigatory methods either. She's an interesting character. Not keen on him.

TracyK Tue 12-Apr-11 09:15:21

I'm just wondering if there will be an ironic twist at the end.

Alicia ditches hubby and goes with Will - only for Will to get sent to jail for 'instructing' the kneecapping! From 1 in jail hubby to 1 in jail boyfriend!

NoelEdmondshair Tue 12-Apr-11 11:16:30

Alicia is as dull as ditchwater! I think Will should take up with Diane - at least they'd have a laugh.

And it seems Blake has something on Kalinda's background but he mutters so much I can't quite follow ... was he going on about a fire in a house in Canada ... or have I completely made that up?

paulapantsdown Tue 12-Apr-11 15:04:42

you are right noel that there is a lot of mumbling all round

i was starting think it was me going deaf in my old age, but glad to hear its not just me!

come to think of it, I find this mumbling thing with a lot of US shows - they need someone from the BBC to go and train em up in RP

llareggub Tue 12-Apr-11 16:15:42

I love Diane, and it was only recently that I worked out that she was the third friend in Mamma Mia.

Beegey Tue 12-Apr-11 22:45:23

The last thing that Blake told Kalinda as he lay gasping on the floor following her wee baseball bat attack on him was that he had called her husband. Cue look of horror on Kalinda's face. He also kept calling her Leela.

I only know this as I watch with the subtitles on, partly as I am terrified of awaking the baby and partly cos of all of the blummin muttering.

I also think Kalinda's character is great.I also enjoy the Carey character (easy on the eye too...) This is one of the best things on tv, can't believe it has been relegated to More4.

adalle Wed 13-Apr-11 00:05:13

One of my fav shows but I agree character of Alicia is so stiff sometimes

The big question is who is the mole, isn't it?

I love the board room politics makes me laugh.

Bue Wed 13-Apr-11 15:04:09

I can't understand half of the mumbled conversations and it's nothing to do with accents, because I'm Canadian! I have to pause and ask DH to explain what's going on at least once an episode now.

'Tis brilliant this season though. Carey, Diane, Eli Gold and Kalinda are my favourites. There are some hilarious judge characters as well. Though I wish Kalinda wouldn't slip into an English accent seven times an episode. She really needs to work on holding the US accent to the very end of the sentence.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-11 15:22:07

There was definitely supposed to be a love/hate UST thing between Kalinda and Blake, but it hasn't worked out like that, which unfortunately just leaves us with a bit of a mess. He was instructed to investigate her by Bond (who has a history with Will, who in turn is not as clean cut as we think, I think confused). But I think he found something out about her and has taken it further under his own steam and now they have this strange game going on.

I have seen a few more episodes, and the Leela thing does come to something - for ages I thought they were never going to do anything with it.

I think that the Alicia character is supposed to be stiff. I don't think it's a writing or acting fault, that's the way she is supposed to be. She's repressed, we've heard this in her conversations with her brother.Add to that, she's used to being the wife of a public man who humiliated her for the world to see. We do see her unwind sometimes, when drinking with Kalinda. I think JM does an excellent job playing Alicia.

Cary is becoming a great character, too.

NoelEdmondshair Wed 13-Apr-11 15:39:05

Alicia's brother is very, very annoying.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-11 15:44:05

grin yes, he is

Bue Wed 13-Apr-11 19:26:40

Agree Alicia is supposed to be a bit stiff and repressed. Great acting all round in this series.

The brother is actually kind of growing on me.

<runs away and hangs head in shame>

Cary is really growing on me now, his smirking annoyed me a lot until recently but he is getting a lot more depth now. Kalinda is starting to get rattled now, I'm fascinated to see where her storlyline will go. I would like to see a bit more of Diane, she has not been as much to the fore in this series. Will's girlfriend is highly irritating, I guess she's meant to be.

I also think you catch more of what's going on by using the subtitles, but DH doesn't like having them on.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-11 20:40:45

I think that Diane will have more story next season - I think that she will try again to be a judge, and we will see more of her, and also more of Will, as I am pretty sure he has some shady business to come out. Don't think we will get too much of that this year though.

I assume that Peter will win the election this year. Tammy is highly irritating "don't fall in love with me" <barf> but yes, I think she is mean to be. And she isn't going to last any way.

Bue Wed 13-Apr-11 21:58:24

I'm wondering if the Alicia and Will situation will come to a head right around election day.

Tammy is super annoying. The only person who annoys me more is Becca, Zack's "girlfriend". She is also clearly falling in love with Will after going on and on about not wanting him to do the same. Gee, I couldn't see that one coming.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-11 22:07:44

I think that the Alicia Will situation is a long haul thing. They have advanced it at such a glacial pace, to push it along in the next few episodes would be artificial. I think Peter will win the election, the Kalinda stuff will play out this season. I think that Alicia might find out what Will said in that message on her phone.

I would imagine we might see some more A/W stuff next year.

Yes, I very much enjoyed watching Eli put Becca in her place over the abortion rumour the other week. Silly little girl.

Tammy reminds me of I can't remember her name now, in ER, a girlfriend of Dr Green, before he got together with Elizabeth, girly and needy in the same sort of way, I remember him taking her back to his parents (with Dr Ross) for a funeral I think and she was cringey.

BitOfFunnyBunny Wed 13-Apr-11 22:16:45

The guy who plays Blake is more wooden than a Swedish sauna.

PfftTheMagicDragon Wed 13-Apr-11 22:41:36

GAH Blake is fucking awful, isn't he? There have been a few bad characters this season, I think. Badly thought out, and badly acted - Blake, Bond, Tammy (gak - Reaser just turns my stomach).

Bue Thu 14-Apr-11 10:46:16

Pfft you might be right about Alicia and Will. I'm surprised at how much I enjoy the will they, won't they storyline. Usually I'd be incredibly impatient for them to get together, but the drawn-out nature of it actually works here.

Bond is a poor character. Not to mention WAY too young to be this high up in a law firm. It bothers me to no end.

BitofFunny ROFL!

northender Thu 14-Apr-11 16:58:17

I could've started this thread! I've watched every episode and the Kalinda Blake thing has puzzled me but last week took it to a new level. I began to think I must be losing the plot as I couldn't hear the mumbled conversation at the end and felt quite clueless at the end. So thank you OP this thread has helped, tonight I may try subtitles grin. In our house dh knows on a Thursday 9-10 he is only allowed to speak to me when the ad breaks are on !

ClancyCrew Thu 14-Apr-11 17:03:33

i think the intrigue in the firm AND the cating of michael J fox as repeat guest star have been inspired.

brilliant to have a "flawed" disabled person being MEAN
i love it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now