Talk

Advanced search

boycotting the EE episode next tuesday

(99 Posts)
OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:08:52

there was talk on the original thread of staging a boycott of eastenders next tuesday for the funeral. the thinking was that a well organised, publicised boycott would show EE how far of the mark the baby swap storyline is/was. if they wont listen to complaints from the people who pay for the bbc, maybe they will listen to a ratings drop.

Sirzy Tue 04-Jan-11 20:11:21

As much as I think the storyline is awful unless you can get millions of people to turn off I can't see it having much effect on them.

Ellielou02 Tue 04-Jan-11 20:11:35

Count me in I caught ten minutes of it tonight and felt sick when I saw kat and Alfie and Charlie

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:12:08

sorry, posted before i added, that this is a sort of sign up.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:13:23

ok, then i will post on my FB asking everyone to boycott and copy and paste. Im sure given the level of outrage and upset we could reach over a million.

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Tue 04-Jan-11 20:18:39

count me in - not watching anymore can't take it. Facebook campaign, let papers know.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:21:31

so:
lissielou
Ellielou02
whoknowswhatthefutureholds

Ive put as my status:is boycotting next tuesdays Eastenders, please do the same and C&P this status (as much as I hate the C&P thing) I am NOT upset about the SIDS storyline, but EE have gone a step too far and refuse to listen complaints, maybe they will take notice of ratings!

SkipToTheEnd Tue 04-Jan-11 20:23:32

Count me in.

This whole thing is just too OTT in the name of ratings

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 20:25:23

lissie, you could also start up a page on facebook to raise awareness and for people to link to, explaining why you're doing it? it's easy to do

i don't have tv, so haven't seen it, but have got the gist from here and from friends talking about it. sounds really vile

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 20:25:47

if you do a page, then link it here and i'll link it from my FB!

zandy Tue 04-Jan-11 20:27:36

Is it more over the top than planes crashing into villages? hurricanes? bombs in hospitals? gas explosions and tram crashes killing people?

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Tue 04-Jan-11 20:29:33

zandy read the other thread.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:43:44

ive started an event and asked people to pass it on

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 20:47:15

cool, can you link to it at all here?

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 20:55:39

dont know if this will work

thisisyesterday Tue 04-Jan-11 20:59:48

yep

DanceInTheDark Tue 04-Jan-11 21:00:21

Joined Lissie - and also requested you - we have 6 mutual friends - forgot to tell you my old MN name though so will msg u in a bit!

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 04-Jan-11 21:02:14

I also want MN to talk the other thread off discussions of the day

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 21:23:07

dance in, no request yet... what are your initials?

wannaBe Tue 04-Jan-11 21:24:10

I don't watch it (even though the boycott was my idea, grin) but:

In order for the boycott to be effective you need as many people to do so as possible <realises that is obvious but ykwim> so you need to publicise this as much as possible. so -

See if mn will put it on the front page.

Ask mn hq to include either a link to this thread or the facebook page in the mn news email that goes out later in the week.

Ask mnhq to send out a link to this thread and/or a link to the fb page via twitter on a daily basis.

Email a link to the above to:

All the newspapers and news outlets you can find contact details for.

The radio times.

The sunday papers (most do tv supplements)

Find out who the body is that calculates the ratings, a boycott to reduce the ratings can only be seen to be effective if it can be proved that the ratings have reduced.

If on twitter send a link to the page to as many prominent people as you can find on there (lorraine kelly/philip schofield/looseWomen/itvthismorning/any journalists/tv writers you can find and ask them to retweet - they all have massive following and you can reach a signifficant amount of people in a short space of time.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 21:30:01

thank you wannabe. am not on twitter (dont know how to use it) so if someone who is could do that I'd really appreciate it. I will email newspapers etc, hopefully there will be a few. how do I find out who calculates ratings?

4andnotout Tue 04-Jan-11 21:31:50

I've joined the FB group and invited my friends list.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 21:34:51

lissielou
Ellielou02
skiptotheend
DanceInTheDark
4andnotout

deemented Tue 04-Jan-11 21:35:42

I've joined the FB group too, and am going to post on the boards that i frequent.

OracleInaCoracle Tue 04-Jan-11 21:39:55

lissielou
Ellielou02
skiptotheend
DanceInTheDark
4andnotout
deemented

thank you dee. can anyone else link on any other boards, SN sites as well please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now