Talk

Advanced search

Love Actually....awww

(23 Posts)
LittlePushka Fri 31-Dec-10 01:30:10

just watched this for the umpteenth time...no other film has it all like this one! Cry with laughter, cry with joy, cry with the devastating pathos, great music, Christmas feelgood movie. Loved it!

Can't think of any other film that does all the business. Topgrin

Northernlebkuchen Fri 31-Dec-10 01:35:41

Feelgood? Really?

What with the betrayal, unrequited love (x2), grief, sickening sentimentality and Martine Mcutcheon - 'feelgood' isn't exactly what comes to mind!

LittlePushka Fri 31-Dec-10 01:41:38

I think so! It runs the whole emotion spectrum. i also think martine mcCutcheon is a stunner and sings like an angel. So there....!

If Hugh grant's dance to the Pointer Sisters' Jump did not make you laugh out loud then,..er,..watch it again with a gin wink

FoJo Fri 31-Dec-10 06:08:51

I agree with LittlePushka fab film. I allowed very sensible dd aged 12 to watch it and we fast forwarded thru the 'body double' bits and she loved it as well. I also let her watch Bridget Jones and she wonders if there are any films that dont star Colin Firth & Hugh Grant!!

whatkungfuthat Fri 31-Dec-10 11:26:04

I love it too, the Emma Thompson bit breaks my heart every time though sad

LittlePushka Fri 31-Dec-10 22:01:32

Doesn't she just Whatkungfuthat!! ...I think her acting gets better every time I watch it - and the tragedy that you see happening before she does...SO sad. The scene with the Christmas gift is one of my all time acting masterclass favourites.

But so many lovely little bits that make you smile inside!grin

RubberDuck Fri 31-Dec-10 22:15:58

It's the proposal in the restaurant that makes me well up every time. I love the bad language translation and the big crowd of people and the awkwardness. It's just wonderful

MrsColumbo Fri 31-Dec-10 22:22:28

I have to fast forward through the bit where Laura Linney passes up the chance to shag gorgeous Carl to go to her brother - that's the heartbreaking bit. As well as the bit where Emma T has a cry then jollies everyone along.
Love the Chinese whispers on the way to the restaurant where Colin Firth proposes - "He's going to sell her!" "He's going to kill her!" And she learned English 'just in cases'smile

juneybean Fri 31-Dec-10 22:28:28

I watched it twice this week, it's so heartwarming <sob>

LittlePushka Fri 31-Dec-10 22:39:49

Must buy the DVD - just the job for a cuddly night in with ones self grin

bruffin Sat 01-Jan-11 02:26:06

It's the one film I can watch over and over again, love it.

juneybean Sun 02-Jan-11 22:05:52

It's just starting on ITV2 grin

BootyMum Mon 03-Jan-11 14:46:07

My goodness, this film is the worst I have ever ever seen. I was actually cringing as I re-watched it [was just wondering if I had missed something as so many people seem to like/love it shock]
The scenarios are superficial and ludicrous in the main. I mean the couple that cannot speak each other's language but somehow manage to fall in love and ultimately end up engaged? WTF?
Or the bloke who decides to tell his best friend's wife [the hideously gurning KK] that he is in love with her behind her husband's back?
Or the ridiculous odd looking 11 year old who speaks like an elderly Tory and decides he is "prepared to suffer for love"? And the bizarre and inappropriate advice from his father which includes advising the child to side step airport security [which would probably get him shot or at least rugby tackled to the ground in real life].
And Hugh Grant as PM falling in love [in about 5 minutes] with his tea lady. And being exposed at the school nativity play [vomit]
I could forgive the ludicrousness of the situations if they were remotely amusing or heartwarming but I just found them emotionally manipulative and insulting to the intelligence of the audience.
And don't even get me started on that ridiculous character who goes to America and comes back with Charlie Sheen's ex...

Bah humbug!

notcitrus Mon 03-Jan-11 15:41:29

I rather liked it despite the schmaltz and implausibility.
Actually my fave moment happened because I was seeing it in Wandsworth, so when the PM goes 'Take me to Wandsworth...the dodgy end!' and emerges in a nice terraced street, 500 people shouted in unison: "That's not the dodgy end!"

Lilymaid Mon 03-Jan-11 15:46:02

I couldn't watch it again after seeing Liam Neeson as the bereaved husband and father ...

BootyMum Mon 03-Jan-11 15:48:07

Oh yes, I also thought that! And when the PM went to the front door and that little girl answered in the most poshest accent grin

I guess this street constitutes "dodgy" in Richard Curtis's world, ie not Notting Hill.

PaisleyLeaf Mon 03-Jan-11 15:50:58

I feel much the same way as BootyMum about it.
It's pretty long and nothing actually gets going. It's like they all get about 3 scenes - not enough to develop anything so it just stays shallow.

DecorhatetheChristmasTree Mon 03-Jan-11 15:52:46

Did you all spot Betty from Mad Men?

wintera Mon 03-Jan-11 16:06:57

BootyMum - I agree with you mostly. It's the worst kind of schmaltz you are absolutely right. But, there are a few scenes that I think are fabulous, even though on the whole I think it's crap.

As others have mentioned, the scene with Emma Thompson is the standout definitely. It's like an acting masterclass! I also love the scene with Rowan Atkinson as the gift wrapper in the department store too. Bill Nighy also has some funny scenes. But yeah, other than that, it's crap!

kerstina Mon 03-Jan-11 18:28:22

If i put my film critic hat on then sure its not the best film in the world but if you take it at face value as a christmasy feel good film there is no other film to compare.
I went to the cinema to watch it when it first came out and loved it ! Watched it again last night and it still makes me laugh.
Bootymum you are far to cynicalsmile

BootyMum Mon 03-Jan-11 19:44:55

Oh no, I'm not cynical at all. I really love Notting Hill for example, which also is a very fluffy movie which people either love or hate... But at least it had some character development and the story made some sense, even if extremely implausable grin

BootyMum Mon 03-Jan-11 19:47:53

Oh, and I am also someone who expected to loathe Twilight but my inner 13 yr old actually quite enjoyed it blush

Summerbird73 Tue 04-Jan-11 12:57:47

oh i love it, i cannot listen to Joni Mitchell now without thinking of Emma Thompson - agree her acting was heartbreaking.

But i agree re the Liam Neeson bereavement, it seems to real now sad

it is utter tosh but a brilliant DVD to have in my collection for a night when DH is out and i have a bottle of wine and a pizza handy! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now