Talk

Advanced search

Whistle and I'll come to you.

(24 Posts)
Ormirian Wed 29-Dec-10 18:48:21

Just watching this on IPlayer - paused it because I don't think I can watch the rest. I read the original story years ago and I forgot it frightened the crap out of me...

Anyone else watch it?

southeastastra Wed 29-Dec-10 18:56:56

it is frightening so far? read some mixed reviews on here and haven't watched yet

Ormirian Wed 29-Dec-10 19:06:45

Well I'm freaked out. But that might be because I keep remembering bit of the story. I love MR James.

whatkungfuthat Wed 29-Dec-10 21:24:30

I just watched this and loved it, but I haven't seen the original or read the story. Just not sure what to make of the ending confused

HaveToWearHeels Wed 29-Dec-10 21:27:23

Can someone explain it to me please ? Watched it on Sky plus last night with DP, he shit himself as he doesn't do "scary" I was laughing saying, there was no way I would have stayed another night in that hotel especially with that ring. But the end...I just didn't get it !

ItsKurriiiistmas Wed 29-Dec-10 23:34:23

It was atmospheric but made no sense whatsoever. And it bore little resemblance to the original story - which is much scarier IMO.

DesperateHousewifeIsXmasCrazy Thu 30-Dec-10 09:42:56

I agree, some bits were scary but I didnt really understand the ending, I thought maybe the wife was trying to tell him its still her and shes still inside that body even though she has dementia.
Not sure why he died though.

CybilScissorhands Thu 30-Dec-10 10:15:00

Yes I watched it Orm...in my bedroom, in the dark

The door banging frightened the life out of me

I think it was his mind playing tricks on him when her 'ghost' appeared, and he died of fright, non?

Whne her fingers appeared under the door though...<shudder>

whatkungfuthat Thu 30-Dec-10 10:16:13

I've read various explanations on other boards, none of which make sense! One suggested that she scared him to death then, restored, got up and walked out of the nursing home. I loved the way it was shot, but found both the nurse and the hotel woman creepy. Also not sure whether the little boy in the chair on the beach and the hotel woman's kid having flu are connected, oh and the bust in the room confused

DylthanThroughTheSnow Thu 30-Dec-10 10:24:39

Yes the hands coming under the door truly terrifying.

But I also didn't get the ending I wish I did. Does the books ending make more sense?

KayHarker Thu 30-Dec-10 10:25:47

A masterclass in atmosphere over substance. And all the better for it - left me feeling unnerved and and skittish. All the component elements added up to a spooky whole. In the original story it's no clearer what really happened (though the original story is quite different).

CybilScissorhands Thu 30-Dec-10 10:26:33

The origianl was TERRIFYING when Michael whats his name was in bed and the sheet started flapping next to him

GAH

KayHarker Thu 30-Dec-10 10:26:44

Oh, and every evening since I've been making dh jump by saying 'I'm still here' :evil:

CybilScissorhands Thu 30-Dec-10 10:27:50

Yes I acted out the door banging scene to dd while she sat up terrified in bed

She is 15 before anyone thinks hmm

southeastastra Thu 30-Dec-10 10:29:39

i liked the original 'sheet' on the beach scene too. still haven't got round to watching this may do this afternoon

mistressploppy Thu 30-Dec-10 10:32:28

I saw this, it was great I thought, then my mum said how much better the original story so I am off to find a copy

Ormirian Thu 30-Dec-10 10:38:16

I must find a copy of the original as well. I can only remember lots of stuff with sheets and finding it much more unpleasant than just frightening. I didn't understand entirely either but I don't think that detracts.

MR James...alone? In the dark? Are you quite mad cybil? grin

The most horrible story of his IMO is the one with picture of the house. The picture alters slowly with a sinister dark figure moving across it towards the house and then......mwah mwah mwahahahah!

mistressploppy Thu 30-Dec-10 10:39:52

shockshockshockshock

<falls over clutching chest>

grin

Pancakeflipper Thu 30-Dec-10 10:40:27

My DP watched it with me and said "that's was great but I am more confused than before".

We wondered if their perfect marriage had some unmentioned pain - like the loss of children. And she had to be with him to a) cause hurt cos' of the pain she'd suffered or b) she had to be with him cos' of love.

Was wonderfully scary.

CybilScissorhands Thu 30-Dec-10 10:42:14

I've just watched the scary bits from the original on You tube

mistressploppy Thu 30-Dec-10 10:42:55

Right, I've just ordered a copy of the collected ghostie stories of MR James. Maybe I'll order a study guide too....

KayHarker Thu 30-Dec-10 10:49:04

My favourite is Number 13. And yes, I read them on my own in the bedroom with just a sidelight on. Made of stern stuff, me.

Ormirian Thu 30-Dec-10 10:53:50

Here you are

The Mezzotint is the one I was talking about

Ormirian Thu 30-Dec-10 13:03:38

Just read 'Whistle and I'll come to you my lad' which is, as I remembered, a lot more obviously scary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now