Talk

Advanced search

Whistle and I'll Come To You

(13 Posts)
LetThereBeRock Fri 24-Dec-10 21:06:56

Is anyone else watching this? I love ghost stories at Christmas,and particuarly M.R James.

4andnotout Fri 24-Dec-10 21:08:33

Me! Have been looking forward to it for ages.

LetThereBeRock Fri 24-Dec-10 21:15:05

I didn't know that it was going to be shown, so it's a very pleasant surprise.

I hope there'll be others. I'd love to see Number 13 done again, and The Mezzotint.

southeastastra Fri 24-Dec-10 21:24:38

love the older version so much but will watch this again after christmas.

LetThereBeRock Fri 24-Dec-10 21:37:40

I'd love to see a new version of A Warning To The Curious too.
Much as I love the 1972 version I think we need a remake.

purepurple Sat 25-Dec-10 07:47:30

I watched this, thought it was very atmospheric but when it finished I was left thinking eh?
Maybe it was the wine but could someone please explain the endig to me.

LetThereBeRock Sat 25-Dec-10 11:59:32

I didn't get it either.

I must admit I was disappointed. It seemed to have little in common with the M.R James story.

To be fair I was up and down with the dog,who wanted in and out constantly,so I didn't get to see quite all of it,but even so I thought it was a letdown,and very confusing.

domesticslattern Sat 25-Dec-10 12:01:41

I thought it was great until the end.

pawsnclaws Sat 25-Dec-10 12:23:50

I liked it, thought it was very atmospheric - especially having a cast of only 4 or 5. I think the ending suggested he had imagined it all due to some kind of guilt thing about his wife. Preferred the old version with I think Michael Hordern (sp) and the whistle?

We watched A Warning To The Curious the other night on DVD, super creepy - what you don't see rather than what you do.

LetThereBeRock Sat 25-Dec-10 12:29:54

A Warning To The Curious is excellent I agree. One of my favourite M R James stories. I'll have to watch it again.

IngridFletcher Sun 26-Dec-10 23:16:30

It freaked me out a bit. I assumed it was what was left of his wife's locked in personality which wanted him dead so they could be together.

DelFuller Wed 15-Jun-11 11:55:05

Agree with most of the comments here. The John Hurt re-make, fine actor though he is, did not capture the feel of the M. R. James original story. For one thing, I feel the modern setting does not work as well. The ending suggests there is no actual ghost involved at all; merely the subconscience of Hurt's sick wife, unable to communicate verbally and therefore reaching out to her husband in a final bid to be with him. Or is it all in his mind? Whatever the interpretaion, they both seem to end up dead and so are reunited in a sense. There seems to be little of M. R. James here. The Michael Hordern 1968 version is by far the superior of the two.

milnercaroline Fri 15-Jul-11 17:14:46

I saw a theatre version of this in Guildford which was pretty good. But I agree with the above comment that nothing will beat the 1968 Michael Horndern version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now