Talk

Advanced search

Sports Personality of the Year.

(42 Posts)
We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 19:34:34

i love thisblush usually makes me cry.
Doubt the England footy team will win the team awardgrin
But WHY are Posh, Becks and sons sat on the front row? She is such a miserable looking woman!!
But the good thing is every time the camera goes to them, Michael Johnson is sat next to them- and he is gorgeous.blush

Megletitsnow Sun 19-Dec-10 19:35:44

I don't want David Hayes to win after his nasty gang rape comment.

Not sure who I want to win actually confused.

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 19:37:27

Me neither , this year. Usually there is an obvious front runner.

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 19:39:31

And David Hayes isn't actually there tonight...he is ill...apparentlyhmm

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 19:46:00

Well, unlikely to be Daley- he got young personality. Again.

queribus Sun 19-Dec-10 19:53:12

Mark Cavendish. I could go on and on and on and on etc ... so I won't. But he should win. He's fab.

grin

AliBellandthe40jingles Sun 19-Dec-10 19:56:12

I think Becks is getting a lifetime award, hence the whole family being there.

There is a bloke sat in the front who I am sure is Brian from last year's Strictly - what on earth is he doing there??

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 19:58:50

I suppose Becks is a good ambassador for the sport.
Phil Taylor- is darts a sport? Discuss.

Maybe it would be more active if the oche(sp?) was a treadmill?grin

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 20:01:24

Mark Cavendish is the cyclist? i saw him on something- he really is an amazing talent.

queribus Sun 19-Dec-10 20:08:45

Cav is indeed a cyclist - a phenomenal talent and actually wins stuff. He will be one of the greatest cyclists ever!

Darts, a sport!?! No.

Golf - ditto. It's a pastime. Sport involves raising your heartrate and doing a bit more than having a nice walk. Granted, it's a handy skill for middle-aged chaps in the 'corporate' world, but not a sport.

I suspect Cav won't win so I'd like to see Jessica Ennis win, but I guess it will go to a cricketer or golfer

<yawn>

MissAnthropy Sun 19-Dec-10 20:11:28

Cav is fabulous. We're massive Cav fans here.

Darts is wonderful.

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 20:17:45

mmm Michael Johnson....

CaveMum Sun 19-Dec-10 20:23:45

Tony McCoy will win SPOTY. There has been a massive campaign in the racing world for the last few weeks to get people to vote for him.

The man is a legend - Riding for 16 years: champion apprentice in the first year and champion jockey every year since.

Ridden over 3,000 winners - smashing a 55yr record

Broken every major bone in his body - including his back

I'd recommend that you all read this article about him.

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 20:31:40

CaveMum- what a great article. i love reading about sportsmen that I know little about. Very brave man to carry on with so many injuries!

gailforce1 Sun 19-Dec-10 20:31:46

McCoy is a legend - he risks his neck daily and has a diet that most sportsmen could not get out of bed on!

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 20:42:31

David Beckham has a lot of middle names - Dh says it is in case he forgets his first!

Oblomov Sun 19-Dec-10 20:45:57

Agree with all previous posts.
I keep asking dh why they keep refering to Tony McCoy as A P McCoy. Dh says everyone knows him as Tony McCoy, thus he must have asked for it ot be that way. Seems odd, no ?

CaveMum Sun 19-Dec-10 20:47:47

I once heard a racing commentator say "Men like AP McCoy are not born: they are quarried"

You could not find a better sportsman as a role model for kids: dedicated, humble and completely teetotal!

When he broke his back in a fall about 2 years ago he was back raceriding in 6 weeks! 6 weeks for crying out loud! Most footballers would take longer off for a broken finger!

northender Sun 19-Dec-10 20:50:54

Anyone had problems voting? We've not been able to vote for any of our choices sad

AliceWorld Sun 19-Dec-10 20:50:55

Another one for Cav. He is absolutely amazing. I've been watching cycling for a while and to win so convincingly, so often, is fantastic.

And with you on the games rather than sports.

indiechick Sun 19-Dec-10 20:52:33

Oh isn't David Beckham lovely? Made me cry.

CaveMum Sun 19-Dec-10 20:52:38

Oblomov, his name is Anthony Peter McCoy but within racing he is often just referred to as AP.

BaroqinAroundTheChristmasTree Sun 19-Dec-10 20:52:59

awww - that was quite sweet - just switched on to see Beckham doing his speech for the life time achievement award - dedicating it to the British Troops smile

domeafavour Sun 19-Dec-10 20:54:22

Crying at DB too!

We3kingsoforientRaahh Sun 19-Dec-10 20:55:29

Can't stand Katherine Jenkins- love this song though. So many of the those who have died were very young, really.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now