Talk

Advanced search

Why make a programme called "Fry and Laurie Reunited"...

(14 Posts)
ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Wed 24-Nov-10 22:49:45

...and then spend half the programme interviewing them separately?

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 25-Nov-10 12:12:43

I thought that - I gave up after about 40 minutes. They kept showing really short clips of them together as though they were going to show more of that later but never did (although they may well have done after I gave up and went to bed!)

Goingspare Thu 25-Nov-10 12:25:04

Probably because they live on different continents. I missed it - not worth trying to catch a repeat then?

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Thu 25-Nov-10 12:44:10

But the whole idea of the programme was that they'd got them together in the same room for a day.

They did show some more of them together later on but most of the programme was a rehash of "before they met" and "what they did next" and talking heads (Emma Thompson, Paul Whitehouse and Charlie Higson, even Daniel Radcliffe FFS) wittering on (much of that even cribbed from previous programmes).

They were still sparking off each other wonderfully in the bits we were allowed to see of them together now, and there were some great A Bit Of Fry And Laurie clips, but I was left feeling as though someone had accidentally deleted 95% of the "reunion" footage by pressing the wrong button and the producers had desperately padded the remainder out with other material and hoped no one would notice.

Most shocking revelation is that Hugh Laurie is clearly balding fairly noticeably when viewed from behind. They cover that up pretty well on House (DH, with the smugness of someone with an excellent family history of hanging on to all one's hair into one's 90s, suggested that's the real reason for all the low tracking shots in front of him down corridors...)

Very disappointing. If there's a repeat on and you've nothing better to do it's OK, but I wouldn't seek it out.

bran Thu 25-Nov-10 12:49:28

I only caught the second half of it and I quite enjoyed it. I agree that there was no need for the talking heads bit at all. There definitely could have been a lot more of just the two of them together. Some of the clips of old sketches were hilarious though, I hadn't seen some of them before.

I thought it was lovely that they clearly still find each other hugely funny.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Thu 25-Nov-10 12:52:42

Actually, yes, it would probably be massively improved by skipping the first half of it, so I amend my advice -- do seek out a repeat, but then only turn it on half way through.

Goingspare Thu 25-Nov-10 13:15:13

That's handy, I usually forget to turn on until half-way through anyway. smile

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Nov-10 13:16:54

he's been bald like that since wooster. i suspect a hairpiece on house, tbh.

i gave up watching half way, what happened in the second half that was better? i thought it was absolute keech.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Thu 25-Nov-10 13:23:12

They had more of them now talking together, which is what it had been advertised as and what I'd tuned in for. And it was warm and funny and... well... nice. I may have been overvaluing it in sheer relief at something that wasn't an old clip or a new clip of a completely different person, mind you.

AitchTwoOh Thu 25-Nov-10 13:24:27

i switched off at daniel radcliffe. he wasn't even BORN.

BellaBearisWideAwake Thu 25-Nov-10 13:26:44

the reviews were all saying it's the first time they've been on telly together for 15 years, but I distinctly remember Laurie being on an episode of QI (the first I think) (and incidentally not looking like he was enjoying it AT ALL) and it couldn't have been THAT long ago that they started QI

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Thu 25-Nov-10 13:27:26

I assumed he was an old clip from that "Stephen Fry is absolutely marvellous" documentary they had on last year (or was it the year before?). Very bizarre choice, anyway.

ProfessorLaytonIsMyLoveSlave Thu 25-Nov-10 13:29:59

Yes, Laurie definitely on opening episode of QI, which was 2003.

iwouldgoouttonight Thu 25-Nov-10 14:44:24

Maybe I should have stayed up and watched it to the end if it improved!

I've just finished reading Stephen Fry's autobiography and most of what they talked about in the first half was exactly the same as what he says in the book (how they met, Cambridge footlights days, etc - even all the still photos they showed are in his book) so I felt I wasn't finding out anything new.

Enjoyed seeing Emma Thompson talking about them though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: