Talk

Advanced search

The Secret Millionaire

(28 Posts)
gregssausageroll Fri 19-Nov-10 09:39:20

I used to love this show. Probably the first 2 series were pretty good. Does anyone feel that the recipients of the cash must know or have an idea that the person who turns up with a camera crewe is a SM?

I also don't get how people openly tell the SM about their charities finances within a day or so of meeting them.

saorachd Fri 19-Nov-10 13:44:18

Was it the one filmed in Govan?

I was shocked at how the hell the Scottish Government have let an area become so deprived and run down to the point that the life expectancy is lower than those in war zones - 54 for a man.

I felt that the millionaire could barely hide his disgust and he was pretty mean about the lady who set him up with things for his flat (she was 'in his face').

gregssausageroll Fri 19-Nov-10 16:32:23

Yes, it was last night's that made me post. I didn't take to him at all. I felt he was very patronising.

Govan has been like that for years. The area is dreadful and I just felt for those young boys who were doing the rapping to the music the DJ guy put on. They don't stand a chance do they?

celticlassie Fri 19-Nov-10 18:22:24

I remember before the BBC moved to Govan there was a lot of talk about how that would regenerate the area but no evidence of that so far. Think numbers in the secondary school are now tiny.

weepootle Fri 19-Nov-10 18:33:08

It's the first one I haven't shed a tear at.

I found him very cold, he spent the whole of his first day making himself more comfortable- I've never seen any other do this and some have been in far worse accommodation.

He also didn't bother to go looking for charities like they usually do - he only bothered with the ones who landed in his lap - the one who gave him his quilt and the DJ who asked for him to come and visit.

It's my home town and a tough place to live.

saorachd Fri 19-Nov-10 18:35:36

Oh, those poor wee laddies. sad
I cried a bit at Sunny Govan Radio and how they managed to inject some cheer into really grim surroundings.

It is shocking that there are third world issues regarding health, diet, bad housing, etc in the centre of one of the largest cities in the UK.

I thought the millionaire was a sneering arse who completely lacked humility and who could not wait to lob a cheque and get the hell out of there.

grapeandlemon Fri 19-Nov-10 18:37:11

There was something about that guy I really didn't like.

When the housing people said his flat was a palace compared to some he didn't even flinch. It was just moan, moan "this place is a dump", "I need some shaving utensils", "oh I have the perfect, beautiful wife, but I was from the right side of town..blah blah"..he was just awful.

kittya Fri 19-Nov-10 20:50:54

I havent seen it yet.

I dont like how they dont follow it up at the end anymore, remember they used to go back and say, "six months later" they dont do that anymore.

Of course the people know. Its been going on too long now.

Have you noticed they dont give as much money either?

saorachd Fri 19-Nov-10 21:49:12

He was very specific on how they spend the money - "This £15,000 is to buy x amount of duvets, this is to buy a new minibus".

Surely it is up to the individual charity to decide what they want to do with the money? It was very patronising.

And, yes, it seemed a disappointingly small amount given his vast fortune.

kittya Fri 19-Nov-10 21:59:28

the more they have the tighter they seem to be.

CaptainKirksNipples Fri 19-Nov-10 22:01:31

First one I haven't cried at aswell. He gave away relatively small sums of money to the first 3 charities he stumbled across. I reckon they all knew what the show was before he said, but I don't think the other ones do. I liked the guy from 2 weeks ago who gave a volunteer money for a holiday for himself.

I loved the guy that gave him directions at the start!

kittya Fri 19-Nov-10 22:07:19

I loved the one last week who gave the homeless man a camper van.

saorachd Fri 19-Nov-10 22:57:38

Was the Directions guy real?

He just came out with Luath Street was a shithole then started on some really heavy statistics - worst knife crime and everything. Jeez, welcome to Govan.

Who is the MP/ MSP for the area? They ought to be sacked.

Adversecamber Sat 20-Nov-10 18:15:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

expatinscotland Sat 20-Nov-10 18:31:41

He struck me as someone who doesn't really like being Scottish, for some reason.

I don't know Glasgow well, as am foreign and my husband is from Leith, but it's a place we are getting to know, as it's our closest city, and this chap seemed very cold.

saorachd Sun 21-Nov-10 12:22:26

Yes he was cold.

When the Sunny Govan radio chap was speaking to him he kept saying 'nuh hu' as if he was not listening and he kept looking at the ground.

Now perhaps I'm being cynical but it did cross my mind that it was a good PR for him.

The only part of Glasgow that I have been to is Govan and was confused as all the shops seemed closed due to the metal shutters and reinforced doors. There were stacks of rubbish everywhere and lots of people just standing. It was so sad and such a depressing place but anyone that I spoke to seemed really friendly and helpful.
Nicola Sturgeon is the MSP (I think). Pull your socks up, Nicola.

expatinscotland Sun 21-Nov-10 17:17:16

He just seemed to be looking down on everyone. 'Well, I live in South East England.' Yeah? Whoopty shit.

And he was cheap.

I wasn't impressed.

The start pack lady, the radio guy, the Gagael (sic) man, they were all way, way, way bigger people than he's got a hope of being, because he doesn't want to. It might involve associating with peasants.

grapeandlemon Sun 21-Nov-10 17:19:57

Yes, they were being so kind to him throughout and he looked so smug when he was announcing his millionaire status and handing them what someone like him probably leaves for a tip.

Like he wanted them to fall at his feet for doing so well - and he hadn't even been to that part of town hmm

expatinscotland Sun 21-Nov-10 17:28:53

The lady who ran the starter pack then, how was she supposed to be, seeing as he thought her 'in my face'? She's running a charity that is probably incredibly in demand. She doesn't have time to stroke peoples' egos. There she was, moving furniture into peoples' homes, washing and sorting things.

Right when he came in and explained he was in homeless accommodation, she dropped everything to get him stuff, and from what her volunteers said, she did that for them, too, without the cameras around.

She struck me as someone who was strong, that's what people need when they are homeless and alone.

Gageal came to our local summer fair. There's a lady there who spent over half an hour with my dyspraxic DD1 helping her to spin wool to yarn and how to wind the yarn into a skein. DD1 was telling her, 'Sorry, I've got dyspraxia I'm no' so good with some things like this,' but she was nothing but encouraging and patient. All she asked for was a £1 donation.

As a result, MIL is teaching her to knit, a skill that's really useful and helpful for dyspraxics.

Hopefully she can help Gagael some day.

He didn't seem bothered about how that part of Glasgow got how it was. Or sad, so sad.

Such a strong, proud people, who loved to make things.

Seemed like he couldn't get out of there fast enough.

How pitiful.

I'm so proud of my Scottish husband and children and adopted country.

saorachd Sun 21-Nov-10 18:50:58

They sound amazing, expat and it seems like nothing is too much effort in order to pass on our traditional skills. i loved how each worker gets a special mention plus a tool bag of their own when they are ready to move on. It instills such a sense of pride and achievement which is borne from adversity.

Your daughter will possibly always remember how to spin as they showed her the confidence to do it and that goes such a long way.

I was disappointed that Arsey McMillions did not go to the Govan Law Centre although I saw it when he was walking up one street.
If I had a million, I would give them the lot as they work so hard for the underdog and fight tooth and nail to help them win the most awful cases.

kittya Sun 21-Nov-10 18:56:53

My friend works for them!!smile

expatinscotland Sun 21-Nov-10 19:13:11

Is it 'Tartan Heather', kittya?

She really helped DD1, who is for sure about Scotland in every way. She was so excited when she finally got it! She loves spinning wheels. She is 7, and she has only limited reading now as she is also dyslexic (she is only in P2 as she was retained at stage before going into school due to her differing abilities). Strangely, too, she can actually cast on where I cannot, and me with a first in a degree. She can knit, and this weekend when MIL is through she will show her to purl. MIL has given her some needles and yarn to play with.

But it was really Tartan Heather who sat with her and gave her the feel of the wool.

We are in the Highlands and sheep abound. She knows already several breeds of sheep just by the sight.

AgentProvocateur Sun 21-Nov-10 19:16:36

I'd also give to Govan Law Centre - they do great work for parents of children with ASN.

The SM is a friend of a friend, and according to her is a lovely person. He went to Kelvinside Academy, so it's not like he was born and brought up in Govan. He maybe came across as cold and awkward because he was so far out his comfort zone.

I don't watch the programme but is it not usually the case that they go back to where they came from to spread their dosh?

expatinscotland Sun 21-Nov-10 19:28:24

I guess I've been out of my comfort zone so long it no longer phases me. wink

I was privately-educated, born to what would be considered here great privilege.

But my parents are devout Catholics, and my father was born to very poor immigrants, although his father was born very wealthy and educated in Spanish boarding schools, being the son of wealthy colonialists.

He married a Mayan Indian woman who knew starvation more than once.

I'm being hard on him, probably, and unkind. I don't know him but from the show, which was probably edited.

He just didn't seem very gracious. Grace is a gift we all have only to ask for for it to be given.

AgentProvocateur Sun 21-Nov-10 22:43:20

I'm in two minds about SM, which is why I don't really watch it.

I work for a charity, and in the past have worked for a much smaller charity that folded due to lack of funds, but I feel very uneasy about the whole public bountiful benefactor element of SM.

On one hand, I can see that it gives much needed funds to charities, and also highlights the good work that a lot of smaller charities do.

On the other hand, I find it slightly obscene that millionnaires are feted for giving away - sometimes - a tiny, tiny proportion of their wealth, by parachuting in, staying in the area for a couple of weeks, and then returning to a life of extraordinary privilege.

I'll get skelfs in my arse from sitting on the fence. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now