Britain's Youngest Boarder

(194 Posts)
littledawley Wed 22-Sep-10 21:48:24

Anyone watching?

colapips Wed 22-Sep-10 21:49:23

I am - what's your opinion?

I find it fascinating.

maxpower Wed 22-Sep-10 21:49:28

yes - personally I don't know how the mums could send their children away so young, but I appreciate everyone has their own approach...

HaveToWearHeels Wed 22-Sep-10 21:50:06

Yeap, bloody heart breaking, I just wanted to cuddle that little lad that was sobbing. I think it suits some kids and not others.

popcracker Wed 22-Sep-10 21:50:36

I just started a thread.

Unreal.

8 years old and going to Boarding School?

OMG.

nikkershaw Wed 22-Sep-10 21:51:31

they are super clever! my ds(9) has nothing in common with them

suppose it's a fantastic opportunity - some of the older boys seem very, um british (old fashioned british) very stuffy

colapips Wed 22-Sep-10 21:52:10

My dd went at 7 her choice, and my ds has already asked to go at 7.

I obviously make home life rough!!!

PanicMode Wed 22-Sep-10 21:52:12

I am flicking between it and Grand Designs....I think (from the little I've seen) that the head seems to be really good at motivating them, they all seem very happy and confident, and although I wouldn't want to send my son away at 7, my parents sent me and my brother away, and I now see how hard it must have been for them to do!!

MollieO Wed 22-Sep-10 21:52:54

I'm watching. I'd happily send ds to boarding school at 6 and then it will be someone else's responsibility to get him to do his homework. grin

I would send him at 8 if he wants to be a chorister (and is accepted). It would be weekly boarding though.

The sobbing boy is a weekly boarder. I can't believe how grown up the Chinese boy is.

popcracker Wed 22-Sep-10 21:53:20

How can you choose to go to boarding school at 7?

What are the fees?

tiredemma Wed 22-Sep-10 21:53:22

Dp and his sister went to Boarding school from a young age (dad in armed forces)

maxpower Wed 22-Sep-10 21:53:28

I think the head seems really committed to the boys and wanting them to maximise their opportunity

littledawley Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:05

Sorry popcracker- I couldn't see a thread on it.

DH had to walk out as it brought back horrible memories sad

HaveToWearHeels Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:16

My grandad was in the forces and my Mum went to boarding school at 14 because she was fed up with having to keep moving. She loved it but then she was 14. I personally couldn't send my DD away at 8, they are little for such a short time.

BellevilleRendezvous Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:22

it seems like a lovely, supportive and warm environment. not for me / my ds (unless he was very keen I suppose!) but those boys are delightful imo - motivated, energetic, keen, polite, supportive of one another. really being able to be boys without having to be macho, pretend that working hard = nerd, being allowed to be good at different stuff. competitive without being nasty.

obv that's just what's on camera but they come across as a genuine bunch.

nikkershaw Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:33

it's quite telling that the boys from shaghai said it was more competitive there. which is worrying in this climate.

guess i know where my sons will be in the pecking order in the future, which is a little depressing. but has always been i suppose..

potoftea Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:33

I feel like such a wimp watching this. I cried my eyes out when my 18 year old left for university last week. Couldn't part with him any younger, thats for sure.

But the boys on this seems lovely. So very clever. And well balanced and mannered. So it wouldn't be for me, but it certainly seems to work for some.

popcracker Wed 22-Sep-10 21:54:59

I agree the head seems a good chap.

He seems very good at Pastoral care.

LynetteScavo Wed 22-Sep-10 21:55:16

DH won't let me watch, as he's watching Grand Designs.

* is too young. Of course it is.

If you don't want to mess your kids up long term, keep them at home untill they re 13.

And then send them to board at 13, before you damage them with your own issues. grin

LynetteScavo Wed 22-Sep-10 21:56:08

Of course the head is good at pastoral care.

would you pay that much money for crap pastoral care? hmm

I can understand if a family is constantly moving, then the consistency and security of a boarding school may be in the best interests of the boarder.

Saying that, they are all still babies!

littledawley Wed 22-Sep-10 21:56:25

I agree that the head seems great- I think the fees are about £19k per year.
Some great boys there but I can't imagine my DS becoming one of them!

MollieO Wed 22-Sep-10 21:56:41

Can't believe he hasn't been offered a place at Harrow.

LynetteScavo Wed 22-Sep-10 21:57:16

What about the consistency and security of a mother?

Boarding prep schools are great places for orphans.

colapips Wed 22-Sep-10 21:57:31

She had seen such programmes, and read stories of boarding school, and said that was something she really wanted to do. We explained that she could go only go if she got a scholarship, she went to see schools, and spent trial days, and sat the scholarship exams.

Partly she was offered scholarships due to her enthusasim in wanting to undertake the schools ethos.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now