Talk

Advanced search

Childcare: What do you do with your teenagers in the school holidays?

(18 Posts)
winnie1 Wed 18-Jun-03 09:33:43

Following on from another thread I just wondered how other people approach the whole issue of 'childcare' for teenagers?

My daughter is almost 14 and quite capable of looking after herself. Holiday schemes in the area simply don't cater for this age group. What do other people do?

alibubbles Wed 18-Jun-03 10:29:14

Hi winnie1, when my two were that age, they used to go on PGL holidays. I was apprehensive about them going abroad, but they went to France and had a fantastic time. They also do hols in England.

PGL are the best in the business, the children had a fantastic time, and my son has been every year for two weeks, choosing to go with PGL rather than us!

They have allsorts to suit, sporty, theatre, language, fun, pony trekking, watersports, popstars, shopping etc. They are well supervised and age groups are controlled so no older boys to corrupt 14 yr old girls! Both DS and DD made lots of friends who they keep in contact with 4 years later and go and stay with, so that is a week accounted for!

I always booked in October for the next summer so got buy one get one free! They do special offers on their website, worth a look. PGL They have save 50% on some at the moment.

winnie1 Wed 18-Jun-03 10:56:33

Wow... Alibubbles, what a fantastic idea. Looks great. TBH we can't afford it this year but I am marking it into my diary to take a look in the Autumn and plan for next year. My daughter would love that. Thanks.

tamum Wed 18-Jun-03 11:33:10

If it helps at all, winnie, when I was a teenager I went to a secondary chool that had much longer holidays than the state schools my parents taught at. From the age of 13 I stayed at home on my own- I interspersed it with days at friends' houses, or helping my mother in her class, but mostly I was at home. I actually think looking back on it that it was a pretty valuable learning experience, simply getting used to being on your own and occupying your time. It sounds a bit sad, but I honestly liked it, even though I loved my family dearly and wasn't really a naturally independent type. What does your daughter think?

tallulah Wed 18-Jun-03 21:06:17

Mine get left to their own devices now. DH here in body if not in spirit (night worker).

Tortington Wed 18-Jun-03 23:21:27

my pensioner mother comes down - so kids kinds do for themselves regards eating and playing out - but i set bounderies of when and where they can go - and what they can and cant do or eat from the cupboards - and my mum is there in case there are any arguments and to make sure they dont set fire to the house - and she administers plsters and wipes away tears and gives them money for puncture kits for their bikes - but she doesnt have to "look after" them really - she is just there incase

on this subject( dont want to crash sorry) briefly can someone in the know tell me uk guidelines/ law for age of babysitters and how young they should be - i thought it was 14 but a friend of mine said 16?

M2T Wed 18-Jun-03 23:23:50

Custardo - I thought it was 16 until I posted on here about my wedding. My brother is 14 and it was suggested that he take ds up to the hotel room at 10pm during the reception and stay with him overnight. That has now been arranged. I think it may have something to with the age of the child they will be babysitting for?? Dunno for sure though.

JanZ Thu 19-Jun-03 11:33:02

M2T - I think in Scotland the law is farly pragmatic and based on "appropriate" care rather than simply age.

There was a good down-to-earth article about this a coupel of years back in the Saturday Herald, with contributions from the Children's Society, lawyers etc. They pointed out some 16 years couldn't be trusted with your granny, whereas some 10 year olds are fine as "latch key" kids.

So your proposed arrangement with your brother should be OK if he's a sensible kid. (now, whether he's happy leaving the festivities at 10 is another matter! )

JanZ Thu 19-Jun-03 12:09:14

I asked Jeeves and found this

So I sppuse IF ANYTHING WERE TO HAPPEN, you would have to argue your case as to why you'd come to the arrangement you did. As I understand it, you'll all the in the same building anyway, so I wouldn't have thought it would a problem - your brother still has access to "adult" support/guidance.

M2T Thu 19-Jun-03 12:11:50

Oh yes Janz - we will be downstairs and he has a mobile phone too.
We will be in the room next door...... which is perhaps not appropriate for our wedding night.

Lindy Thu 19-Jun-03 23:37:52

Winnie1 - do you have any friends with younger children who might like to have your daughter around as a sort of informal 'au pair' (I do NOT mean having sole charge of course). We have quite a few 12/13/14 year olds in our village and they often come and help me out in the holidays - £1 an hour - just playing and being with my DS, obviously I am still in the house but it gives me a bit of a break and the parents of the teenager know that I am around to look after her as well.

oxocube Sun 29-Jun-03 13:10:33

Alibubbles, just wanted to say that after reading your post re PGL holidays, I sent for a brochure and it looks fantastic. I am thinking of sending our son next year for just a weekend at first - he will be almost 9 then. They seem to have a huge range of activities and the 2 or 3 night option sounds like a great way to introduce children gently to being away from home.

alibubbles Sun 29-Jun-03 18:09:03

oxocube, my two first went when they were 10 and had a great time. they went to Boreaton park in Shropshire, and from then on they wanted to go every year. Nobody ever seems to get homesick!

The level of supervision is very good and they do really care about them being happy and safe.
The teachers at school went for a Yr 6 holiday and they said it was brilliant.

I hope your son will enjoy it when the time comes. Now you have a brochure you wil get mailed with the special offers, it is always worth going with a friend the first time unless he has sibling in the same age group.

consultantmom Sat 09-Oct-04 01:07:33

What do you do with teenagers when the mother must travel for her job and she is divorced? I am in the process of getting a divorce and I have twins, age 15, that can't be left alone, have no family or friends who can take care of my children. What is the best solution?

aloha Sat 09-Oct-04 09:23:57

What about their father?

consultantmom Mon 11-Oct-04 19:00:05

The father is moving out of state and really is not helping in the situation at all. He states that he wants "out" and it is up to me to make all the arrangements for the children.

Buki Tue 01-Feb-05 22:26:11

Does anyone know of any sites or can give any ideas as to what to do with 6 young teenagers and 2 toddlers. The activities have got to be done at home. After homework, game consoles, tv, what else can they do? They are lovelly kids who would normally be out doing very sporty things but ive broken my ribs so we are all confined to the house.

milliways Fri 04-Feb-05 16:28:09

We havw had teenagers supervising Toddlers at "cooking"- mainly biscuit making etc. Kitchen was a mess but evertone v.happy for an afternoon then get the eats. Teens have also made treasure hunts for littlies to follow (although littlies are not ours - My teen daughter insists on borrowing them at every opportunity!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now