Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

help needed really quickly dd has just sat the wrong GCSE paper

(84 Posts)
lilibet Thu 16-Jun-05 11:40:56

today is science higher and foundation paper two

dd is doing foundation but for some reaon got it into her head that she was doing higher

they gave her a foundation paper, she told them that she had given her the wrong one and asked for higher

on;y when she talked to her friends after did she realise wha t she had done

I'm going into school at lunch to see if anything can be done - she says that they will not mark the paper as they have no record of her entering for it

She needs science to do the course that she wants to at college

F**K

basketcase Thu 16-Jun-05 11:44:52

OMG - suggest you phone them now and get immediate advice. Make a massive fuss - she was under pressure and got confused, the school should have not just taken her word on it, they should have checked it carefully and insisted it was right - they should acknowledge that (hopefully). I don’t know about resitting the paper today or at another date, they will need to speak to the board and find out how they can help. Good Luck.

debs26 Thu 16-Jun-05 11:56:13

i would ring them asap, the longer she has after the exam, the more they will assume she has talked to her friends. they might let her sit a resit paper instead, would mean waiting a while longer for the result. agree that school should have checked, is not entirely her fault

Gwenick Thu 16-Jun-05 11:59:00

School should definitely have checked she was given the right paper. When I was at school the teachers always 'ticked' next to our names once they'd given us the correct paper.

And when I invigilated for exams in Zim I had to do the same..

Definitely call them ASAP - and hope it gets sorted

Tommy Thu 16-Jun-05 11:59:11

they will mark the paper (at least the board that I mark for would. It is the school's fault - not hers but she won't be able to resit the paper this time - she may have to wait for January (not what you want to hear)
The school Exams Officer will be able to explain - make sure you speak to them - not Head of year or anyone else.

lilibet Thu 16-Jun-05 12:01:26

rang school and have left messages - given up with that now am going to go in all guns blazing!

Gwenick Thu 16-Jun-05 12:02:49

oh and make sure you look after DD - she's probably beside herself and panic stricken (I'm sure you're doing that anyhow but just a reminder as we (parents) tend to flap so much in incidents like this we forget our poor kids sat in the middle - or at least I probably would )

Gobbledigook Thu 16-Jun-05 12:03:35

I'd be very angry if I were you - it shouldn't be up to your dd to tell them what paper to give her. They should be organised enough to know and once your dd queried it they should have double checked - not just given her the paper - give em hell!!

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 12:04:21

DH says that you should phone school and ask to speak to examinations officer and get them to speak to the board

ASAP

And that DD should go into isolation now ie go and sit with teacher

There is NO guatrentee as she will have already spoken to friends

charleepeters Thu 16-Jun-05 12:05:05

can you getto the school to talk to them if there not being helpfull over the phone???

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 12:11:37

DH SAYS THAT YOU SHOULD ASK TO HAVE THE HIGHER PAPER MARKED AND HOPE SHE HAS DONE WELL ENOUGH ON IT

UNDER THE CIRCUMSTANCES THEY MAY BE PREPARED TO MARK IT

IT IS THE EXAMINATION OFFICERS JOB TO TALK TO THE BOARD

lilibet Thu 16-Jun-05 12:24:17

I have spoken to the examining officer and she was lovely

thye will mark the higher paper and there is a chance that she could end up with a better grade

she cannot re sit the papaer as she has had contact with her friends

so it's now a csase of wait and see

tahnak you so much for all you help!

I have been a seriously panicking mum!

and that has obviuosly affected my typing!

RTKangaMummy Thu 16-Jun-05 12:28:36

DH says with foundation paper she can only get C

But with higher paper she can get B or A or A*

I hope I have understood that right {he has gone out now so can't check with him}

He is Head of Chemistry BUT not sure if same papers or exams etc.

GOOD LUCK to your DD

Hopefully she will do well

Please let us know in AUGUST

She must have done well enough otherwise she would have noticed it was too hard for her

NannyL Thu 16-Jun-05 21:25:30

That IS right with foundation paer highest mark = a C

with higher paper you can get only C, B A or A*, anthing less than C = fail...

thats is why its soo imp to do right paper..

i think there is also an intermediate paper with grades on D - B possible (but dont quote me on that, a while since it affected me!)

hence NEED to be in right teir in order to pass well and NOT fail!

NannyL Thu 16-Jun-05 21:27:25

That IS right with foundation paer highest mark = a C

with higher paper you can get only C, B A or A*, anthing less than C = fail...

thats is why its soo imp to do right paper..

i think there is also an intermediate paper with grades on D - B possible (but dont quote me on that, a while since it affected me!)

hence NEED to be in right teir in order to pass well and NOT fail!

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:37:02

Well I've been invigilating this year, lili (govt is paying for laypersons ahem to do it instead of teachers) and the office gives us a list of names for each paper - I've had a couple, eg Maths and Science (and even 3 in Geog) where the majority sit one paper and the rest sit another - they are listed and allocated seats and everything on that basis.

If I had a child say it had the wrong paper I would check with the school exam office before I did anything else (we had that dinned into us at training) so I'm really surprised she was allowed to do it without question.

Having said that I hope she gets a really good grade! (The only diff with the Maths paper was that the higher tier had a couple of extra questions.)

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 21:37:47

£7 50 a n hour here

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 21:38:06

do oyu play the invigialting games janh?
shall I teach you some?

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:39:41

£6.50 here

Was invigilating Maths yesterday with RS teacher helping, he was galloping around the hall to hand out the tracing paper first, was really funny!

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:40:51

4 out of 49 left handed in Business Studies this morning

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:02

2 redheads

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:14

24 male, 25 female

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:19

thats one of them
the gam is that you arent allowed to gallop
you ahevto walk in a serious way
theot her is ne fo you starts at the topright of the room adn on in the middle and the one at hte top right has to chase the one in the middle without looking obvoious
its tag really, going up and down the rows
htere are also prizes for adopting accent s when saying "you may start now"

Janh Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:25

<drums fingers>

aloadoffishyballs Thu 16-Jun-05 21:41:45

janh you coul d do an sudit and present your findings in VEnn diagram form!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now