Talk

Advanced search

beds for teenagers

(24 Posts)
bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 11:54:49

We are thinking about getting DS a loft bed with storage and desk underneath. But will it be a no-no when he's an older teenager?

Or will it put him off bringing girls up to his roomwink

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 12:46:03

bodycolder Sat 31-Oct-09 12:48:02

How old is he?ds is 15 and has had a 4ft small double since he was about 10.We got him a new bed this year and let him choose he chose a footballers style leather thing really hideous but he said it was 'for the ladies' hmm He's 15 grin I like those loft beds but ds wouldn't have one prefers a seperate desk

Lilymaid Sat 31-Oct-09 12:50:13

Teenagers prefer double beds if possible. They will spend a lot of time lazing around in bed, so perhaps won't want to be in close proximity to the ceiling. It is a faff to change bed linen (unless you have a helpful teenager). It won't stop him bringing in girls!

inthesticks Sat 31-Oct-09 13:13:05

I second the double bed idea. I bought DS a loft type bed and it's a real nightmare to change the sheets, you have to climb up and try to do it while on the bed. After a year I got rid of it and got the double.

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 16:41:24

LOL bodycoolergrin

He's only 8 1/2 now, but DH is thinking of something that will last... DD has had a loft bed since she was 4 and I agree, they are a pain to change. Probably would have to be changed more often fot a teenage boy, too wink grin

We have a high-ceilinged Victorian house, so he wouldn't be uncomfortably close to the ceiling in a loft bed, but I bed he would love a double bed.

Surely not everyone could fit a double bed into their teenagers bedrooms?

SausageRocket Sat 31-Oct-09 16:46:48

My DS's (now 17.5 and almost 16) have had standard double beds (4'6") since they were 12 & 10 and had bedrooms large enough to accomodate them.

DD (now 7) has had a double for around 2yrs.

Can't say that having double beds has turned my 2 lads into irresistible sex machines where teenaged girls are concerned.

GetOrfMoiLand Sat 31-Oct-09 16:50:14

DD had a loft bed from 9-11 and it was crap. She didn't particularly like it, and changing the sheets was a pain.

We got her a double when she was 11, it is far better. Doubles a good idea for teens imo. Most of her friends have doubles as well so think it is very common.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sat 31-Oct-09 16:51:15

Neither of my girls' rooms would fit a double bed. They just have normal wooden beds but I keep wondering whether we should get dd2 a high-rise. However, I think it might make her (v small) bedroom actually seem darker and more cluttered.

SausageRocket Sat 31-Oct-09 16:52:47

I would always recommend a double if you have the space.

It can double up as a guest bed then too, if necessary

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 16:54:34

God, if DD had a double, we would barely be able to get through her door! None of her friends have doubles yet (she's 10), and we are all living in Victorian houses which are not renowned for enormous bedrooms....

<<Wonder if DH and I will have to squeeze into a single bed in her room so that she can have the double in ours in 3 years time>>

bodycolder Sat 31-Oct-09 16:55:00

this is the offending article

bigTillyMint Sat 31-Oct-09 17:37:18

LOL!

Does he show the ladeez pictures of it to entice them back grin

bodycolder Sat 31-Oct-09 17:38:38

If he could I think he would His nickname at the moment is desperate dan!

SausageRocket Sat 31-Oct-09 17:41:52

Blimey, your 15 yo had a generous bed budget, especially given that you spent £425 (exclusing mattress) for something which you think is vile!

SausageRocket Sat 31-Oct-09 17:42:06

excluding

LouIsAWeetbixKid Sat 31-Oct-09 17:44:39

DC 15yo and 6'1 has a loft bed. We had is specially made. It is 6ft high and we stuck the piano and desk under it. It is near impossible to get him out of it in the mornings as I can no longer actually drag him out of bed. It is horrible to make but I don't do it so I really don't mind that. The good thing is that you do not see the unmade bed anymore!

bodycolder Sat 31-Oct-09 17:44:42

Already had the mattress.This will last him forever!

mumeeee Sat 31-Oct-09 17:59:14

DD317 is in a loft bed as she has a very small room.She changes her own sheets!She finds it great although she does need a new mattress.

mumblechum Tue 03-Nov-09 10:25:46

DS's room is quite small (his choice) so as he has a drumkit etc in there he has a loft bed but with a double sofa bed underneath, so he & his mates loll around on the sofa and if they have sleepovers, pull it out.

It's a good solution for us, but the changing sheepts thing is definately a two person job.

He's 15 btw

LollipopVioletsExplodingRocket Tue 03-Nov-09 19:32:50

Bodycolder, as a 19 y/o girl, I have to say...

That bed is hideous!

I had a mid sleeper (2 rung ladder thing) from age 12 to 16. Only reason I had to get rid of it was that I was getting a bit heavy for it and the metal frame was starting to buckle! It was a pain to change too.

Docbunches Tue 03-Nov-09 19:51:28

Although loft beds look great, in reality they take up a huge amount of space and I think some older teenagers would think they were not that cool, tbh.

My DD had a lovely looking Stompa bed for a few years, but it was pain to change the sheets and made her room look really dark and I always felt like you couldn't swing a cat in there. I couldn't wait to get rid. Fortunately we got a good price for it on Ebay.

She now has a small double (4ft) we got from Argos with bookshelves in the headboard. It's brilliant.

My DS has a standard single bed because his room is quite small, but he likes being all cosy!

optimisticmumma Fri 06-Nov-09 23:39:26

My DS (17 - 6 ft 1in) has just replaced stompa for a double . Suffice to say, he wasn't sleeping... Luckily for us his bedroom is downstairs...grin
Agree with everyone else. Loft beds are fairly uncomfortable and difficult to change the bedding etc etc..

Danthe4th Sat 07-Nov-09 16:34:56

Get the stompa with the desk and bed settee underneath, then best of both worlds, just bought a second hand stompa off a friend for 12 year old dd and its brilliant, really sturdy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now