Talk

Advanced search

Found a 'plot' written by DD, is this normal behaviour??

(13 Posts)
PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 14:35:07

Yesterday I found a "plot" written in DDs bedroom. It was all about stealing a horse from the local stables and had detailed roads, directions, times etc. She seemed to have put a lot of effort into timing etc and had even plotted how to quieten the guard dog and lead the horse away without being caught.

She's 13. Last year we found a plot in her bedroom regarding taking a police dog (one we knew) and travelling across the city with it to a friends house so she could pretend it was hers. This one she actually carried out.

Is this even normal behaviour? DH thinks she's just fantasising and if it hadn't been for the police dog thing I would have agreed but what if she means this one too? I've not mentioned it to her yet.

MayorNaze Fri 23-Oct-09 14:36:14

this sounds v odd. confront her.

thatsnotmymonster Fri 23-Oct-09 14:37:07

Wow- no advice! Sounds like a very active fantasy/imagination but for the fact she has previously done something similar!

Attention seeking?

NorbertDentressangle Fri 23-Oct-09 14:37:32

She took a police dog? Without permission? To a friends?

RainBOOJelly Fri 23-Oct-09 14:39:37

difficult, could you confront her without actually saying you have found it - maybe she will hide more things from you if you tell her you found it. Could you bring up the dog incident and chat to her about that?

PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 14:44:05

She does really strange and dangerous things all the time. One night she decided to see what it was like to sleep rough so she told me she was sleeping at a friends house. I phoned the friends parents and was told everything was fine. I later found out her and the friend had put friends older sister up to speaking as mum on the phone and both had spent the night walking the streets.

She once got on a train to London "just to see what it was like" etc.

I'm worried sick tbh.

The police dog incident - she was given permission to walk the dog on a nearby field. She had an hour to return the dog. Three hours later, major search for girl and dog sad

EyeOfFrogSpawnChorus Fri 23-Oct-09 14:44:11

Your DD is clearly a G&T crim shock

Pennies Fri 23-Oct-09 14:45:52

Confront her.

EyeOfFrogSpawnChorus Fri 23-Oct-09 14:49:05

Sorry x-posted with you last post. She does sound like a bit of a live wire! I'm impressed by her sense od adventure and initiative and planning skills, but blimey she must be keeping you on your toes!

thatsnotmymonster Fri 23-Oct-09 14:50:49

maybe she is really adventurous and needs 'controlled' adventures...

what hobbies does she do? How about doing Duke of Edinburgh, rock climbing, allowing her to camp out at night somewhere but with the right precautions etc.

When I was 13/14 me and 4 friends begged our parents to let us go on a holiday on our own- they met and eventually decided we could. We got the bus to a YH about 30 miles away, stayed there for a night then hiked to another YH in the middle of nowhere- probably a few miles away from the first, and stayed there 2 nights before hiking back to bus stop and getting the bus home. We got up to absolutely nothing but had great fun!

PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 14:51:19

She's gone missing a few times though, the time involving London involved the police (we're in Yorkshire!) but I remember her going missing when she was about 8. She just wondered off deciding to 'explore' the local woods taking her 5 year old nephew with her. It caused a massive family barney.

thatsnotmymonster Fri 23-Oct-09 15:10:20

Have you ever discussed it with her? asked her why she does it? explained the dangers?

I mean I'm pretty sure you have, and she sounds bright and pretty clued up, so what does she say?

tatt Fri 23-Oct-09 18:43:33

Teenage fantasies are normal, putting them into action isn't as they don't generally have that much iniative and are too scared of the consequences when caught.

What consequences were there when she took the dog and for her other expolits?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now