Talk

Advanced search

Career Paths

(8 Posts)
cat64 Thu 22-Oct-09 19:35:12

Message withdrawn

flashharriet Thu 22-Oct-09 19:39:30

How about this as a starting point? They have a tool to assess your skills and interests, plus there's over 700 job descriptions on there - might help her to rule some stuff out which would be a start?

Lilymaid Thu 22-Oct-09 19:49:37

Lots of independent schools use Morrisby tests. DS1 did them but was convinced that it gave the same result for nearly everyone in his class - and was very disappointed to find that the careers suggested for him were exactly the same ones as I'd considered for myself when I was a teenager. He's done something different for his degree and job.

cat64 Thu 22-Oct-09 19:56:36

Message withdrawn

brummiemummie Thu 22-Oct-09 20:41:54

I had triplets in Year 11 last year so I know just what your DN is going through! It is difficult when they don't know what they want to do, DD didn't have any idea at all and is equally good at all her subjects just like your niece. There were a few sites we went on to help her make her mind up:

Fast Tomato is the careers site they use at my DCs school, click. You have to specify what school you go to when you register but if yours isn't signed up you can just select "None of These" and it lets you sign up anyway.

The Prospects graduate careers website also has a feature where you can find out "What jobs would suit me?" comparing jobs to your interests, what you want from your job etc; although it's aimed more at uni students/graduates so some of the questions aren't that relevant. You have to sign up for Prospects to use it but again if you put "None of the Above" in as where you currently study, the site will let you sign up without having studied at university.

If she's predicted 10 A*s she will probably be considering going to a fairly decent university. I don't whether you already know this but some A-Levels are not as "respected" by the top unis - so a candidate with Maths, Philosophy, History and French at A-Level will be more impressive than one with Film Studies, Dance, Critical Thinking and Law. There is a fairly helpful list here, in case it's of any interest.

She could have a look and see if there are any particular university courses she would be interested in on the UCAS website and then check what A-Levels are needed. If she really has no idea what to do I would advise her to do what she enjoys and do a range of subjects to keep her options open.

Bear in mind that if she hates one of her A-Level courses within the first month or so she should be allowed to change it, so it's not the end of the world if she gets her options wrong. You never know, by this time next year she may have more idea!

I hope this helps, sorry I've gone on a bitblush

BM x

brimfull Thu 22-Oct-09 20:48:55

Great advice already given.
My dd is i yr 13 and didn't have a clue what she wanted to do for a levels in yr 11. When we went to the 6th form evening and had to sort of choose which subjects we wanted to look at we focussed on what she enjoyed the most .

She changed her mind half way through 6th form mind you but is still on track.

I would second the advice to steer for academic A levels to keep her options open.

cat64 Thu 22-Oct-09 23:39:42

Message withdrawn

cat64 Sat 24-Oct-09 14:28:43

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now