Talk

Advanced search

Inscription for 18 year old's 'dog tag' - HELP please

(9 Posts)
Kayran Wed 21-Oct-09 14:58:27

Dear all, My 18 year old nephew has requested an armani dog tag as his birthday gift. It is a sterling silver chain and then a disc of silver in the shape of a dog tag. Then there is a leather flap that covers the dogtag. very discrete and actually quite nice in a groovy, trendy £150 way! Anyway I need to get it engraved and it can take about 9 - 10 words. I was thinking of just having his name and then his date of birth (like an army number, no dots or gaps). However I really do want to put 'love' in there but think that this might be a step too far. Anyone have any nice little quotes or any ideas what is acceptable (or wanted) by 18year olds? All contributions greatfully receivedgrin

Kayran Wed 21-Oct-09 18:32:46

bump...

lou33 Wed 21-Oct-09 18:38:06

if it were my dd i would be tempted to engrave

"tidy your room"

you could always add, there's a love?

grin

you are a very generous aunt to be spending that amount of money btw

Kayran Wed 21-Oct-09 18:57:45

well if I am honest it is because I have exhanged my tesco's vouchers for Goldsmiths ones and each £2.50 tesco got me £10 of goldmsith credit. So it's more generous of tesco than anything... But I will not be telling him that. I just want something a bit sassy and yet nice and I am useless at that sort of thing.

lou33 Wed 21-Oct-09 19:32:05

i am impressed at your ability to save your vouchers too

mumonthenet Wed 21-Oct-09 23:37:45

Kayran,

does he want it engraved? Don't get me wrong I think engraving is a lovely idea, am just thinking how particular teenagers are and if something's wrong it's just sooooooooooooo wrong.

I think your idea of the birthdate is great - with no dots or gaps, but then I'm just an old mum! Could you or his mum ask one of his friends for advice?

malovitt Wed 21-Oct-09 23:42:40

I would give him the tag and tell him you'll pay to have it engraved with the words of his choice.

lou33 Wed 21-Oct-09 23:51:29

the birthdate is a good idea, as is letting him choose

it is v definitely better than someone i met as a teen many years ago, who chose to tattoo himself with "too tough to die" at a similar age

Kayran Thu 22-Oct-09 07:24:56

Thank you all - yep I think I might get the birthdate on the bottom in numbers and then say would you like your name or anything else. He is about to join the RAF as a police men (see the policemen really are getting younger) so he is fairly sensible but I am pretty sure whatever I put wwould be somehow not wrong but just not 'right'!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now