Talk

Advanced search

Shop lifting and too much parental honesty

(5 Posts)
OrmIrian Mon 12-Oct-09 13:44:48

Last week DS#1 and I had a whole evening along together going to a concert. We were chatting about this and that and we started talking about when I was a child. In a moment of stupidity I admitted that I had once shop-lifted (a packet of chewing gum) when I was with a friend who did it all the time (she was later nicked in a shop and thrown out of school). I had felt pressurised to do what she was doing. Anyway, DS then confessed to me that he'd done it a 'few' times. Having already said I had done the same I didn't feel I could tear a strip of him so just told him it was a stupid thing to do and that I never wanted him to do it again. He could get into major trouble. He asked if I was going to tell his dad - I said I wouldn't as I felt I had 'tricked' him into confessing (not intentionally).

WWYD? Should I have been harder on him?

BTW DS isn't quite a teenager yet but it feels like he is most of the time hmm

FlightAttendant Mon 12-Oct-09 13:47:32

Orm, I can't see where you went wrong here. Although I would be asking what he had nicked and what he had done with it - and we would be taking this stuff back to the shops in question probably...not sure if that might make it worse actually!

You probably handled it right.

hanaflower Mon 12-Oct-09 13:47:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OrmIrian Mon 12-Oct-09 13:53:19

I don't think he still has the stuff to take back - it was all edibles. I hope he won't do it again but there are no guarantees. I think I left him in no doubt that I'd be angry if I ever found out about it happening again.

Fingers crossed.

Thanks.

hana - he is such a lovely chap it's hard not to have a good relationship with him smile He can be frustrating though - too laidback and not enough get up and go sometimes!

OrmIrian Mon 12-Oct-09 15:08:23

It was also strange to feel the parental relationship slip slightly and realise that we had things in common - albeit at a distance of 30 yrs or so. I think he felt it too.

I keep waiting for him to start to treat me with the disdain that teenagers are supposed to treat their mothers grin I'm sure it will come with time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now